Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 10:47 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendDogood View Post
is it true that many normal families are heading for the exit with life in the LA area because of the high housing costs? Is it true that LA is more secular than other parts of the country.I am a prosperity minister teaching the love and empowerment of jesus christ.I have been offered the chance of a new startup church in Miami Florida or Los Angeles,Ca Now I am graduating from law school soon so I can expect to do pretty well financially but I am concerned about what I read on these boards.How much does a person have to make to afford a good lifestyle in LA or Orange County in a descent area with little to no crime,good schools,etc.
I don't know of many young, middle class families that move here and are really excited about raising a family...it's usually...

-You have people that have lived here awhile, that are tired of it and ready to move. Because of traffic, congestion, high cost of living. Terrible schools. The schools are definitely a sticking point. My neighbors moved away this summer, in part because there werent any good middle schools or highschools around here.

-Alot of people move for work related reasons. But they may have to pay more to get a good school district.

In 98% of the country, if you live in a house worth $500,000 to $1,000,000, you're zoned to a good school district. Here, you've got people in $800,000, $900,000 homes zoned to highschools with shootings, and places that are a dump.

-Also, theres no continuity among neighborhoods. You have small pockets of nice neighborhoods, and 5 minutes away you're in a bad area.

If you looked at a map of west la, and marked the good areas, and not so good, your map would look like a checkerboard. You have celebrities living in venice, and then 4 minutes away, places that are run down. Downtown culver city looks wonderful, but go to the west side of culver city, not so hot. Or go 15 minutes east of downtown culver city, and its not so good.

Its also very, very fast paced. Everyone is in their own little world, you may not see friends or acquantances for 6 months, 2 years. Time flies by. Its not the area to raise a family IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 11:33 PM

129 posts, read 663,107 times
Reverend and Confederate = The same person

The least you could do is write your posts differently, to make it a little more believable.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:33 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I am personally leaving CA once I get out of college and have to move out and yes the main reason is housing costs. It isn't going to work out being a single dude making 20k/year (or less) and paying 800-1k/month rent. I am mainly planning on moving to Texas - low real estate prices and lower taxes. Yea Texas isn't like CA but then again at least in Texas I can afford to have a decent lifestyle that I am happy with. Then again, I only go to school/work and rarely ever go out on the town so I probably won't miss CA since I haven't actually seen it lol.
Why would you work for 20k a year with a college degree ??

Old 10-15-2007, 08:58 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post
Yep. He sure is.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:21 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I don't know of many young, middle class families that move here and are really excited about raising a family...it's usually...

-You have people that have lived here awhile, that are tired of it and ready to move. Because of traffic, congestion, high cost of living. Terrible schools. The schools are definitely a sticking point. My neighbors moved away this summer, in part because there werent any good middle schools or highschools around here.

-Alot of people move for work related reasons. But they may have to pay more to get a good school district.

In 98% of the country, if you live in a house worth $500,000 to $1,000,000, you're zoned to a good school district. Here, you've got people in $800,000, $900,000 homes zoned to highschools with shootings, and places that are a dump.

-Also, theres no continuity among neighborhoods. You have small pockets of nice neighborhoods, and 5 minutes away you're in a bad area.

If you looked at a map of west la, and marked the good areas, and not so good, your map would look like a checkerboard. You have celebrities living in venice, and then 4 minutes away, places that are run down. Downtown culver city looks wonderful, but go to the west side of culver city, not so hot. Or go 15 minutes east of downtown culver city, and its not so good.

Its also very, very fast paced. Everyone is in their own little world, you may not see friends or acquantances for 6 months, 2 years. Time flies by. Its not the area to raise a family IMO.
I second every point in the above post. My POV is based upon having lived here for over five decades and having observed the same facts and trends.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:44 PM

194 posts, read 303,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post

The least you could do is write your posts differently, to make it a little more believable.
Oh, you mean you caught the run-on sentences and lack of caps at the beginning of sentences too?

The good Reverend had better be careful, because the gang-bangers, drug dealers, and degenerates aren't the *ONLY* ones going to Hell (if they don't change their ways). You can be wicked and never lay a finger on anyone.

Tom Metzger, Matt Hale, David Duke, and Alex Curtis never layed a hand on anyone **hint hint hint, Rev** But they are what they are.

Also, the Confederacy (and the Nazis, and Soviet Communists, for that matter) all lost in the end. Guess it's safe to say God wasn't on their side.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:59 PM

38,880 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Well, not that this is a place for biblical discussion, but prosperity preachers are what gave christianity a HUGE BLACK EYE in the 80's...

"Just send your money in now!!!"

Jesus talked more about money than he did hell, and none of it had to do with "getting to be prosperous." If I wasn't afraid of being banned, I'd really let loose.
There is a Religion forum on this site for those kind of discussions. Check it out!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
Today I was in venice, lincoln blvd, a little bit of santa monica, a little bit of marina del rey.

The scenery changes in 5 minutes around here. It doesnt resemble anything like a normal middle class neighborhood in most of the country...

-Lincoln is a mess, dirty, run down. Any LA resident would tell you that.

-Marina Del Rey, 5 minutes from lincoln, is sparkling new, looks gorgeous. They renovated a shopping center down there with a ralphs, theres a great post office there. Go there on a 75 degree day with clear sky, just amazing.

-There's some great restaurants down there over looking the water (cheesecake factory among others, just gorgeous at night).

-Then go 5 minutes away to venice high school, and a kid was shot and killed there a year or two ago in the parking lot. Terrible.

-Then check out Centinella between Washington and Culver. Not so hot.

-Then keep going south down towards LMU, gorgeous. It looks like a brand new LA.

-Downtown Culver City looks great. They're redone it beautifully. I know alot of the middle class would be sorry to leave it behind. Why would the middle class leave a place like that behind?

-Then go a mile or two up the road to Venice blvd, you're back to terrible. Dirty and run down.

It doesnt have to look like beverly hills or brentwood to keep the middle class. If there was continuity among neighborhoods, and your 8 year old son could bike through the neighborhoods without worrying about going down the wrong street, or in the wrong area, people would be thrilled. But it just isnt like that.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:11 PM

34 posts, read 105,307 times
That guy is an idiot and I am not in any way affiliated with him or know or approve of anything he has said.I was only looking for general information.I believe we may move to Florida but am still gathering information.I am dissapointed to see so many living on the streets with no where to go in the LA area.You would think the state could find a way to help.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:15 PM

34 posts, read 105,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Rosecranz View Post
Oh, you mean you caught the run-on sentences and lack of caps at the beginning of sentences too?

The good Reverend had better be careful, because the gang-bangers, drug dealers, and degenerates aren't the *ONLY* ones going to Hell (if they don't change their ways). You can be wicked and never lay a finger on anyone.

Tom Metzger, Matt Hale, David Duke, and Alex Curtis never layed a hand on anyone **hint hint hint, Rev** But they are what they are.

Also, the Confederacy (and the Nazis, and Soviet Communists, for that matter) all lost in the end. Guess it's safe to say God wasn't on their side.
Hitler was a strong beliver in the theory of evolution and the survival of the fittest.This is why he believed in the Aryan super race.Atheism and unbelief have did far more harm than christianity.Stalin was greatly influenced by his reading of Darwin.If people are just cells than he had no problem eliminating millions in his gulags.If only those who claim there is no God and the bible is a collection of stories could see him in Hell.As far as who is going to hell anyone who confesses with their mouth that Jesus Christ is their saviour will be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles