Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,284 times

Advertisements

Hello Most worthy readers,

I've been reading these forums for the past couple of weeks and appreciate all the great replies and input provided. Thanks in advance for your guidance!

So, possibly moving to LA for a new job (from Michigan!). The new job is in Miracle Mile(MM). We are a small family with a single child going into high school. Without sounding too needy, (location, cheap, safe) here is what we are hoping for:
- Minimal commute to MM (hopefully less than 30) I dont mind getting up early to beat morning traffic and will likely stay later than 6 if that matters)
- Decent school for an upcoming 9th grader
- Safe - preferably neighborhoods with minimal violent/sexual crimes
- Roomy - 2bed2bath min - prefer 3bed2bath (who wouldnt!?)
- Affordable - hoping to find something for less than 2500 a month
- Prefer to rent a house but a nice apartment is definitely an option (my fiance is a bit more particular about living in an apartment

I've heard Culver City and Santa Monica through reading these forums. Only issue is, Santa Monica renting seems outside my budget (am I missing something?) and Culver City seems spotty with regards to areas of safety (somewhat nervous here).

I've been searching zillow, rent.com and apartments.com - any other sources to search for rentals? Should I be looking into craigslist? Also, how is the used/affordable furniture market down there? Debating the move versus sell options...

Anywho, without telling you I'm a scorpio and enjoy trail running - this is probably already a bit wordy.

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaikus View Post
Hello Most worthy readers,

- Minimal commute to MM (hopefully less than 30) I dont mind getting up early to beat morning traffic and will likely stay later than 6 if that matters)
MM is a ways from freeways, and the closest freeways are fairly busy. I'd just assume that you can travel about 15 mph, so you need to live within 7 or 8 miles of MM.

Nothing within 7 miles of MM will meet all of your requirements, so you'll have to decide which requirements are really just hopes that you can live without.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
You're options are quite minimal.

First off most parts of Culver City are perfectly fine. I dunno where people get these oddball ideas. Aside of that, the nearest areas with good public schools are Burbank, S. Pasadena, and El Segundo. Any of those is about a 45 minute rush hour commute to miracle mile area.

Edit- just checked GPS at 610 pm

Miracle Mile to

-Culver City: 4.5 miles, 15 min
-Burbank: 10 miles, 33 min
-South Pasadena: 15.5 miles, 38 min
-El Segundo: 13.5 miles, 33 min.

Last edited by JohnG72; 11-05-2012 at 07:14 PM..

Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 PM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times
La Crescenta is also a great area, with excellent public schools, but the commute may be longer than you would like, especially in rush hour traffic.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:43 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,375 times
There are good schools within the Los Angeles Unified School District, but you'd need somebody with a good working knowledge of the school system to help you identify them. I had a relative who lived in Park La Brea, just west of the Miracle Mile--the school serving that complex had a large number of Korean immigrants.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,379 times
Of the cities mentioned, El Segundo and South Pasadena have the higher ranked high schools. Finding a 3 bedroom, detached or otherwise, in any of those places for under $2500 is going to be tough, though Burbank does have some options (attached).

I wouldn't recommend craigslist. Rental scams are on the rise, and even if you're not being scammed, I've found craigslist people to be rather flaky. Realtor.com and Trulia also have rental listings. I think Realtor.com tends to have more up-to-date information than the others, generally speaking.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,284 times
Appreciate the replies!

Some additional options for me to look into: Culver City (still), Burbank and S. Pasadena

Looked into La Brea area like the budget and roominess of the apartments- but the schools and safety were a factor enough to have me look else where. Is this accurate?

Ratings, zones, and web info only go so far... So Thanks again for your insights

I currently commute about 20 minutes for work - so i'm okay "sucking it up" with a 45 min commute... looks like a prius may be in my future..

Also - I've prioritized my "requirements" if this is more helpful
1 - Safety
2 - Schools
3 - Budget
4 - Commute
5 - Roomy
6 - House vs Apartments

Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaikus View Post

Looked into La Brea area like the budget and roominess of the apartments- but the schools and safety were a factor enough to have me look else where. Is this accurate?

Ratings, zones, and web info only go so far... So Thanks again for your insights
The Miracle Mile area is VERY safe. I can't comment on the quality of the schools but the area in general is very desirable and safe.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
you should be able to find a nice 2br apartment in culver city for $2500. you may also consider beverly hills, which is close to the miracle mile. i'm nearly certain you could find a 2br apartment for around $2500 in one of the less flashy areas of BH and your child can attend the highly regarded BHHS. FYI, BH is not all mansions, much of the city is quite urban with many options for apartment living. if your fiance must have a house, you'll have to tell her that you'll be on the road for considerably longer than 30 minutes each way on your daily commute.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
you should be able to find a nice 2br apartment in culver city for $2500. you may also consider beverly hills, which is close to the miracle mile. i'm nearly certain you could find a 2br apartment for around $2500 in one of the less flashy areas of BH and your child can attend the highly regarded BHHS. FYI, BH is not all mansions, much of the city is quite urban with many options for apartment living. if your fiance must have a house, you'll have to tell her that you'll be on the road for considerably longer than 30 minutes each way on your daily commute.
Seconding Beverly Hills, you can definitely find 2500 places along the border, closer to Wilshire, which will in turn put you at BHHS and very close to Miracle Mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles