U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 02:48 PM

810 posts, read 1,085,791 times

Advertisements

^^^^

You might be the first person in history to move to LA for that reason, the sheer geography of it. Yet, there has to be more reason you chose LA over OC, Inland Empire, San Diego, etc.

I also cannot stand how people think they are so exemplary for liking a particular sports team (overdone with the Bears & Cubs), that is arguably the most annoying thing ever.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 PM

215 posts, read 406,673 times
LA can be devastating or it can be a savior. When I graduated college I applied to jobs all over the country and I got the most call backs from companies in LA. I got the best salary vs. COL offers from the companies I interviewed with in LA, so I moved out here and never looked back...this was January 2011. I wasn't getting good offers in Boston or NYC, nor in Chicago or Miami, LA wasn't even on my radar as a place I could live.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:10 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,548,962 times
LA can be utilized best by college grads with relevant skills. Like a staffer told me LA has a lot of job openings but no one is qualified to do them. Instead LA has A LOT of young people with no discernible skills, no degrees, no professional outlook, both native and transplant, and they're all taking the low wage retail and low office work.

There are so many opportunities to take advantage of in LA it's not even funny, I just think the majority of the population is just oblivious to it or not informed. You guys do not know how lucky you are to live in a city with the access to local city politics just by getting involved in local neighborhood stuff. I met the deputy director of city planning of LA, two councilmen from the Valley, attended a speech by the Mayor. I've attended fundraisers for my clinic that featured big Hollywood stars and even casually flirted with a vapid reality tv star. All this in five months!

All you gotta do is make time, stop trying to look chic and all glam, nix the celeb stalking, and adapt to a hardcore work ethic. The less you care about the LA image and just do what you want to do the more access you will find to the best LA has to offer.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:30 PM

810 posts, read 1,085,791 times
LA might be the only city I'd have a small interest in local politics, from a promotional standpoint at least. I only have good things to say about it, and I usually don't about most places because they're all the same boring conformist type places.

Would be funny to go there from somewhere local politics is religion (the midwest), to somewhere that generally overlooks it, but actually caring a littlle bit when I got there.

I'll run for mayor of LA, lol. I like LA that much.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM

8 posts, read 59,474 times
Quote:
You sound young, lazy, and unmotivated. Taking the easy way out by moving to LA might sound good to you right now, but as all too many people often find out, it's never easy and often ends in failure.

You complain about the competitiveness and aggressiveness of the northeast and how depressing it is that everyone around you is successful and hardworking
I was going to reply in the typical aggressive, snappy New England way to this, but decided to calm down before I posted, lol...

I don't take what I said as "complaining"... and I certainly never said it was depressing that people around me were successful...I don't consider money an indicator of "success"... What difference does it make if you make 100k a year vs someone that makes 20k a year... It doesn't change your worth as an individual ( and people that genuinely think it does, are looked at with contempt by anyone that matters )... You can buy more toys, that's it... That all gets played out eventually... Work "hard" so you can be "lazy" with your new toys...

Unless your end goal is a family in a nice neighborhood... it simply does not matter how much money you make.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your advice... It's the type of advice I usually get... and I've thought about it a lot...

I want to move and live in LA while I'm still young... I don't want to wait until I'm in my 30's just so I can do it the "smart" way... I'm going to have money saved up to live on for a while until i get a job... So it's not like I'm going to be homeless... Would it be "smarter" to have a swanky job lined up after spending some more miserable years in New England to make myself more appealing to employers so I could have a slightly more comfortable existence once I get to L.A... I don't think so at all... You probably think I'm being naive... I think leaving is the only wise decision.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,340,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
^^^^

You might be the first person in history to move to LA for that reason, the sheer geography of it. Yet, there has to be more reason you chose LA over OC, Inland Empire, San Diego, etc.

I also cannot stand how people think they are so exemplary for liking a particular sports team (overdone with the Bears & Cubs), that is arguably the most annoying thing ever.
Well, yeah sure for the excitement and diversity too - absolutely. But I simply was pointing out that there are also career reasons too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles