Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 04:14 PM

396 posts, read 1,719,583 times

Advertisements

im surprised you guys arent tired of people asking these questions, but anyway; I'm planning on moving to Los Angeles in December to go to film school, and im looking for an apartment.

the school is at Universal Studios, so im mainly looking for something about 10 miles away from Universal.

Im wanting to spend no more than $900 a month, and obviously want to be in a safe are (who doesn't?). it's just me by myself, and ill barely be there so a studio/bachelor/efficiency is fine with me.

i was wondering what you guys thought of these areas:

North Hollywood: ive heard the further north you go, the grittier the neighborhood is, which is why i assume the rates are cheaper (ive seen some for as low as $700).

Studio City: I know a couple people here, just wondering if anyone knows of any under $900 apartments.

Burbank: Good area, i know. Not many cheaper apartments though.

Mid-Wilshire: Ive heard different opinions about this area. Some say they would never live there, some say it's just fine. How's the crime in this area? I know not everyone that lives there is going to be a victim of some crime, since usually the vitcims know the perp, but still, id like to be safe. From what ive seen, the rates here are fairly cheap ($650-900).

any help would be awesome.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,318,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereistic01 View Post
im surprised you guys arent tired of people asking these questions, but anyway; I'm planning on moving to Los Angeles in December to go to film school, and im looking for an apartment.

the school is at Universal Studios, so im mainly looking for something about 10 miles away from Universal.

Im wanting to spend no more than $900 a month, and obviously want to be in a safe are (who doesn't?). it's just me by myself, and ill barely be there so a studio/bachelor/efficiency is fine with me.

i was wondering what you guys thought of these areas:

North Hollywood: ive heard the further north you go, the grittier the neighborhood is, which is why i assume the rates are cheaper (ive seen some for as low as $700).

Studio City: I know a couple people here, just wondering if anyone knows of any under $900 apartments.

Burbank: Good area, i know. Not many cheaper apartments though.

Mid-Wilshire: Ive heard different opinions about this area. Some say they would never live there, some say it's just fine. How's the crime in this area? I know not everyone that lives there is going to be a victim of some crime, since usually the vitcims know the perp, but still, id like to be safe. From what ive seen, the rates here are fairly cheap ($650-900).

any help would be awesome.

thanks.

North Hollywood/NoHo: I'm not a fan. I'm really not...but what NoHo has going for it is the Red Line terminus...and cheap apartments. I see lots of pretty young college types hanging out in NoHo but it's still not pretty...NoHo and North Hollywood in general are icky but you can find little pockets that are decent.

Burbank: I really like it. Very laid back. You seldom hear a horn honk or anyone yell profanity in traffic. It's also right over the hill from Hollywood via Barham. I hung out there earlier this evening...actually right in the border in Toluca Lake. There are two distinct great areas to hang out in Burbank. Bob's Big Boy has a sort of volunteer car show every Friday night. I like to go have Chili Spagetti and drool over the nice rides from mild to half a million. I just looked on Craigslist and there are quite a few smaller apartments under 900 a month there and in Studio City. Now is the time to get them, come September they'll thin out. Media Center is a nice place to kill time and spend money or just hang out. There are sometimes some really reasonable apartments to the north and northeast of this location.

Studio City: nice area. The closer to Ventura Blvd, the more the apartments...also more if they are in the hills. Nice place to live if you're young.

Mid Wilshire/Koreatown: It used to be a lot worse. A LOT worse. My advice to you about the area is this; if you're street smart, you'll probably do just fine. There are LOTS of young professionals living down there who have discovered it as a reasonable place to live in L.A. and the area absolutely HORRIFIES the types who barracade themselves in gated communities and car based suburbs. It's an honest urban area with a subway, tons of buses and stunning architecture. Stay close to Wilshire. Venture too far south and it gets ugly. Go north of Wilshire on Western and it gets ugly. Some of the most gorgeous apartments I've ever seen in L.A. are in Koreatown. You can ride to work on the train. The Red Line does a funny little thing out to Western, it's a separate train. If you live around Vermont, you can take one train to work. If you live around Western, you take 2 unless you feel like taking a bus or walking. My big gripe about the area is that there isn't much that I like to do that's open at night. I think that will change in time. I've walked the area extensively between 9pm and 4am at all times of the week considering some potential investments and I'm happy to report pretty much all the stuff I used to see 12 years ago when I briefly lived in the area has vanished. There are a few homeless people and I saw a drug deal on 3rd street and a couple used rubbers in an alley but for the most part it's just a typical urban scene.

Look in Toluca Lake as well. It's adjacent Burbank and also a nice place to live. Be careful of the word "adjacent". It usually means North Hollywood.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:10 AM

491 posts, read 2,284,903 times
Everything Sorcerer said. I lived in Burbank many, many years ago, and Bob's was one of my favorite places to eat - there wasn't a lot to choose from actually, LOL. It was safe enough to take walks at night.

I would stay the heck away from NoHo. Ugly and unsafe - gang-ridden.

Koreatown? I had a friend who lived in a stunning art deco apartment in a high-rise there. Make sure you have secured parking. The traffic there is insane though. Somehow Koreatown reminds me of Blade Runner.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:19 PM

396 posts, read 1,719,583 times
i visited la back in august, to check out the school i wanna go to. drove through north hollywood, im definantly not moving there unless every other apartment in burbank is taken.

i think ive decided on burbank to move to, or somewhere close to that (toluca lake, studio city, possibly glendale) the school is at universal studio, so if can walk there if i want to. found a bunch of cheaper apartments on craigslist for under $900.

also thinking about hollywood, i like the area, but i only saw it during the day doing the usually tourist stuff. not sure how it is at night. i loved amoeba records, there are no good record stores at all here in houston so it was great to go to a record store with more than 3 racks of cds.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:28 PM

31 posts, read 329,259 times
If you do a search on my name, you can find a few posts I've written about the Mid-City area. Keep in mind that Mid-Wilshire and Mid-City are technically two different areas. Wilshire between La Brea and Fairfax is the "Miracle Mile," and Mid-Wilshire is the area within few blocks in every direction. Mid-City - which sounds more like what you're talking about - really starts around Wilshire and Wilton Place, and goes east until you hit something like Vermont or Normandie.

My wife and I lived about three blocks from Wilton and Wilshire and the end of the red line for almost five years between 1996 and 2001. Had one bad incident in terms of crime - someone broke into our garage (by knocking down the flimsy, 70-year old wood in between ours and the one next door), and stole some of my camping stuff. Other than that - and that can happen anywhere, really - I found it a pretty mellow area. Some homeless, not too bad. Kind of diverse - probably 50% latino, 35% asian (mainly Korean), 10% white, 5% black/other.

We moved south, to an area around La Brea and Crenshaw that was more black, less white/latino. That turned out to be a great street, although there were some iffy areas a few blocks over.

But I really liked the Koreatown/Mid-City area.

Sorry, I just read your second post.. Burbank it is. OKies, not quite the same urban vibe as Mid-City. Not everone likes that, of course.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:23 PM

723 posts, read 2,992,022 times
I work on Wilshire, west of mid-wilshire, in the Miracle Mile area. And my advice is stay as far west as you can if you are going to this area. West of miracle mile is beverly hills, so you know the area improves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles