U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 AM

47 posts, read 177,680 times
Default 1446 Armacost Ave, 90025 -How Safe?

I'm moving to the LA area very shortly and was told there were some parts of west LA that were not safe and that one block could be safe and another not so safe. Anyone know this area? Is it walkable at night for a middle aged, single woman?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 09:16 AM

86 posts, read 11,191 times
That's very safe. The closest grocery within walking distance is Ralpsh's Fresh Fare at Bundy and Wilshire. Lol.. in fact OJ murdered Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman only a few blocks away on Bundy... meaning that lots of rich people are in the area..

Old 10-16-2007, 10:50 AM

1,398 posts, read 4,662,242 times
deportallofthem said it well, but I thought you'd appreciate another affirmation. I used to live two blocks from there, and will confirm that it's a terrific area for women who live alone. You can walk to a lot of places like restaurants and markets, even at night. You lucked out: enjoy your good fortune. I only moved away because my rental house was torn down to make condos.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,883,917 times
I live in 90025 on Barry and feel very safe. I wouldn't worry at all.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:23 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,656,199 times
What route will you take to Northridge or did you find employment in west La rather than northridge?

May want to consider Northridge or somewhere closer to work. There are some very nice apartment communities in Northridge that were built for professionals. Grounds are spacious and more landscaping, pools, better parking, and larger units.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:45 PM

78 posts, read 247,364 times
If you are young and single, Northridge is not that fun. It is a lot more fun to live in West LA and have access to Santa Monica and the Sunset Strip.

You will have the reverse commute in the morning so that will not be an issue. I used to live a block from Armacost and commuted to Sylmar for work. It took me 25 min door-to-door in the mornings, but over 45 min in the afternoon to come home.

The neighborhood is very safe, but use common sense, be cautious, don't flash valuables around.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:28 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMom06 View Post
If you are young and single, Northridge is not that fun. It is a lot more fun to live in West LA and have access to Santa Monica and the Sunset Strip.

You will have the reverse commute in the morning so that will not be an issue. I used to live a block from Armacost and commuted to Sylmar for work. It took me 25 min door-to-door in the mornings, but over 45 min in the afternoon to come home.

The neighborhood is very safe, but use common sense, be cautious, don't flash valuables around.
She is Middle Aged.

How long ago did you commute from Armacost area to Sylmar. She would have to exit the 405 and drive west for a bit too. That will add additional time depending on how far west.

That block of Armacost is desirable as is most of the area. One block south, on the other side of SM blvd, along a few of the neighboring streets is one of the last sections of sporatic immigrant housing in the area-mostly harmless mix of blue collar. The other one is on Sawtelle between Ohio and Santa Monica Blvd and the next street east along the 405.
To move from out of State to mid west la/armacost area and commute to Northridge everyday seems excessive unless there is some other factor drawing her to the area.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 AM

78 posts, read 247,364 times
Greggd, I don't know how old you are, but middle-aged is still young! There is no life for a single person in Northridge. It is a family oriented suburb.

I moved from out-of state to West LA and I commuted from that West LA area to Sylmar for 3 years. In the morning there really isn't that much traffic going north. I am serious when I say that it took me 25 min to get there in the morning. That's even faster than google maps estimates it. Its just the afterwork traffic that sucks, but there are shortcuts through the Sepulveda Pass if you take the frontage road, and you should be home within an hour. Fortunately, the traffic going south on the 405 in the afternoon is not as bad as the traffic going north. It is the reverse commute.

For me, it was worth it. There is much more to do on the Westside than in the Valley, and in the summer, it is much cooler. The Valley is over 90 degress all summer long, even at night! I didn't even have to turn on my air conditioning at all the 3 years I lived there in West LA. Also, I met lots of friends, went to the beach every weekend, or hiked in the Pacific Palisades, went out to eat in Santa Monica. There are lots of single professionals on the Westside and lots of organized activites, too.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:18 AM

3,266 posts, read 8,976,523 times
That is actually one of my favorite areas of LA. It is close to Westwood (which is my favorite area) and it has perfect weather (it's usually warmer than where I live near LAX). I would even let my 80 grandmother walk around that area alone, that's how nice it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles