Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:59 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,642,684 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of tourists go there. Would you recommend it for folks who aren't crazy about art? How does it compare to other area museums such as LACMA (where I have been), Norton Simon, etc.? It's been my experience that folks either love or hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 06:06 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,163,725 times
I love the Getty. The Center itself is beautiful architecturally and I've seen some amazing exhibits there. Best of all, it's free (except for parking). I don't think you have to be "crazy about art" to appreciate it. It's worth going to once just to see it.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:17 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,987,192 times
If they "aren't crazy about art," it's perfect, because they can look at the architecture and the view and avoid the art! Sarcasm aside, the collection is bland, with not much variation, the historic objects are all "restored," and the guards are suspicious and hostile---one asked me when I had my hands full not to point at a painting with my foot. Say what?

The Norton Simon has an astounding collection. Even novices know know of Van Gogh and Rembrandt. It's impressive without the gaudy over-the-top Gilded-Age sensibility of the Getty.

The Getty Villa in Malibu is nicer than the main museum, if you like ancient Roman art and a reproduction Pompeiian villa.

LACMA has a massive collection in multiple buildings. Their modern collection is nice. LACMA hosts the traveling exhibitions, some of which are knockouts. It cannot be toured in a single day.

The Norton Simon is my go-to museum for visitors. Small, not too much walking, easy parking, nice outdoor area.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
If they "aren't crazy about art," it's perfect, because they can look at the architecture and the view and avoid the art! Sarcasm aside, the collection is bland, with not much variation, the historic objects are all "restored," and the guards are suspicious and hostile---one asked me when I had my hands full not to point at a painting with my foot. Say what?

The Norton Simon has an astounding collection. Even novices know know of Van Gogh and Rembrandt. It's impressive without the gaudy over-the-top Gilded-Age sensibility of the Getty.

The Getty Villa in Malibu is nicer than the main museum, if you like ancient Roman art and a reproduction Pompeiian villa.

LACMA has a massive collection in multiple buildings. Their modern collection is nice. LACMA hosts the traveling exhibitions, some of which are knockouts. It cannot be toured in a single day.

The Norton Simon is my go-to museum for visitors. Small, not too much walking, easy parking, nice outdoor area.
That's hysterical about the guard! I'm not a big art person myself but the Norton Simon has always sounded like something I'd enjoy. Been to LACMA but it was years ago when they had the Pompeii exhibit. Been to the Villa too and enjoyed it but I can only look at so many Grecian urns in a day, if you get my drift. But as I said, I know the Getty is touted as a huge tourist attraction and millions of folks go - it's on their list like the Hollywood Walk of Fame and I always wonder how many of them are actually interested in the collection.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,368,695 times
I think it's more than just a place tourists/visitors go. I say definitely worth it.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,987,192 times
I forgot to mention about the Getty's awkward means to get into the museum. You have to park in a structure and then wait to take a train (often crowded) up to the top of the hill. It's a little people-mover-Disneyland to me. Also, the bathrooms are few and far between, and the signage is scarce.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 PM

23,374 posts, read 23,788,348 times
Beautiful views and sunsets are visible from the Getty, in addition to the art and architecture.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,373,620 times
I like the Getty Center. Great views, especially on a very clear day. Their collection is not as extensive as LACMA. I prefer walking around the gardens. They have free audio iTouch guides. I dont understand art but the audio guide does help explain some of the works. I like the shuttle tram thing. One would be nice for Dodgers Stadium.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I like the Getty Center. Great views, especially on a very clear day. Their collection is not as extensive as LACMA. I prefer walking around the gardens. They have free audio iTouch guides. I dont understand art but the audio guide does help explain some of the works. I like the shuttle tram thing. One would be nice for Dodgers Stadium.

One would be nice for Dodger Stadium! I live near Glendale/Burbank and really prefer that area (around the foothills) to the west side so when I want a view I go to the Griffith Observatory or nearby hills. For gardens I go to the Arboretum, Descanso or Huntington. A lot has to do with location - I work one the west side and to be honest I have to want to do something really bad to drive over there on the weekend. I took a friend to the Villa and traffic was a nightmare (as I expected it to be).

Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,202,621 times
I love the Getty and it's worth it. Last time I went there I caught the Rapid Transit Bus from Westwood. It dropped me off right at the entrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles