U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 02:56 PM

1,357 posts, read 2,799,754 times

Advertisements

I look at the fridge thing this way:

I basically add $50 a month to the cost for a fridge, so I expect the house/apt to be $50 cheaper because it doesn't have a fridge. If it doesn't have w/d, figure another $100 a month discount for that reason.

But any time I have played hardball about fridges, the landlords have fairly easily relented and would agree to put one in. But my wife and I are dual income (well in excess of the 3x requirement), graduate degrees, no kids, no pets, 800+ credit scores, so usually landlords will fight over us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 05:07 PM

1,548 posts, read 2,372,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingCalifornia View Post
Everyone seems so childish going back and forth. So what if Marilyn220 believes that landlords not providing a fridge in rental apartments is "third-worldish"... that's just an opinion. Might be someone who probably has no experience of a true third-world area, and is probably just going off what pops up in mind when he/she thinks of the term. And keep in mind, they did say "ish".

Sheesh... people always have to be right for some reason. And will argue until they're blue in the face (or in this case, until their fingers become numb, lol) ----> Life is different for everyone. What someone thinks is good, someone else might think is bad. EVERYONE has their OWN perspectives on EVERYTHING. So, stop always trying to get others to see YOUR way, and just chill.

As far as the OP's topic.... try looking on FreeCycle.org -- it's pretty cool for when you need something, and when you're looking to get rid of something.
Amen.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:03 PM

363 posts, read 376,211 times
As far as appliances go, I'm extreme: either buy super cheap (i.e.: Frigidaire) or really high-end (i.e.: Viking). I've had both, and been very happy. All of the brands in between are kind of a waste of money, IMO.

Frigidaire now makes a fingerprint-proof stainless. As an aside, I've had bad luck buying used refrigerators, the motor always seems to go out quickly. I'd buy new.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:56 PM

98 posts, read 116,602 times
Answers:

-Frigidaire is top notch; its owed by Electrolux which is like Viking

-LA is NOT a "World Class" city (eg, NYC, London, Paris, etc); LA is a niche/specialty niche city like Miami, Boston, DC, SF, etc

-In Paris, high end rental always say "American Refrigerator"...b/c their euro ones are like a pug breathing in summer

-Buy the fridge. "Life is short; eat dessert first"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or