Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:28 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,177,168 times

Advertisements

Brooks Brothers Coming to the Jonathan Club in Downtown LA | DTLA RISING
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 02:04 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,593,930 times
It's good to see upscale retailers making the move back to Downtown. However, given how much the area has changed in the past few yrs I'm not sure that BB really jibes with the area's young adult hipster culture. And LA in general isn't a suit city like Manhattan or DC at all. I only know of a couple major law firms that require full suits everyday. The vast majority of offices are biz casual and anything associated with entertainment or tech is polo & jeans.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:03 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,928,547 times
Ugh! For a second I thought you meant the Drum n' Bass act 'Brookes Brothers'. I was getting well excited! and then I thought hang on, why would anyone post that in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAyP...feature=relmfu

Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,177,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
It's good to see upscale retailers making the move back to Downtown. However, given how much the area has changed in the past few yrs I'm not sure that BB really jibes with the area's young adult hipster culture. And LA in general isn't a suit city like Manhattan or DC at all. I only know of a couple major law firms that require full suits everyday. The vast majority of offices are biz casual and anything associated with entertainment or tech is polo & jeans.
Downtown is more much more than young hipsters. Many people including myself still wear suits to work. I bought a nice Hugo Boss suit from Macy's recently but it's nice to have choices. I think Brooks Brothers will do well downtown.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,599,512 times
I barely see ppl wear Sperry topsiders much less Brooks Brothers in LA.

This is by far the least preppiest city I've ever been to. I'm pretty preppy and I feel out of place in my Lacoste polos, Sperry's and khaki shorts.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,097,607 times
i have a pair of Sperry's, but you'll never see me wearing them with khakis and a polo.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,154,481 times
Wow that is kinda weird, it was down the block from the Jonathan Club when it closed before. I hope it does well this time.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:57 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,763,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I barely see ppl wear Sperry topsiders much less Brooks Brothers in LA.

This is by far the least preppiest city I've ever been to. I'm pretty preppy and I feel out of place in my Lacoste polos, Sperry's and khaki shorts.
As a Californian born and raised, I had no idea what Sperry Topsiders were until I moved to Boston.

Great addition to Los Angeles and I'm sure there is enough of a clientele for them to be successful, but yeah LA is a very casual-dressing city. My wife (who is an attorney) has to wear suits about 3 days a week and the rest of the week it is business casual. It's annoying because in Hollywood we have at least 6 suit-retailers (probably low quality tho) but all they sell is men's suits! Just frustrating for her.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,599,512 times
That is strange. We make frequent trips to lawyers offices who work with special needs kids and we find their offices to be quite casual for law firms. It is very business casual.

That would never fly in Houston or Boston or NYC or any other city I've been to.

Another gold star for LA!

Old 11-08-2012, 02:17 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,426,792 times
Yeah, it's a good (re)addition to DT but for myself the classic boxy American Brooks Brothers suit doesn't look good on my frame. They're cutting slimmer though, apparently, so the newer two-piece is better for mixing. I think Brooks Brothers needs to create that kind of style flexibility to adapt and brand itself for the Los Angeles market. This should be a specific campaign for its store opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: