Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:56 PM

133 posts, read 534,449 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning on moving to LA in either May or June of next year. We have visited there several times already to make sure that LA is certainly the place for us, and we are planning to staying with good friends of ours in North Hollywood next spring while we look for apartments (I know this is planning very far in advance, but we are both moving away from out parents for the first time, so we're trying to be very organized). However, we still aren't very familiar with the city and the neighborhood (at least when it comes to the decent, but still affordable areas), and this is where I need all you veteran LA residents.

We have been looking at apartments in North Hollywood, since we are already pretty familiar with it after staying with our friends on three or four occasions, but I'm pretty open to suggestions. We will only have one car, so it's important for us to have access to the metro/bus lines for when one of us is using the car. We've set ourselves a maximum of $1,100 on the monthly rent, but will take anything cheaper (as long as we're not living in an area where we have to decide whether to be Bloods or Crips, hehe). There are also a few apartments we have found listed as being in Koreatown off Wilshire Blvd... is this an alright neighborhood? Anymore suggestions would be lovely.

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 05:43 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times
You might look in adjacent Toluca Lake and Burbank as well. There are apartments in your price range and it's nicer than North Hollywood. You might look in Hollywood proper. It's far more lively and more attractive than North Hollywood and the PT is the best in the L.A. area. North Hollywood also has excellent PT with access to Metro Rail, the Busway and a plethora of buses. Koreatown is a completely different place. It's a more urban environment and has to be taken block by block. Some of the most gorgeous old apartments in L.A. are in Koreatown, if you care about that sort of thing. My main gripe about Koreatown is there isn't much for young people to do in your own neighborhood. Stick close to Wilshire if you look there and definitely above
8th. I'm not sure if you've seen North Hollywood yet but it's not the prettiest place...

Old 10-18-2007, 11:42 PM

Thanks so much! I will definitely look into the two you mentioned. I've found an apartment in Los Feliz (I think that's what it was called?) somewhere a bit down Hollywood Blvd. and close to the Vermont/Sunset station. The pictures look nice, but that's hardly something to go by. Is it worth looking into some more?

Thanks again!

Old 10-20-2007, 01:32 AM

636 posts, read 2,644,583 times
Default Stay home, get an education, don't move in with the boyfriend

Will you be pregnant and running home to mamma in a few months?

Old 10-20-2007, 08:54 AM

Excuse me? I came to this forum to have a few questions answered, not be criticized. Just because I choose to move away with my boyfriend of four years doesn't mean I'm planning on becoming pregnant any time soon, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm giving up on my education.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:05 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post

That was uncalled for and not nice.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:14 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
That was uncalled for and not nice.
But most likely true. He'll move onto another girl, get on with his life. Her parents will pick up the pieces. Those are the odds.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
But most likely true. He'll move onto another girl, get on with his life. Her parents will pick up the pieces. Those are the odds.
Are you really as cold-hearted in real life as you are online? Or is it just the fact that you don't have the confidence to be as cruel in person, and you really need somewhere to get that mean spirit out of your system where you can't see just how hurtful your comments are?

Like I said before, I came for help to try an ease my move to California at least a little bit. If you have nothing to comment on other than my apparantly stupidity and my boyfriend's supposed unfaithfulness, I'd appreciate it if you'd kindly end the rudeness.

Last edited by part_iv; 10-20-2007 at 05:53 PM..

Old 10-20-2007, 11:56 PM

188 posts, read 989,282 times
Quote:
Spoken like a true LA Radio icon, TOM LEYKIS! Yeah listen to the professor. Work on your career- you need atleast $60k to live in LA as a couple.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:06 AM

We've plenty of money saved up, both of our parents along with the extended family are helping us out, and we've got great paying jobs with another 7 or 8 months before we leave to save even more. My mother has been a banker for nearly thirty years, and so finances were the first thing to be sorted out. There'd be no way in hell of me even thinking about leaving if she didn't think we were not going to be okay.

So... ayone have any opinions on Los Feliz? Maybe something that could help me out even the slightest bit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles