U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,587 posts, read 19,761,909 times
Reputation: 16080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I love Los Angeles. I criticize it alot, but that's because i love it. I want it to be better. Not be another city, but beat them at their own game. That way New Yorkers can't talk **** no more.
A. You seem to be the only one who cares about that.

B. They will anyway, no matter what changes.

 
Old 12-27-2012, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
972 posts, read 611,082 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Let's not turn this into LA vs SF.

I have noticed, those in sunbelt cities outside the southwest seem to have a bigger problem with LA than anyone. I read the Houston/Dallas forums sometimes, and the level of hatred they have for LA is significantly stronger than anywhere else. One person will bring it up, 7 or 8 will instantly corroborate, 1 will say LA has more this or that, everyone will gang up on that person, followed by some joke about high taxes and socialism, or the lack of morality. Anything to feel holier-than-thou.

Strangely enough, these people are also the most obsessed with reality tv, dancing with the stars, and the Kardashians. In N Out was a huge deal when it came to Dallas (look it up on youtube) and Houston is clamoring for one as well.

At the same time, those cities want to think of themselves as more like LA than they really are. People across the country (maybe excluding NYC) visit LA once and talk about it for years on end.

I have noticed San Franciscans hate LA, but I think it has to do more with being conditioned to; than the actual hatred you find in other places.

Generally, a lot of "urban" types dislike LA because it's spread out. They believe everything needs to be compressed into a small nucleus and that is it. If anything, most of the world's major cities are very compressed & dense, not everywhere needs to be that way.

For whatever reason, LA does bring out some jealousy in people that no other city does, NYC doesn't even come close. I think the hatred is mainly an attempt to mitigate that, at least among a large population of those who hate LA.
Oh, don't even get me started on those people from places like Texas...you are absolutely right on that. That's why I mentioned it.
 
Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
972 posts, read 611,082 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by databasegeek View Post
My ex who I still love to death was 1 of the 2 reasons (2nd being a job with microsoft) I moved to LA after grad school few years ago.

She has a bachelors degree in a good field but wanted to become an actress. Tried for years and now she's in the sex industry. It makes me sad and hurt someone with potential in another field is now in the sex industry.

I never once doubted her abilities and supported her all the way but sometimes people have to realize their life is wasting away... I'm probably wrong to say that but I just think its ok to fail achieving a dream and find another opportunity...

The thought of it all hurts me still. I don't hate any group of people but it disturbs me that some people are willing to do anything to make it in hollywood even if it includes sacrificing themselves. I don't know I'm probably thinking stupid right now cause it makes me emotional
ouch! That hurts to hear. Is her choice the reason she's your ex (sorry if that's too personal)? I agree though, there should be a line.
 
Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
972 posts, read 611,082 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
A. You seem to be the only one who cares about that.

B. They will anyway, no matter what changes.
I think he's just having fun. I mean, I''m sure he's half serious but I don't think he's really tripping. I find it funny.
 
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM
 
14,151 posts, read 11,791,596 times
Reputation: 10046
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
It's like this unspoken plight to be more of an activist, to be a better artist, to be more socially conscious and this righteousness very different to the self righteousness you see in the bible belt but of the same type of pride and spirit--being above people because YOUR ideals are better
I think this was a perceptive post. It seems to be human nature to feel superior to others. You are right. People of all political persuasions can be that way (including the ones who profess that they aren't this way).

By the way, you shouldn't refer to people as "that". It's "people who", not "people that". When you say "people that" you are implying those about whom you're speaking are less than human. (Yes, I know...I feel superior when I correct people's grammar. I can't help myself ).
 
Old 12-27-2012, 07:54 PM
 
14,151 posts, read 11,791,596 times
Reputation: 10046
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
haha! Reminds me of my boy who moved up there after living in LA his whole life. Him and his girl both from here. They both came back "hella" this and that which is fine, but they were all super social conscious and he was like I'm never moving back to LA. LA is fake and blah, blah, blah. Last year he called me saying he's tired of the gloominess and it's not REALLY diverse in SF and every one is just trying to out hipster everyone and now they are contemplating moving back to LA. Don't get me wrong, I love the Bay. I just feel there's this shared hate of LA amongst a lot (not all) them and it's funny because people here don't hate the bay at all. It's like the little sister always trying to compete against the big brother (or sister, I consider LA a chick personified) who really loves his lil sister and doesn't really pay attention to the sibling rivalry because their isn't one...
The SF Bay Area just has a different brand of superficiality than L.A. And you are right...it doesn't seem like people in L.A. or SoCal hate SF or the Bay Area, but there is an undercurrent of snariness from the Bay Area, especially SF, toward SoCal in general and L.A. in particular.
 
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
3,502 posts, read 2,515,924 times
Reputation: 4391
People in Hawaii profess to hating L.A.

Well, I can see giving them a break.
 
Old 12-27-2012, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
972 posts, read 611,082 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think this was a perceptive post. It seems to be human nature to feel superior to others. You are right. People of all political persuasions can be that way (including the ones who profess that they aren't this way).

By the way, you shouldn't refer to people as "that". It's "people who", not "people that". When you say "people that" you are implying those about whom you're speaking are less than human. (Yes, I know...I feel superior when I correct people's grammar. I can't help myself ).
When I looked it over and I saw all of my "that(s)" and thought to myself about how my old editor Rob hated "that" but it's grammatically correct it's just not grammatically sound. I have a degree in journalism and majored in English most of college before switching, I take pride in ignoring most of the grammatical, spelling errors and etc., I see on here while also not caring too much about my own. It's my way of not being a know-it-all which I use to be (being schooled in the literature arts) and had to teach myself not to be that way because half the time people knew better but just didn't care as much as I did and one day it clicked on how persnickety and annoying it could be. But I hear ya, thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
 
Old 12-27-2012, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
972 posts, read 611,082 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The SF Bay Area just has a different brand of superficiality than L.A. And you are right...it doesn't seem like people in L.A. or SoCal hate SF or the Bay Area, but there is an undercurrent of snariness from the Bay Area, especially SF, toward SoCal in general and L.A. in particular.
Right?! I totally agree. It's annoying as heck too. I had a roommate that was from there and he was always trying to "think out of the box" and be contrary to things for no reason. He tried too hard IMO. If I told him I loved my iphone, he would go into why I shouldn't and blah, blah, blah. If he came in and I was watching a movie that was dumb, he'd go into how and why he didn't understand this and that about the movie and the industry and etc., And I couldn't put my finger on it until I visited SF more and met more people from there. Don't get me wrong as a whole, I can't say much but a lot of them have this "I know more than you about these things..." attitude and it clicked with me as to why he acted the way he did. Having said that, he was a loyal dude. I got into it with a random guy screaming at an old cashier over a dollar and my roommate had my back about. To this day he calls me when he comes to town and get butt hurt if I don't get back to him...Kinda reminds me of a west coast version of a Boston native.
 
Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 PM
 
1,185 posts, read 859,507 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I think he's just having fun. I mean, I''m sure he's half serious but I don't think he's really tripping. I find it funny.
I'm partially serious.

When it comes to PT, L.A. is the butt of the joke.

The thing is, I wan't LA to get the respect it deserves. And that means the media taking some control.

This is a start:

Downtown L A finally depicted in Movies in a positive light - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top