U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 02:11 AM

9,936 posts, read 4,627,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jancar View Post
All this talk really means nothing. Again, Americans, for the most part, will never know the true meaning of ghetto. You have it pretty good there, compared to most places on Earth. You want to see real ghetto, go south of the border. Go travel through Mexico and Latin America. Go to Africa and parts of the Middle East. You will understand the true meaning of ghetto after that.

I thought I knew ghetto, having grown up poor and in a "ghetto" neighborhood. I thought I knew. Boy was I wrong lol The first time I went to Mexico, I was shocked by how slummy the country is. Mexico is basically one huge ghetto, and it's ghetto the likes you never see in the United States. I've been to New York many times, and not even the South Bronx has anything on Mexico City. Nevermind some small town out in the boonies, where it's really horrible. Folks don't even have running water. It was like going back in time to the early 20th century. They're that far behind in some areas.

I'm sure there's many places in the United States where it's pretty bad. But believe me, you ain't see nothing. Be glad you live in the United States, where you have relative peace and prosperity. Many places on Earth don't have that. You don't know the meaning of poor, until your idea of a shower is pouring cold water on yourself with a bucket in the river. Which sadly is still how many human beings live.
Tone it down with the condescension on Latin America, I went to Ecuador two years ago and Cuenca is a pretty nice city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 04:04 AM

317 posts, read 282,322 times
I live in south central now and feel completely safe. People need to quit bashing on the ghetto. It's just a neighborhood with people going about their lives, just with less money. I can't stand people who stereotype ghetto neighborhoods as bad.

I'll admit, west LA is sure nicer to be in, and I prefer it to where I am. But where I'm at now at least has a sense of realism. People I've met from the "ghetto" are far more real and cool to be around than these rich arrogant and honestly fake people I deal with at my job in Beverly Hills.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:00 PM

29,217 posts, read 31,084,275 times
"ghetto" means "not as nice as I want" to many people, a slang word with no roots in anything. Not sure there is too much deep meaning there or what a documentary would cover but there you go. People don't like being told what words to use either because if they know what they mean, and the people they are talking to know what they means, it doesn't really matter what it means to anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or