U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 03:05 PM

21,790 posts, read 26,085,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It's the only game in town for me. No DSL choices available. I'd rate my satisfaction at B- for internet and TV. The digital boxes are old, slow and clunky and the remotes wear out after a couple of years without much daily use. However, they have a service center in a small shopping center nearby, and I've never had to wait for service. In and out quickly for all three times I've been there.

They recently added ME-TV, which I appreciate.
I have had Time Warner Cable since 1985. Back then it was $8/month!

Very good picture with cable and the high-speed (Road Runner) Internet connection really is high-speed. Both TV reception and Internet connection is reliable. Not perfect, but reliable; doesn't go out too often.

The TV in one room has digital cable. A lot more channels but quite often when I turn the TV on, it has to "initialize," has to reset. That can take some time.

What channel is ME-TV; I've been trying to find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 04:34 PM

4,398 posts, read 6,642,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Agreed, other than not getting 15mbps. Could be location based or peak usage times? Cable based internet is definitely finicky.

Now THATS an interesting discussion - i've thought about canceling cable and going OTA and netflix/roku/etc only. Not sure if it would work for us, but sometimes like that idea.

I have the benefit of being close enough to Mount Wilson(4 miles as the crow flies) where all the tv/radio transmission towers are located.
The day I installed my roof antenna, I was amazed that it was a straight line from my house to the mountain, with not so much as a tree in the way.
I lined up the antenna with the mountain, and my picture is beautiful.
Just some of the channels I now get free: Antenna, Metv, This, and PBS, along with all the local channels.
Dozens of spanish and asian stations, which I don't watch.
What I like about Metv, and Antenna tv is they have a lot of the old shows from the sixties and seventies, and it's all free.
Bob.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,098,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

What channel is ME-TV; I've been trying to find it.
137 here.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,285,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
don't get no where near 15mpbs and I'm always getting glitches in connection (gamer here). I hate their dvr, it's so glitchy it's sad. When I have a problem I hop on twitter and check the area and there's always simultaneous complaints from my area so maybe it's location based? Idk...
Glitches in connection? LOL, you definitely sound like a gamer.

Gamer here too (PC). I have Time Warner 10MBPS and usually get between 10 and 15 mbps, with a ping around 17-19 (45 in game). Like others have said, it goes out maybe once or twice a year and it's the worst. But very minimal outages, so I deal.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:31 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,266,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Agreed, other than not getting 15mbps. Could be location based or peak usage times? Cable based internet is definitely finicky.

Now THATS an interesting discussion - i've thought about canceling cable and going OTA and netflix/roku/etc only. Not sure if it would work for us, but sometimes like that idea.
If it wasn't for sports, I'd totally do it. I could stream sports on my xbox but since TW is my provider I don't get access to the over 200+ games and etc., that they offer...another problem I have with them. Not to mention they don't have NFL Ticket.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:24 PM

22,078 posts, read 12,597,502 times
I have Time Warner..but now I just have them basically for the internet...my bill was way too high for very basic cable and high speed internet. They apparently said it would be cheaper to keep their 'network' package and then internet versus just the internet..kind of weird. I was spending a bunch of money for channels I never watched, so I feel like I should of cancelled the cable part a long time ago.

I don't think time warner is too bad, internet has been pretty reliable.

Some AT&T guys tried to sell me on their service they were pretty pushy , but I looked into it and there are data caps on it which I don't really like the idea of.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
137 here.
137? Thanks, I'll check on my TV.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,098,222 times
Should be the same, as we're both served by TWLA.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 PM

4,398 posts, read 6,642,230 times
It doesn't much matter if you have cable or satellite tv service, you are paying big bucks for two things.
One being channels that you never ever watch, and two, channels that are duplicates of other channels.
Most usually only watch five or six of their favorite channels, and still pay for all those other ones.
That is just plain stupid.
Bob.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
137 here.
Thanks for the help. Yes, I also get it. Same number, 137.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or