Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,216,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Yeah I've worked at the same office job for 10 years but in 2011 I took a part-time gig at the Nike store over there. Love that place. I love grabbing a beer at the food court and sitting and looking at the ocean shimmer when the sun is out. Do you live in SM too?
Oh wow! I probably passed you in the streets. I live in w LA off of SM Blvd. Now I work in Century City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,384,046 times
Quote:
There's so many people that move to this city, (including myself) I thought I'd ask how people ended up here. When did you move? What were your circumstances? Do you like it? Plan on moving away, staying? You get my point. Answer it in this same format:

Moved here in 98 from Beloit, WI.
Less than $500 in my pocket.
Stayed in a hostel off Hollywood Blvd. on day one.
Applied to some trade school (dropped out after a semester, graduate from a Cal state later) but wasn't sure I was accepted yet and just came out here.
Luckily I was and was given housing.
Been here ever since. Came out to write/direct (finally started working on that 14 years later).
Love the city, favorite city in the world and don't plan on moving--ever.
That's a great story. Too bad that can't be done today. I will be moving to LA within months, absolutely can't wait. Starting fresh.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:20 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,632,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Oh wow! I probably passed you in the streets. I live in w LA off of SM Blvd. Now I work in Century City.
LOL, my main gig is on Santa Monica Blvd. right down the street from Century City across the street from the Mormon temple, on Little Santa Monica to be exact.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That's a great story. Too bad that can't be done today. I will be moving to LA within months, absolutely can't wait. Starting fresh.
I was just lucky, it could be done still, I've heard crazier stories recently but yeah, now it's gotten harder but LA has also gotten better in my opinion. What part of LA are you moving to?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,384,046 times
Quote:
I was just lucky, it could be done still, I've heard crazier stories recently but yeah, now it's gotten harder but LA has also gotten better in my opinion. What part of LA are you moving to?
I have a friend who has a crazier moving-to-LA story, but yup, LA is an improved and better city today than it was 15 years ago.

Not sure what part of LA, have quite a few neighborhoods I am looking into! But I am coming without a job. Where I live in LA isn't a big concern for me for right now.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM

215 posts, read 490,481 times
I moved to Mission Viejo, CA from Minneapolis, MN in January 2011 for first job out of college. After 8 horrible months in Orange County, I got a job offer on the technical side of entertainment industry up here in LA and I took it. I lived in Los Feliz for first 7 months and then moved to Westwood where I currently reside.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
I moved to Mission Viejo, CA from Minneapolis, MN in January 2011 for first job out of college. After 8 horrible months in Orange County, I got a job offer on the technical side of entertainment industry up here in LA and I took it. I lived in Los Feliz for first 7 months and then moved to Westwood where I currently reside.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of OC, it's boring and kinda similar to the midwest/south in some parts socially.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,100,360 times
Born here, been in and out because my dad was military. Came back after staying in Chicago for 8 years.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM

103 posts, read 167,333 times
It's good to see some positive stories about moving to LA, most on here are telling us not to move. We will be moving to LA in 47 days, for no reason other than we want to experience something different than the hot and boring Texas concrete jungle. We have vacationed there for years and a work opportunity has finally made it possible. So excited to really explore the city for more than a few days at a time!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 AM

72 posts, read 183,304 times
Started a lucrative home-based business in 2006, and then another in 2008. Realized that I could live anywhere very comfortably, and oscillated between practical major cities like Atlanta and Houston, and more .... expensive choices like LA and NYC.

Decided that, while I would save a lot more money living in ATL and Houston, if for no reasons other than taxes, the living experiences could not compare. I figured if I worked as hard as I have, I deserve to live in a city that people DREAM of living in, and rightfully so.

After weighing the pros and cons between NYC and LA, I decided that I had too many family members in NYC...

...so I decided on LA last Thursday. Currently packing up the things I'm not going to give away right now.

Living in a world class city will be VERY interesting, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles