Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:59 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times

Advertisements

Had no idea that existed, definitely looks similar in concept to the Metro tunnel in downtown SF. Looks like the terminal at Hill was one end, and the other end went to Toluca in Westlake?

Belmont Tunnel / Toluca Substation and Yard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the whole tunnel was intact they could probably use it today, maybe as a spur for the Gold Line or something like that, though I bet the tunnel outside of downtown was destroyed or cut off--maybe the current Red Line cuts through it. The streetcar system in SF had the Twin Peaks Tunnel built in 1918 which was used by the old-school streetcars, but I think it was shut down after a while. When the current Metro system was set up in the 70's they refurbished the tunnel and now it's used by modern light-rail lines. (if you can call the flaky Metro system modern, heh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 02:32 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Work out proper entry and egress and they could turn it into a (literally) underground restaurant/nightclub. Oh, the themes I could conjure!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:56 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Work out proper entry and egress and they could turn it into a (literally) underground restaurant/nightclub. Oh, the themes I could conjure!
Raging black/death/speed/thrash metal and punk rock/psychobilly mecca. With intermittent ghosthunts and MMJ festivals. Could probably store good wine down there. Speakeasy/distillery would work.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 AM

399 posts, read 727,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Had no idea that existed, definitely looks similar in concept to the Metro tunnel in downtown SF. Looks like the terminal at Hill was one end, and the other end went to Toluca in Westlake?

Belmont Tunnel / Toluca Substation and Yard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the whole tunnel was intact they could probably use it today, maybe as a spur for the Gold Line or something like that, though I bet the tunnel outside of downtown was destroyed or cut off--maybe the current Red Line cuts through it. The streetcar system in SF had the Twin Peaks Tunnel built in 1918 which was used by the old-school streetcars, but I think it was shut down after a while. When the current Metro system was set up in the 70's they refurbished the tunnel and now it's used by modern light-rail lines. (if you can call the flaky Metro system modern, heh)
The Twin Peaks tunnel was never shut down. Well, maybe temporarily (like over a weekend) for work to convert it from the old-time streetcars to the modern LRVs. There was a beautiful portal at the west end of the tunnel, which had to be sacrificed as part of the conversion. But it was in continuous use as construction allowed.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:21 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
I seem to remember reading something about an abandoned (never completed) people mover project. Supposedly some of the tunnels are being used as storage.

Does anyone know anything about it? Why was it abandoned? Is there any chance that the project could be resumed at some point in the future?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:27 PM

671 posts, read 1,189,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I seem to remember reading something about an abandoned (never completed) people mover project. Supposedly some of the tunnels are being used as storage.

Does anyone know anything about it? Why was it abandoned? Is there any chance that the project could be resumed at some point in the future?

Are you referring to Mayor Bradley's proposed people mover of the late 1970's, or was it early 1980's, that died pretty soon after it was proposed. Or perhaps the even older proposed monorail that was to run along Wilshire connecting downtown with then Mid-Wilsher district back in the 1950's/1960's that is also died. No, these seem to be quite dead today with little chance of resurrection.

The new girl in town is the "modern streetcar" such as in Portland and Seattle. The measure to fund the streetcar has passed, and it seems that it will most likely get built. It is supposed to run along Broadway, but also serve LA Live. Modern Streecars are "in" now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles