U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-18-2007, 08:53 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
986 posts, read 2,447,629 times
Thumbs up Rents on the rise as home prices slip - La Times Article

Very interesting article in the LaTimes... As a condo owner (Fox Hills/Culver City, purchased in the early 90's & deeded to me) who's not looking to sell I don't mind the housing slump because I have a plethora of renters and can charge what I want. But to others who are looking to rent and people who are lookign to seel in overbuilt places like the IE and other outyling areas I'm sure they are hurting.

Rents on the rise as home prices slip - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-rents18oct18,0,6262683.story?track=mostviewed-storylevel - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-18-2007, 09:57 AM

15 posts, read 44,930 times
If one can afford a high rent...then he or she can afford a mortgage

Unread 10-18-2007, 10:31 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,055,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabungero View Post
If one can afford a high rent...then he or she can afford a mortgage
Your absolutely right. Ive been renting out my Sherman Oaks condo for a while and make a fairly nice profit on it each month. It amazes me that people are willing to pay me what really is a high rental rate just so they can say "I live in Sherman Oaks". I guess some people really arent financially savvy. They are sooooo concerned with "status" and/or materialistic things and "short term" thinking that they would rather pay more to rent, than less to own.

I'll never understand it. But then again, these are the same geniuses who are sooo concerned with how they look they tend to wear their sunglasses INDOORS!!!

Unread 10-18-2007, 02:45 PM

134 posts, read 364,572 times
Default They are smart

Buying RE now in LA is the worst investment possible, prices are now in free fall and will drop 50% over the next few years so maybe they are very smart.

Unread 10-18-2007, 04:23 PM

723 posts, read 2,041,981 times
Buying RE now in LA is the best investment possible, prices are now in a holding pattern in the nice areas and won't drop over the next few years- so maybe they aren't very smart.

Unread 10-18-2007, 04:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 17,055,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Buying RE now in LA is the best investment possible, prices are now in a holding pattern in the nice areas and won't drop over the next few years- so maybe they aren't very smart.
The only places that are good to buy right now are Downtown LA lofts and Woodland Hills. Downtown is definately up and coming and Woodland Hills will soon have a Grove type outdoor mall/shopping that will connect Westfield in Canoga Park with the Woodland Hills plaza along Topanga Canyon.

Unread 10-18-2007, 11:48 PM

134 posts, read 364,572 times
Default Skid Row

Those downtown lofts will all be section 8 housing in a few years.Sales are down more than 50% in LA and prices are falling and will for many years.

Unread 10-19-2007, 02:33 AM

5,465 posts, read 7,348,292 times
I see falling prices for a lot of years too. Sorry.

All you have to look at is the average household income and the average house price. Household income X3 = house price. Until the two match up, prices will fall and salaries will go up.

Unread 10-19-2007, 01:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,424,713 times
I cant speak for low mid class areas and below. But, in nicer parts of town Apartment Construction is big right now and has been over the past few years as builders have slowed down on condo development.

There is much demand, especially in areas where real estate is expensive.

If you cant own in west la the alternative is to rent there. Inventory sits longer but is still selling.

Unread 10-19-2007, 02:06 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,851,387 times
The sales rate in the SFV is in free-fall. It's down 70% below the historical average. Just before the crash of the early 90's, sales rates bottomed out at 64% below the historical average.

Reality has been denied as long as it can be. These next few years will be catastrophic for anyone who bought or leveraged their property after 2003. This real-estate crash will be the worst ever seen in living memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles