U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:03 PM

9,857 posts, read 7,030,477 times

Advertisements

Don't sign the paper. The landlord wants you to sign the paper because he wants to change something and get you to agree to it in writing.

That said, look and see how much the landlord can raise your rent legally before you make some case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 PM

71,983 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Don't sign the paper. The landlord wants you to sign the paper because he wants to change something and get you to agree to it in writing.

That said, look and see how much the landlord can raise your rent legally before you make some case.
what does that have to do with urine on carpeting? That is what this thread is really all about. The rest has to do with something most of us have no clue about.

Nita

Old 06-03-2010, 07:33 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,062,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what does that have to do with urine on carpeting? That is what this thread is really all about. The rest has to do with something most of us have no clue about.

Nita
The original question is from 2007

Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 PM

236 posts, read 491,064 times
Yes, they are supposed to complete a walk thru with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcraigo View Post
I moved out of my apartment and they are trying to charge me for replacement of the carpets due to urnie stains. They were only in two of the four rooms of the apartment and with proper cleaning they could have been steamed out. The maintenance guy only called the cleaning company and explained the condition over the phone. They never came and saw the carpets and the maintenance guy is the one who insisted the carpets be replaced.

When I signed my 30-day notice I asked for a preliminary walk through about 2 weeks before I moved out. I set up a date and time and even called on the scheduled date to confirm. They never showed up so I had no idea the carpets were going to be a problem. This came as a complete shock to me, and now I am facing a legal dispute and a small claims filing.

I have tried to call the California Apartment Association and the Department of Fair and Equal Housing, as well as the local tenant associations, but I keep getting brushed onto the other groups so no one will answer my questions.

It was my understanding that the landlord is required to do a preliminary walk through if it is requested by the tenant. Is this right?

Kari

Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 PM

470 posts, read 998,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krcraigo View Post
I moved out of my apartment and they are trying to charge me for replacement of the carpets due to urnie stains. They were only in two of the four rooms of the apartment and with proper cleaning they could have been steamed out. The maintenance guy only called the cleaning company and explained the condition over the phone. They never came and saw the carpets and the maintenance guy is the one who insisted the carpets be replaced.

When I signed my 30-day notice I asked for a preliminary walk through about 2 weeks before I moved out. I set up a date and time and even called on the scheduled date to confirm. They never showed up so I had no idea the carpets were going to be a problem. This came as a complete shock to me, and now I am facing a legal dispute and a small claims filing.

I have tried to call the California Apartment Association and the Department of Fair and Equal Housing, as well as the local tenant associations, but I keep getting brushed onto the other groups so no one will answer my questions.

It was my understanding that the landlord is required to do a preliminary walk through if it is requested by the tenant. Is this right?

Kari
I noticed that you never claim to not be responsible for the stains being in the carpet.
If you are responsible for the stains,why would you not want to take care of the problem?
I would certainly try to have the carpets cleaned,but if that fails,you are probably going to have to pay for the damage.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 643 times
well i have a question? i being living renting in this house for 20 years the owner wants to sale it and it needs a lot of repairs they mentioned inspector coming in to inspect the house im not sure if they want me to pay for exterior old paint that they never painted or the re piping that they never fixed i need some one to help me what are my rights as a tenant.,thanks

Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,029,358 times
Paint and carpet are supposed to done ~ five years.

That, and I drank a beer, and the beer is now empty, and I don't want to get up to go get another. So, since the beer was emptied in my rental and is now no more, can I sue the landlord for anguish and distress as a result of my beer disappearing within the walls of her property? Same with the pee appearing on the floor?

"These...are...puzzlements" (Yul Brynner)

Old 01-18-2011, 04:04 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,842,824 times
urine stains? and you sat in your place with urine stains on the carpet and it came as a complete shock to you that this was a problem? first off, how come no effort was made on your part to clean this up? Simple Green would have at least removed the stains with a steam-vac, which you can rent from most grocery stores. whether it can be cleaned or not is not the issue. you made no attempt to clean it on your own and now are shocked and talking about small claims court.

maybe you need to stop whining and stop allowing urine to find its way on your carpet. that is pretty inexcusable and if i were your landlord i would be holding you responsible for the replacement of the carpet. that is unsanitary and uncouth. no wonder the housing authority wouldn't answer your questions. you can't **** on your carpet and then act surprised when you aren't given your deposit back or held responsible.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 604 times
Default Been kicked out of a condo!

Need help to protect tenant's right!

We rent a 1970s condo. The roof leaked last week in the heavy snow. Water poured from the top floor and leaks in basement.

The landlord find some people to fix. They set up nine huge fans drying each floor. The rooms are horrible! Like a noisy and dirty mill! I was shocked when I got back home at 9pm. Then I called the landlord and was told that any machines should not be stopped. They must keep working day and night until the floors are totally dry. I have no other choice but move to a hotel! I searched a nearest hotel and drove out at 11:00pm! I have moved from one hotel to another in the past four days!

The drying process has not been finished! The landlord also has arranged some other repair. I was only told that once the machines are moved, I can move in. I was scared to move out again at 11pm! What can I do?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,842,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving91 View Post
Need help to protect tenant's right!

We rent a 1970s condo. The roof leaked last week in the heavy snow. Water poured from the top floor and leaks in basement.

The landlord find some people to fix. They set up nine huge fans drying each floor. The rooms are horrible! Like a noisy and dirty mill! I was shocked when I got back home at 9pm. Then I called the landlord and was told that any machines should not be stopped. They must keep working day and night until the floors are totally dry. I have no other choice but move to a hotel! I searched a nearest hotel and drove out at 11:00pm! I have moved from one hotel to another in the past four days!

The drying process has not been finished! The landlord also has arranged some other repair. I was only told that once the machines are moved, I can move in. I was scared to move out again at 11pm! What can I do?
it isn't a good idea to ask a question on an extant thread. start a new thread, if you want it to be answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or