U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 05:40 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,284,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I'm originally from Nashville, TN. Lived in LA 18 years before returning to Nashville a year ago for family reasons (and currently packing for the return to LA). I've noticed that there are people here in Nashville who take offense if I point out that this is, for the most part, an area populated by religious conservatives and not exactly open minded and progressive (this is especially noticable in a presidential election year). The weird part is that it is these very conservative people who "protest too much" that this is just not true. Not sure if they have delusions of diversity or if they've just never been anywhere truly diverse. Of course, they hate California - particulary SF and LA. I'm curious if any of you have witnessed this same or a similar type attitude among the folks in your home town?

I should add that not everyone is this way - but they are the ones most likely to take offense. These are also generally people born and raised in or near Nashville, not folks who moved to Nashville from other areas of the coutry,
I'm originally from WI and most people act like Cali is the place to be but I used to live in and frequent Texas since my sister moved there and those people hate Cali. The minute I told someone in this running group I was joining while on my trip that I was from Cali, she got hostile and rude. "We don't have beaches and hills to run out here mister, sorry!" I imagine a lot is politically related as well as these people not really getting outside of their areas. I realized when I moved to Cali just how isolated and ignorant I was. So I think you're spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,991,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I'm originally from WI and most people act like Cali is the place to be but I used to live in and frequent Texas since my sister moved there and those people hate Cali. The minute I told someone in this running group I was joining while on my trip that I was from Cali, she got hostile and rude. "We don't have beaches and hills to run out here mister, sorry!" I imagine a lot is politically related as well as these people not really getting outside of their areas. I realized when I moved to Cali just how isolated and ignorant I was. So I think you're spot on.
Yes, they get very defensive very quickly (which says a lot about them, IMO). I was actually talking with a liberal friend here in TN about this today and she totally agrees - knows plenty of white, conservative Christian folks who will insist that they are enlightened, open minded, and love diversity (but who would have a heart attack if one of their kids dated outside their race). Weird. And yes, they hate California with a passion - which is just ignorant since California is a huge state and outside the cities there are a lot of places where they would fit right in...

Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Actually, that's not what I meant. I'm talking about simply making an observation about lack of diversity, or about this really being the Bible Belt, etc. No challenge at all.
We know what you meant don't explain yourself to this fool. He decided to put more into what you said that what you said. That's on him. You said it just like you meant it. In a convo you probably brought up this or that (politely but honestly) about the place that you live in and they got all up in arms about it. Makes sense. It's challenging but it's not like 1200RT painted it. It's funny how people post innocuous posts with good intent and there's always someone to come in and play the sarcastic Moderator cut: expletive. Always. I really wonder if these type of people think they are doing a service by: taking things literally when they weren't meant literally, taking things out of context and going on these rude interrogating conquest to make someone "think", being sarcastic unnecessarily and without much thought about anyone other than their own self-centered view of the world in which they think THEIR way of thinking is best. Moderator cut: expletive kill me.

Sorry for the rant. Good post and good observation.

Last edited by Count David; 11-29-2012 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: expletives

Old 11-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
It is sort of different in Des Moines, IA where I grew up.

Most people are too obsessed with college football or local politics to care if you want to move to LA or not. There is a large group of "civic fanatics" in Des Moines who might actually get upset at someone wanting to move anywhere - because Des Moines offers everything someone could want in a smaller package (they really believe that). I haven't affiliated with those types in years although I have known some in the past.

Midwesterners are also sort of star-struck by LA, much more so than being star-struck by NY in my opinion.

In Chicago, there was a difference, Chicago knowing it's on the same playing field as LA, but knowing it isn't seen the same way. I definitely encountered some anti-LA mentality there. You'll always find people from even the most "prideful" city admit LA is a more desirable place though.
I forgot to say the same, but you said it, "midwesterners are star-struck by LA" more so than NY although they'll take that too. I posted this somewhere else recently, when someone was saying why does everyone hate LA...not the midwest.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Weird. And yes, they hate California with a passion - which is just ignorant since California is a huge state and outside the cities there are a lot of places where they would fit right in...
Right? Some of these fools would love Orange County, probably even more since it's conservative but with great weather. Maybe too many asians and latinos for them but they can get used to that.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,363,466 times
Maybe the folks in Lubbock or Waco would enjoy Barstow or Needles. Or Santee

Old 11-29-2012, 08:10 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,264,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Maybe the folks in Lubbock or Waco would enjoy Barstow or Needles. Or Santee
Why Santee. From google maps - it looks like just a suburb of San Diego.

Is it some ultra conservative enclave I don't know about?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,822,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Why Santee. From google maps - it looks like just a suburb of San Diego.

Is it some ultra conservative enclave I don't know about?
Yes.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,441,883 times
Aka "Klantee."

Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,406,254 times
Nope.

Where I live is also full of transplants and the natives in my area are very open-minded and sometimes, if not often, very well-traveled. No hate on the West from anyone I know when I lived out in LA.

The South certainly likes to talk about how they have their "family values" and how "polite" they are, yet they're the only region in the country with the highest divorce rates and that niceness isn't really nice if that means conforming to a church or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles