Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,885 times

Advertisements

SF or SD in CA. But I love New Mexico so maybe Santa Fe or Albuquerque
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 04:41 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Born in the Bay Area, lived in LA for several decades (loved it) and back home to the Bay Area. I miss some things about LA though: diversity, culture, things to do, restaurants, etc
It's funny you mention diversity, my boy moved up there and said SF isn't as diverse as people think. Anyway, I'd move to San Diego and if I couldn't move there I'd go to Santa Barbara.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:40 PM

193 posts, read 465,408 times
Id be torn between SD and Seattle.. Seattle's gloominess does sound depressing long-term though (Im pretty sensitive to that) but its such an awesome city and my favorite besides LA.. SD is a beautiful place as well, though not as exciting (but still great)

Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,118 times
I just moved back from NYC after having lived there 3 years, prior to that I was in LA and here I am back again. I moved back mainly to be closer to family.

I think everyone should try and live in NYC at least once, it's quite a bit different from the west coast and does make you edgier and more rounded, at least in my experience.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
It's funny you mention diversity, my boy moved up there and said SF isn't as diverse as people think. Anyway, I'd move to San Diego and if I couldn't move there I'd go to Santa Barbara.
It's too expensive. It's kind of a yuppie playground...hetero and homosexual, but basically yuppie.

Blacks generally magnet Oakland, Asians seem to be going more suburban, white hippies generally have been going to Seattle/portland. Felt more yuppie than anything else to me.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:39 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I like SF too but it does cost a ton more than l.a.

Also a lot of people do complain about the sprawl of l.a but sometimes it's nice to not live somewhere where people are on top of each other and to have some parts of town that aren't packed all the time . Driving everywhere does get old , but having that privacy and feeling of independence does feel good . I also love the idea of public transit and only took public transit the whole time in nyc , besides walking .. No cabs . The week metro pass was a good investment .

Sf feels kinda of like a mini nyc in ways

I could see nycers like it better in sf versus la . But if they were moving out of nyc they prob want something different and would choose la.

Elysian , I think living in nyc for a little while would be a cool experience. What neighborhood did u live in? How long do you think one would have to live in order to really " get it " the way a local does ? I've only gotten tastes of nyc visiting but it would be cool to get the experience as a resident .

On my last five day trip I visited every single Borrough, I walked around the bronx to their little Italy area on Arthur avenue ..a place many locals haven't been apparently . I like to truly experience a city if I visit and try to get away from too much of the touristy stuff... Or at least get a sample of something outside the tourist agenda .

Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
I'm moving to LA, but I've been to NYC 5 times over the past 2 years. That's my dream city. I don't drive, so that's my endgame.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:47 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
Well I really like how LA is setup. I prefer cities with downtowns in the middle surrounded by eclectic neighborhoods with their own character.

So...I would just go back to Houston....the bootleg, uglier, flatter, hotter replica of LA.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:06 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
anywhere it does snow; in fact, I have some outside right now.

And I'm not melting because of it.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:17 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Boulder, CO or La Jolla, CA (yeah, dream on...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles