Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 02:23 PM

7 posts, read 42,085 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have a mjor dilemma here that I would appreciate any helpful hints or suggestions on.

I currently live in Orlando, FL and I am about to graduate in May. When I graudate, I definitely want to get out of this horrible town for many reasons including weather, lack of jobs in my field, and people. I think I want to move to Cali because I visited there in 05 and I really loved everything about it. I wanted to get suggestions on which area would be best for my field and my needs. I have a boyfriend but no kids and I'm majoring in Communication. I would like a job in PR, media/tv/movie production, or reporting. I don't want to spend more than 1500-1800/mth on an apartment.

Can anyone give me the +/- of each area : SF, OC, LA??

Also, the best area for young singles in each if possible..thanks !! any comments are appreciated! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 04:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
Well SF is out of the picture based on what you are majoring in and what you want for a job. No entertainment business or magazine companies are based there.

So now, between LA and OC. LA is definitely better for young people with no children. If you eventually want to have children, OC is better. OC is very suburban and family friendly.

So with that price range, you could get a nice 1 bed in a good area, but not a 2 bed. Do you need a 2 bed?

If you want a 1bed, go with Westwood, Santa Monica, Long Beach, Pasadena, or Studio City.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 PM

7 posts, read 42,085 times
Hello and thanks for the advice.

A 1 bedroom is feasible..I guess it has to be for my price range. Is Studio City considered in the valley? How is it there and what cities are in the valley?

When I visited LA I especially liked Hermosa Beach/Manhattan Beach and Seal Beach in OC...but I would guess it would be more expensive in areas close to the beach. Is Long Beach in OC or LA?

When I have kids and I want to buy a house I was thinking about Agoura Hills or Thousand Oaks area, they seem to have reasonable prices btw 500-600k...any comments on those areas?? I have no clue what they are in proximity to.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
Yes, Studio City is in the valley, San Fernando Valley. Studio City, Encino, Tarzana, Burbank, and Glendale are the only good areas there, but they get worse as you go north. You would need to stay as far south as your budget can handle. For 7500, Manhattan Beach and Hermosa are completely possible. It gets very hot there in the summer though, usually 100+.

Long Beach is at the very southern tip of LA County.

TO and AG get hot also and are very safe and family friendly. Definitely a good choice to raise a family in though. Most areas are very safe and children play all over. They are quite secluded, but there is quite a lot to do in the area. Everything is new there. San Fernando Valley isn't too far though.

In Manhattan Beach, just a warning, stay as close to the ocean as you budget can handle b/c out to the east is Lawndale and that is not a good area.

This is in Playa del Rey, a small town north of LAX right on the beach.
REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

Last edited by jessemh431; 10-14-2007 at 09:28 PM..

Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 PM

874 posts, read 3,678,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lana7311 View Post
Ok, I have a mjor dilemma here that I would appreciate any helpful hints or suggestions on.

I currently live in Orlando, FL and I am about to graduate in May. When I graudate, I definitely want to get out of this horrible town for many reasons including weather, lack of jobs in my field, and people. I think I want to move to Cali because I visited there in 05 and I really loved everything about it. I wanted to get suggestions on which area would be best for my field and my needs. I have a boyfriend but no kids and I'm majoring in Communication. I would like a job in PR, media/tv/movie production, or reporting. I don't want to spend more than 1500-1800/mth on an apartment.

Can anyone give me the +/- of each area : SF, OC, LA??

Also, the best area for young singles in each if possible..thanks !! any comments are appreciated! =)
I'm just curious..what was it about the people that you don't like?? I'm with you all the way..i just moved to Orlando and don't like it..its been about 5mnths now. but what are your thoughts?

Old 08-02-2008, 04:16 PM

186 posts, read 659,379 times
I'd like to say that there are opportunities in the SF bay area for PR and journalism majors. The jobs would be tech focused. It has been a while but when I was in PR we did frequent media tours in the Bay Area and most major agencies and many well-established boutiques had offices in the area. Berkeley also has a very good graduate school of journalism.

If your heart is set on the entertainment industry, then obviously Los Angeles is the way to go. I would suggest Brentwood, the Fairfax District or Studio City as being close to entertainment jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles