Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,363 times

Advertisements

I am from Spain (Barcelona), fully bilingual Spanish-English. I'd like to spend some months/years working in Los Angeles (as an electrician, waiter, cleaner, whatever).

I'd like to live in a Mexican/Latin area, not too expensive, not to dangerous, with everything on walking distance ( I got no driving license so I'd have to rely on public transport, and Los Angeles is a city made for cars and not very pedestrian-friendly).

I like to take walks in downtown Barcelona, look at shop windows, take a café in a terrace while watching the people passing by, etc. I am an inner-city guy, I couldnt live in those boring suburban areas where there's only row after row of houses, I am used to live in apartment buildings.

So I guess my first option is downtown LA, or somewhere East Side. But of course I am not suicidal and I wouldnt go to a place with gang activity and meth labs and stuff like that you see in the movies and documentaries. I'd like a place of normal people, families, parks where you can go and relax reading a book, some nighlife scene, and mexican food. (i love it)

So I'd like some advice from a local Angelino, which areas recommend?

How much can cost to rent a room for a single guy like me?

Is it easy to find job? (as I said, I work here in Spain as an electrician, so I woulnd´t mind any type of job)

How much is an average monthly wage?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Javier77; 12-12-2012 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
I am from Spain (Barcelona), fully bilingual Spanish-English. I'd like to spend some months/years working in Los Angeles (as an electrician, waiter, cleaner, whatever).

I'd like to live in a Mexican/Latin area, not too expensive, not to dangerous, with everything on walking distance ( I got no driving license so I'd have to rely on public transport, and Los Angeles is a city made for cars and not very pedestrian-friendly).

I like to take walks in downtown Barcelona, look at shop windows, take a café in a terrace while watching the people passing by, etc. I am an inner-city guy, I couldnt live in those boring suburban areas where there's only row after row of houses, I am used to live in apartment buildings.

So I guess my first option is downtown LA, or somewhere East Side. But of course I am not suicidal and I wouldnt go to a place with gang activity and meth labs and stuff like that you see in the movies and documentaries. I'd like a place of normal people, families, parks where you can go and relax reading a book, some nighlife scene, and mexican food. (i love it)

So I'd like some advice from a local Angelino, which areas recommend?

How much can cost to rent a room for a single guy like me?

Is it easy to find job? (as I said, I work here in Spain as an electrician, so I woulnd´t mind any type of job)

Thanks in advance!
Well first off I doubt you have to worry about meth labs in Los Angeles LOL.

Downtown LA sounds like a fine choice but there are plenty of other places that you can live car-free and an inner-city lifestyle (and just about every neighborhood in LA has a decent sized Spanish-speaking population) such as Hollywood, Koreatown, Miracle Mile / Fairfax, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice. Even some of the less "urban" neighborhoods are pretty walkable and could support car free living.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post

Will you have an official work permit? This would affect your wage and your ability to work at more than menial jobs. The difference between an electrician's wage and a waiter's is huge.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
If you like cities then move to NYC or the San Francisco area. Good luck immigrating and getting a legal job though, it's not easy. And even if you can work legally, it's not easy finding a good job in LA and a nice apartment you can afford, especially if you can't drive. Getting a driver's license in California is pretty easy though.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,028 times
I'd say Downtown LA is best for what you're after, and you'll definitely feel a strong Mexican/Latin American presence there, but the other neighborhoods mentioned by Munchitup would work. From a transit perspective, Downtown is best because rail and bus lines from all over the city converge there, so it's easy to get to anywhere.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
I agree with the downtown suggestion, but I think it would be pricey unless you head West to Westlake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles