Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 04:23 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Do you really want to compare QOL between NYC and LA? LA is no bargain, but its noticeably less expensive. There's a NYer posting here who says he pays $2200 a month for a studio. A STU-DI-O.
He's not a real NYer. Probably a transplant and lives in Manhattan. Manhattan is the only borough that can command that nonsense and not be called out. Also, the downtown parts of boroughs closest to Manhattan. The further away you are from Manhattan, the more affordable your rents.

Quote:
Then you have all the issues with the trash, the rodents, the horrible weather, and a subway system that apparently also serves as a trash recepticale.
Not denying any of this, but even as a trash receptacle as you call it, it's STILL the BEST public transportation in the country.

Quote:
Los Angeles can be tough, but no city gives you less bang for your buck than New York, no offense.
Yes, I agree. You can find affordable apartments in LA, even if you have bad credit. The most they'll make you pay is extra security.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
And as for Hollywood, I'd rather focus on the people that live there, in downtown, in East L.A., Atwater, etc than the rich yuppies and beverley hill types that everyone thinks represents L.A..

Weezer - Beverly Hills - YouTube

Most people can't associate with Hef's lifestyle.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:09 PM

Here ya go. Argue with yourself about whether you can get hired in LA or NY without knowing someone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I really lucked out with my current job, because it was a hook up through friends.
Quote:
There are no decent paying jobs in Los Angeles, unless you know someone.

Quote:
Yes. In LA you don't have to be good or even the best at what you do. You just need to know someone or look the part.
If I accept your personal experience as argument same might be true in NYC...

NYC's 8.8% unemployment rate isn't exactly a sparkling diamond.

Change the words to "if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere (except LA). Thought New Yorkers were tough.

Apparently some people do get chewed up and spit out.

If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere...... - YouTube

Last edited by Senno; 12-30-2012 at 08:44 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,623,973 times
I am sort of with Marilyn on some points. The job market situation is totally a joke in LA. In NYC you get hired because of skills, education, impressionability, etc. In LA I don't know how some of these people get hired. It's definitely a who ya know kind of town, hook ups, deals, favors.

The fight for jobs is competitive as hell in NYC, DC and Boston. The best of the best go to these towns to make their mark and you will feel the intense pressure to succeed. In LA, you get frustrated because the line for the job, the audition, the writing seminar, the chance to meet someone in the industry, whatever is filled with people who most probably should not be there in the first place. A lot of small town guys and girls with massive cojones in front of you to get one job. And I mean every job from office ones with high pay to low wage ones. Employers hate training so they'll ask for two years experience in sign flipping or what not.

As one recruiter told me, "LA has plenty of job openings, it's just there are way too many unqualified people that the qualified people get overlooked". It just sucks because in LA there are busloads of people arriving daily of people with no discernible skills, no education, no master plan...just a dime and dream.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
As one recruiter told me, "LA has plenty of job openings, it's just there are way too many unqualified people that the qualified people get overlooked". It just sucks because in LA there are busloads of people arriving daily of people with no discernible skills, no education, no master plan...just a dime and dream.
We know about those dreamers, and I tried to impart to one in a thread how hard it was to make it.

I don't know if the poster will actually try or not. I just didn't want to stomp on him and say absolutely don't try.

Part of the no judgement "live and let live" thing I suppose.

The chances of stardom are so low, but I went to school with 3 who did actually make it after hard work. It can be done.

Those that don't make it, I suppose some go home and ***** on the internet.

Moving to Santa Monica after high school

Old 12-30-2012, 08:57 PM

810 posts, read 1,341,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I am sort of with Marilyn on some points. The job market situation is totally a joke in LA. In NYC you get hired because of skills, education, impressionability, etc. In LA I don't know how some of these people get hired. It's definitely a who ya know kind of town, hook ups, deals, favors.

The fight for jobs is competitive as hell in NYC, DC and Boston. The best of the best go to these towns to make their mark and you will feel the intense pressure to succeed. In LA, you get frustrated because the line for the job, the audition, the writing seminar, the chance to meet someone in the industry, whatever is filled with people who most probably should not be there in the first place. A lot of small town guys and girls with massive cojones in front of you to get one job. And I mean every job from office ones with high pay to low wage ones. Employers hate training so they'll ask for two years experience in sign flipping or what not.

Usually the very high-paying out of college jobs recruit directly out of college, or only someone specialized in that field has a chance at being taken seriously.

These unqualified people are typically competing for per hour work.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Here ya go. Argue with yourself about whether you can get hired in LA or NY without knowing someone:

If I accept your personal experience as argument same might be true in NYC...
I had already made the decision to move back to NYC before I found out about this job. Once my friend knew I was definitely coming back, then introductions were made. It really was a complete fluke, but one I am grateful for. If I wasn't able to get permanent work, I knew with my skills I could most definitely find some temp assignments.

Quote:
NYC's 8.8% unemployment rate isn't exactly a sparkling diamond.
Never said it was, but it's still doing better than LA jobwise. I know so many people that were able to score holiday work beginning in September. This is unheard of in LA.

Quote:
Change the words to "if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere (except LA). Thought New Yorkers were tough.
No, if you can make it in LA, then you can make it anywhere. If you can't, well...the thousands of homeless all over the place are the result.

There's a difference between being "tough" and putting yourself through unnecessary emotional/financial trauma when you don't have to.

Last edited by marilyn220; 12-30-2012 at 09:10 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Usually the very high-paying out of college jobs recruit directly out of college, or only someone specialized in that field has a chance at being taken seriously.

These unqualified people are typically competing for per hour work.
They also have the drive to apply for high pay work. Especially the ones that went to podunk schools and are trying to make it other creative fields besides acting and music; think advertising, marketing, consulting. LA also attracts people breaking into all facets tied with entertainment. I count the semi-educated people like the ones that attend CC get their associates in music tech or music relations or some other marginal degree and fill up spots. Point is I found it odd that for a city this huge I don't get the impression that ivy leaguers rush in droves to get here like they would NYC.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 PM

I don't much about NYC cus I just didn't even bother with all the stiff competition there but I did try Boston and the applying, interviewing, second interviewing thing was smooth and worked. Same in Houston.

LA though is a different bird and not only do people work the same job for years there is also an incredibly high turnover for almost all work too. So one guy in your company, firm, store, whatever could work there for years and then the job you're applying for could have been filled by six different people in one year.

I am so glad I brought my work with me. I would not even want to put up with the LA job market.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I had already made the decision to move back to NYC before I found out about this job. Once my friend know I was definitely coming back, then introductions were made. It really was a complete fluke, but one I am grateful for. If I wasn't able to get permanent work, I knew with my skills I could most definitely find some temp assignments.
I was transferred from Bakersfield to Pasadena when work dried up. Was offered another position in Anchorage. Fortunately I had my choice and turned down Anchorage. I was trained up and put to work. Still happens as they hire recent college grads all the time as their boomers retire.

Your personal experience differs from mine.

Quote:
Never said it was, but it's still doing better than LA jobwise. I know so many people that were able to score holiday work beginning in September. This is unheard of in LA.
Hiring part time seasonal work is common everywhere. It can sometimes turn into permanent positions. But those are mostly the retail positions you disdain aren't they?

Quote:
No, if you can make it in LA, then you can make it anywhere. If you can't, well...the thousands of homeless all over the place are the result.

There's a difference between being "tough" and putting yourself through unnecessary emotional/financial trauma when you don't have to.
It's a free country. Someone can travel and live wherever they want. Who can stop the dreamers flocking to Hollywood if they want to?

With NYC's unemployment and flying their homeless out it's not exactly a bed of roses in NYC.

For me, I will take non-judgemental "live and let live" Angelinos, thanks.

Your mileage may vary.

BTW the angst over the Dodgers and Giants leaving NY is still very real. So yeah, NY'ers think of the LA Dodgers quite often...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles