Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
That's what I picture low rent shows to have for a staff.

For network and cable I picture the same cool nerd type yipsters I dealt with in college. They literally form an establishment of what's hot, what's funny and what's not. I picture John Krasinski or Paul Rudd looking sarcastic trendy guys that think improv is the funniest thing in the world, still think acting sarcastically 'gangster' is funny, and their music library is filled with Jeff Buckley-esque music. You ask them if they like Jackson C. Frank or Silvio Rodriguez too and most will give you a blank stare. I started talking to one of these types about movies and one of the guys had never even seen Michael Mann's Heat. How the hell does someone get a gig and has never seen Heat? Yet, they do. I don't know if it's connections, they have big brass balls, or if they're just that plugged into what's in that studios think they're money makers.

IDK, perhaps someone on the inside will shed light into this?
It's crazy, isn't it? Heat is a fantastic movie that gets overlooked by many. And that also has some of the best LA cinematography ever. Collateral is good, but it's all at night.

I guess it is this new generation that thinks they can write great stuff without actually watching this old great stuff.

I've been in 1 writer's room, and I didn't experience what you say, although I'm sure that exists on some shows. They say TV is so much better than movies today, but I watch very few TV shows because most of them disappoint me.

Regarding jumping into writing full-force, I don't think you really need to be up-to-date on everything. Just know what's hot and isn't. Hell I don't watch most of that stuff you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 AM

502 posts, read 717,231 times
I had a lot of friends around L.A. that wanted to get into acting/entertainment, most of them have moved on with jobs, families, etc. except for one peculiar friend of mine who is over 30, homeless, jobless and still won't give up on trying to be an actor.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It's crazy, isn't it? Heat is a fantastic movie that gets overlooked by many. And that also has some of the best LA cinematography ever. Collateral is good, but it's all at night.

I guess it is this new generation that thinks they can write great stuff without actually watching this old great stuff.

I've been in 1 writer's room, and I didn't experience what you say, although I'm sure that exists on some shows. They say TV is so much better than movies today, but I watch very few TV shows because most of them disappoint me.

Regarding jumping into writing full-force, I don't think you really need to be up-to-date on everything. Just know what's hot and isn't. Hell I don't watch most of that stuff you said.
What was your experience like in a room full of writers? I've only met a couple here and there but was never in an actual working room with them.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 AM
PDF

Quote:
What was your experience like in a room full of writers? I've only met a couple here and there but was never in an actual working room with them.
Pretty normal and low key. It wasn't a show on one of the big networks, so a small group. 7 staff writers. Half the time they write at the showrunner's house.

I can only imagine the craziness of a writer's room on somewhere like FOX or ABC. That's probably more in tune with what you were talking about.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Pretty normal and low key. It wasn't a show on one of the big networks, so a small group. 7 staff writers. Half the time they write at the showrunner's house.

I can only imagine the craziness of a writer's room on somewhere like FOX or ABC. That's probably more in tune with what you were talking about.
I mean it can't be all the studio execs and big dogs fault that TV and movie writing is so bad. A lot of good stuff was being pumped out along with the bad during the 90s. I've been watching the X-Files on Netflix and was amazed at how good the show was and how all of this deep and highly controversial stuff was shown. I highly doubt any of that would be aired again post-9/11 and in this highly apathetic lifestyle promoting tv culture. If there is any good stuff at all it's on cable these days.

I remember when the Simpsons was a very subtle progressive-leaning show with the wittiest funniest and clever stuff out there. I look back at it and all the jokes and references I didn't get as a kid and think it's brilliant. But today's Simpsons episodes are so unbearable. I mean Lisa went from a pretty down to earth progressive would be scholar to a pretentious prestige ***** that just name drops the latest academic trends and hip establishment culture. I think this says a lot as the change of writers going from the grunge 90s super crunchy smart slacker era to straight trendy yipster (as Lisa is supposedly the representative of the writers views from what I've read).

Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times

Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

Did not mean to jack anyone's thread, but where is the OP? There have been a lot of responses to his initial post.

To go back to the OP, I see no reason, if he is being honest, not to come to LA. If he has a steady income and flexible schedule, he can make it. I think that most people define "making it" as being a big time Hollywood celeb and not just being a working actor like I do. To me just working in the biz and making a decent living is making it

Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
PDF

Quote:
Did not mean to jack anyone's thread, but where is the OP? There have been a lot of responses to his initial post.

To go back to the OP, I see no reason, if he is being honest, not to come to LA. If he has a steady income and flexible schedule, he can make it. I think that most people define "making it" as being a big time Hollywood celeb and not just being a working actor like I do. To me just working in the biz and making a decent living is making it
Didn't mean to hijack it either, I think the side conversation just got a little carried away and we ran with it.

I think everyone has a different definition of making it in the biz, I know mine is different than BarcelonaFan's. The point I was trying to make earlier is that so many people like the OP are in this what-if situation. At 31 and being unsure, I think that would be flushing everything down the toilet.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Didn't mean to hijack it either, I think the side conversation just got a little carried away and we ran with it.

I think everyone has a different definition of making it in the biz, I know mine is different than BarcelonaFan's. The point I was trying to make earlier is that so many people like the OP are in this what-if situation. At 31 and being unsure, I think that would be flushing everything down the toilet.
So PDF, would you say even just working in the biz as an actor, comedian, writer or any field is a long shot too?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 AM
PDF

Quote:
So PDF, would you say even just working in the biz as an actor, comedian, writer or any field is a long shot too?
What do you mean? I'm not too familiar with making it in other fields besides writing, but I guess it boils down to pure luck and hard work?

But the OP was asking that if someone had Brad Pitt looks and all the ingredients associated with success, would he have a chance. Certainly there are actors who got started real late, but most don't wake up out of their comfortable life and say hey I want to become an actor. But does the OP have all that? Because it didn't sound like it.

I know I'm going to enjoy my move to LA even if I don't get a script sold within 6 months or whatever. Because Hollywood is not the sole reason I am moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles