Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 6,345 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the input everyone. It's turning into a somewhat stressful decision and I appreciate everyone's insight. For me a "nice neighborhood" is just basically a reasonably quiet place where I don't have to worry (too much) about taking a stroll through the streets.

I found a couple properties which seem to be pretty good deals and are very close to downtown (where I'll be working). Again I'm not familiar with the area so input about neighborhood/price or really anything is greatly appreciated!!

200 North San Fernando Road #214, Los Angeles CA - Trulia

1532 4th Avenue, Los Angeles CA - Trulia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:00 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,585,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonsa View Post
Thanks for all the input everyone. It's turning into a somewhat stressful decision and I appreciate everyone's insight. For me a "nice neighborhood" is just basically a reasonably quiet place where I don't have to worry (too much) about taking a stroll through the streets.

I found a couple properties which seem to be pretty good deals and are very close to downtown (where I'll be working). Again I'm not familiar with the area so input about neighborhood/price or really anything is greatly appreciated!!

200 North San Fernando Road #214, Los Angeles CA - Trulia

1532 4th Avenue, Los Angeles CA - Trulia
Please don't make us waste our time.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 6,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Please don't make us waste our time.
Sorry...noob mistake

Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,772,909 times
Wow, I wonder what would cause all those cracks in the walls of that Winnetka property? Earthquakes?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,585,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESTICO View Post
Short answer is YES! since you be working in downtown LA, i would suggest Mission Hills, Balboa, North Hills. good areas and decent commute to downtown LA,

Moderator cut: see note

He said he didn't want to live in a crappy area. Mission Hills and North Hills are mostly crappy areas.

Theres nothing in Lake Balboa he could afford on his budget.

OP, I'd warn you NOT to listen to realtors for advice on this one. Theres two reasons:

1.) You can readily search Redfin, Trulia, Zilow, etc and find out what homes ACTUALLY sold for(this is important....comps are what matters, not list prices) on your own.

2.) Realtors always have a built in incentive to sell. So to many(most?) realtors, ANY TIME is a good time to buy. In this instance, notice how the realtor utterly ignored your two main requests? That is, you did not want a crappy neighborhood, and your budget is $260K. Instead realtor attempts to sell you on two crappy neighborhoods, and one more where your budget is insufficient.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 PM

74 posts, read 197,329 times
JohnG72 makes a good point, although it appears the moderator was on the same page as him Moderator cut: see note. I'd also agree that Mission Hills & North Hills are not the most desirable, crime-free areas.

There are other things that make now a good time to buy, including interest rates, but if you're not finding anything in your budget that meets your criteria, of course you should wait and/or reassess your gameplan.

If you don't mind a commute, you may want to check out condos/townhouses in Tarzana & Encino (parking can be tough & there are some key, highly desirable area with high-density, but are reasonably "quiet" as far as street traffic, etc.). For a quieter neighborhood, check out Woodland Hills. I loved living there (except for the HEAT) - close proximity to good restaurants, shopping, etc. & the commute won't kill you.

Last edited by Count David; 12-23-2012 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: we do not discuss moderation here, thanks

Old 12-24-2012, 02:05 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,820,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmommie View Post
JohnG72 makes a good point, although it appears the moderator was on the same page as him Moderator cut: see note. I'd also agree that Mission Hills & North Hills are not the most desirable, crime-free areas.

There are other things that make now a good time to buy, including interest rates, but if you're not finding anything in your budget that meets your criteria, of course you should wait and/or reassess your gameplan.

If you don't mind a commute, you may want to check out condos/townhouses in Tarzana & Encino (parking can be tough & there are some key, highly desirable area with high-density, but are reasonably "quiet" as far as street traffic, etc.). For a quieter neighborhood, check out Woodland Hills. I loved living there (except for the HEAT) - close proximity to good restaurants, shopping, etc. & the commute won't kill you.
Or just rent. Then work / save money / build credit for loan / and eventually look at houses when they're more familiar with neighborhoods.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 PM

893 posts, read 1,319,037 times
What has the world come to when 200k can't even buy decent condo

Old 12-29-2012, 05:35 AM

671 posts, read 1,184,328 times
One word: Temecula. BIG, nice homes in good areas for the OP's budget. But he would probably have to drive to Corona station and take Metrolink into downtown. That's exactly what a good friend of mine did. I, Also know someone who lives in Palm Springs area and commutes to Orange County. He drives into Riverside then boards Metrolink to Orange County. They get a beautiful home in a great neighborhood with good schools for the $200,000 range. That's how far you have to get out, unless the OP is willing to settle for a 650 SqFt condo/townhome, 1 bedroom about 18 miles east of downtown in someplace like Whittier's east end. That's what the OP can get for his housing budget. It's really like a one bedroom apartment with the entry, living and kitchen all in one large space. Only the bathroom and bedroom have privacy. Oh, and you get a little patio.

Regarding Temecula, the traffic is such that the drive to and from Riverside and Palm Springs or to and from Corona and Temecula is the EASY drive part for them as there is no congestion. It is the 91 freeway that just kills everyone. Yeah, it's far and I don't know if it is a good idea for a newbie, but it is the only place I can think of the is really nice and has good schools and really great housing. It has all of the expected suburban amenities, and nice, modern, big homes for your meager LA housing budget. I would not recommend the Antelope Valley in comparison to Temecula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles