Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,438,092 times

Advertisements

Cable seems pretty overpriced for example if Netflix streaming is $8 a month. Does cable really give you a benefit worth 800% + more than that?? I see more and more options competing with cable. I realized I was hardly watching any tv so I cancelled , you can do quite a bit with $70 or more a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 03:24 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,586,608 times
Eh .... I have netflix streaming (and use it frequently), but you really need at least 1 dvd per month plan to get the most current movie content, and thats $15/month.

And if you want TV, you'll need Hulu+, which is another $10 ($8?), and you still don't get everything.

So it definitely adds up, buying content a la carte.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM

13,581 posts, read 15,647,495 times
TW is overpriced. I have basic cable and I barely get anything. Furthermore, they took away G4 a few months ago from their basic package. Furthermore, they refuse to grey-out the channels I do not currently receive from the guide, so it gets a little frustrating seeing the title of a program I may want to watch, only to find it's on a channel not in my tier. This is obviously done to encourage people to purchase a higher tier, and this tacky strategy is not appreciated by me.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
TW is overpriced. I have basic cable and I barely get anything. Furthermore, they took away G4 a few months ago from their basic package. Furthermore, they refuse to grey-out the channels I do not currently receive from the guide, so it gets a little frustrating seeing the title of a program I may want to watch, only to find it's on a channel not in my tier. This is obviously done to encourage people to purchase a higher tier, and this tacky strategy is not appreciated by me.
Ha.

Thats something that i've always hated, all providers seem to do it, although DirectTV (which I had awhile back) allowed you to set up a "favorites" guide, so you could turn all that off.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Eh .... I have netflix streaming (and use it frequently), but you really need at least 1 dvd per month plan to get the most current movie content, and thats $15/month.

And if you want TV, you'll need Hulu+, which is another $10 ($8?), and you still don't get everything.

That is not buying content a la carte. A la carte would be purchasing an HBO subscription, Fox Sports subscription, and/or Showtime and paying for each individually through your provider. You pick and choose what you want. Netflix and Hulu are just streaming services that content distributors (not content providers) license their media to. You have a little more choice, but its still an all-for-one or nothing at all deal. Though I still prefer Netflix/Hulu/Prime over 200+ channels I pay 80 bucks for but will never watch.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:08 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,634,916 times
Quote:

I have Xbox live, Hulu+, Netflix and cable. granted it's only an additional $16 to cable but still.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:10 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,634,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
That is not buying content a la carte. A la carte would be purchasing an HBO subscription, Fox Sports subscription, and/or Showtime and paying for each individually through your provider. You pick and choose what you want. Netflix and Hulu are just streaming services that content distributors (not content providers) license their media to. You have a little more choice, but its still an all-for-one or nothing at all deal. Though I still prefer Netflix/Hulu/Prime over 200+ channels I pay 80 bucks for but will never watch.
Come on don't be that guy. He meant it more figuratively than literally. Come on man! (Keyshawn Johnson voice)

Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 AM

13,581 posts, read 15,647,495 times
Quote:
Ha.

Thats something that i've always hated, all providers seem to do it, although DirectTV (which I had awhile back) allowed you to set up a "favorites" guide, so you could turn all that off.
I know somebody with a dish and the channels they can't tune are greyed out.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Come on don't be that guy. He meant it more figuratively than literally. Come on man! (Keyshawn Johnson voice)
Yeah - I clearly meant buying streaming services a la carte, not buying cable channels. Since its extremely difficult to actually buy wired cable service a la carte, there is no true definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I know somebody with a dish and the channels they can't tune are greyed out.
Interesting. That'd be nice. I got rid of DTV several years ago, it didn't play nice with the trees in my back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles