U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 24,568 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm moving to L.A. in a couple of months. After reading TONS of mixed opinions about L.A. on this forum, it sounds crazy out there, but I'm excited to get into the mix. Here is my situation: I'm moving with my girlfriend, and we will both be working from home and traveling around quite a bit. We plan to rent an apartment, and want to be somewhere with an "urban feel," somewhere where we can walk to a fair amount of stuff. I'd rather avoid the strip malls, and be near interesting, independent restaurants/coffee shops/bars etc. Also, it would be cool to be relatively close to a park or two, some art galleries, bike shops, etc, but I understand its a mixed bag so we'll take what we can get. Given the choice, wed be more interested in an older area than perfect new construction.

Based on travel requirements, we have narrowed it down to the general area around Burbank, Glendale, and Pasadena. We dont want to go too far east (too hot?), and anything too much closer to L.A. or too much further west than the 405 (I think) may be too inconvenient for our jobs and for general congestion. So given the aforementioned area, which has the coolest neighborhoods? Any tips for good streets/areas to check out? Which has the worst smog/congestion? Ill be heading out there in a month for a home finding trip, and hope to narrow down our search.

Thanks.

(P.S. I tried to attach a map of the area we're looking at - hope that helps)
Attached Thumbnails
Burbank vs. Glendale vs. Pasadena - Where to move?-move_map.bmp  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 11:10 AM

12,980 posts, read 18,899,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftChicago View Post
Hello! We plan to rent an apartment, and want to be somewhere with an "urban feel," somewhere where we can walk to a fair amount of stuff. I'd rather avoid the strip malls, and be near interesting, independent restaurants/coffee shops/bars etc. Also, it would be cool to be relatively close to a park or two, some art galleries, bike shops, etc, but I understand its a mixed bag so we'll take what we can get. )
Pasadena offers more of what your looking for than Burbank and Glendale. Im curious, what made you guys even consider Glendale and Burbank? Miracle Mile and the Grove area in LA are also very nice options, but it sounds like you prefer the Valley areas. Is this true?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the reply. We haven't been out there, so we're guessing/reading stuff on the net/going on random recommendations. We need short access to everything from LA to Santa Clarita, and both of those seem to be on opposite extremes. Some relocation people said Glendale is a better bet for stuff to do, and Burbank is a little nicer with stuff to do as well. So you think Pasadena has more stuff than the others?

I don't know about the Miracle Mile or the Grove. Where are they? What are they like?

Old 10-11-2007, 12:24 PM

41 posts, read 151,999 times
Burbank has the best schools. - see lalife.com for stats of schools, prices and safety.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:36 PM

412 posts, read 1,074,275 times
Pasadena is a more happening place for young people (though still pretty tame) than Glendale or Burbank, but farthest from airports. And all three will hit triple digits in the dead of summer.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:58 PM

Sounds like Pasadena might be the best bet of the three. Anyone have any thoughts about Los Feliz or Silver Lake, or something around Griffith Park? How would these compare for traffic/driving up to Santa Clarita or out to Pasadena?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 PM

5,579 posts, read 8,052,904 times
All three are kind of similar, depending on where you live. If you move to Burbank, look for something above Glenoaks close to the Media Center Mall. If you move to Glendale, look for something near Brand Ave. north of Colorado Blvd. Pasadena, I'm not sure where the best places are to live but it's got the biggest "downtown" of the three cities.

All three cities share borders so it's not like you can really tell when you move from one town to the next (although Eagle Rock is between Glendale & Pasadena but Eagle Rock isn't very big). When you are driving, Burbank to Pasadena takes 15 minutes on the freeway and maybe 1/2 hour on surface streets. Things are very compact out here.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:51 PM

412 posts, read 1,074,275 times
Echo Park, Silver Lake and Los Feliz are all next to each other and all have their charms. Echo Park: Gritty, bohemian, funky, least expensive rents. Silver Lake: Gritty but gentrifying, hip, more expensive rents. Los Feliz: Gentrified and hip, most expensive rents. All are walkable with plenty of shops and restaurants of all varieties and are close to downtown and parks and a couple of major freeways. Driving to Pasadena would require squeezing thru the downtown bottleneck, which is always congested.

The Miracle Mile and Grove are very nice areas east of Beverly Hills, but are not freeway accessible. Traffic on surface streets can get very clogged at times. Shops and restaurants are within walking distance and Pan Pacific Park is right there, plus LACMA.

Last edited by Cubancoffee; 10-11-2007 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: added information

Old 10-11-2007, 06:27 PM

47 posts, read 119,207 times
I would stick with Pasadena. It sounds as though you are from the Chicago area based on your name. Pasadena is the nicest of the 3 though it gets hot in the summer. Pasadena is more reminsescent of the midwest becuase it is older and retains the charm of time past infused with gentrification and new developments.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,522,934 times
I've been looking at places in all 3 areas and finally made an offer on a home in Pasadena. I felt Pasadena surpassed the other 2 areas when it comes to having neighborhoods with scenic appeal, it feels more like a city unto itself with lots of shopping, dining, other social options, and it appears have a greater range of diversity (across all groups) unlike a Glendale, Burbank, or Arcadia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles