U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 AM

4 posts, read 36,491 times
Default Decent Areas in Pomona?

Hello, everyone. I am moving to Pomona in about a month or two, and I was wondering if Indian Hill was a safe neighborhood to live in. Also, would you guys mind telling me which other parts of Pomona are decent areas to live in? I have tried to research the different areas of the city, but there isn't much information (if any) on them. Thank you all so much for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 AM

320 posts, read 1,201,577 times
Honest opinion, look just outside of Pomona. Claremont, Ontario, Diamond Bar, San Dimas, LaVerne, Chin,o Upland. all cleaner safer neighborhoods with better schools and communities and all within a 15 minutes drive to Pomona w/o using the freeways.

I am sure there are good parts of Pomona I am not sure where they are but am sure they are real close to the bad areas which is most of Pomona. I know Indian Hill and the 10Fwy has a reputation for having a bit of a postitution issue, with usually come drug issues as well, Near the hotel.

If you take Indian Hill NORTH from the 10Fwy about 2 miles you're in a good neighborhood, but not Pomona

Old 10-12-2007, 10:16 AM

Thank you so much for that info. I haven't looked at Claremont yet, but I definitely will now. Thanks again.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:23 AM

12,980 posts, read 18,205,787 times
Try asking someone in the San Bernardino/Inland Empire forum. You will probably get more responses than from the folks here on the LA Forum.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:17 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,745,295 times
Claremont is a fantastic city. If you don't have kids, North Pomona next to Claremont is still reasonable and a bit less expensive (even if you do have kids, I believe there is a slice of Pomona zoned for Claremont schools). But.. you definitely see the difference. From one side of the Pomona border it is ugly, to the other side in the Claremont city limits trees grow and birds sing. Seriously. :P I used to live close to the Pomona border in Claremont.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:53 PM

26 posts, read 71,867 times
I live in Phillips Ranch which I guess you could say is the nicer section of Pomona as it borders Diamond Bar and Chino Hills.If you must move to the Pomona area you need to stay on the western side over here.The only other area good is Ganesha Hills which are homes that are laced around the State Fair grounds.Phillips Ranch is a great diversity of white,black,hispanic,and asian cultures with the better schools of Pomona.Claremont on the complete other side of Pomona is nice also but pricey.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 11,806 times
I've lived near the Pomona area all my life, and all I can say is KEEP YOUR DOORS LOCKED. Most of the area is HIGH in crime...what a shame since there are so many beautiful turn-of-the-century homes in that area, but since the late 1960's, low-income housing brought in a lot of thugs and gangs...and I don't expect them leaving anytime soon!

If you have no other choice but to live in Pomona, try moving as far north as possible, bordering Claremont or La Verne (near Arrow Hwy)..it's still pretty decent. I think Indian Hill will be okay as long as you're not too far south...Holt and Mission are pretty bad (especially Mission Blvd...lots of gangs, prostitution, drugs, welfare, homeless...you name it)...Actually, the further south of the 10 Fwy you live, the scarier it becomes! Another decent area is east of White Ave (north of McKinley)...I think a lot of the older generation have lived there for many years (the grandmas & and grandpas), so it is kept up well.

All in all, my highest recommendation is to move just outside of Pomona...
...Your best bets are Claremont, La Verne, Diamond Bar, Walnut, Glendora, San Dimas, most parts of Upland, Chino Hills, Alta Loma, and Rancho Cucamonga. They are great communities and very safe ...I wish you all the luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:38 AM

Thank you, once again, for all your replies. I am very pleased to say that my fiance and I have found a place to live in La Verne. Like most of you have said, it is a much nicer area than Pomona and I am looking forward to spending the next year or two living there. Thank you and good night.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 17,087 times
Default Lincoln Park

We've lived in Pomona's Lincoln Park Historic district for three years and love it. The district is bounded by the 10 fwy on the north, Holt on the south, Towne on the east and Geary on the west.

Tree-lined streets, 1920's vintage homes, low-crime rate.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:02 AM

13 posts, read 78,585 times
Indian Hill is pretty bad all the way up till San Jose St. in Claremont, and at the bottom of that street is Holt Ave. at one point was the #1 prostitution area in Cali....over by Polomares Park is nice, and some parts of Gary...Pomona is a huge city!! so there are nice pockets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles