Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 AM

23 posts, read 54,960 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife soon will be relocating for work and we have to start looking for a new area. A little bit about us: we are both physicians in our 30's. We have a 3.5 year old boy and planning for more kids in the future. I work in Whittier/Fullerton area. She will take a position in Ontario. Good schools and kids activities are important to us. We have good income and are looking for an upscale area house in the range of $1-1.5M. So far, this is our list:

Diamond Bar
Walnut
Anaheim Hills
Yorba Linda

Some of my wife's future coworkers live in Irvine and Huntington Beach. I think it's a bit of commute to Ontario. Diamond Bar seems a natural choice since its right in the middle between our job locations. The country estates seem to stand out in that area so I am planning on checking them out. Yorba Linda is a better value but I heard that there are health concerns in that area due to oil drilling. IS this true?

Am I missing any good areas to consider? Which areas are better in terms of public school district?

Your help is really appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,838,589 times
Walnut is a bit cheaper than Diamond Bar... but my gosh, some of those estates on the hills in DB are amazing looking.

Walnut Valley USD serves Walnut and most of DB--It's one of the very top districts in LA County.

http://www.wvusd.k12.ca.us/pdfs/DistrictMap_2007.pdf

Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 PM

26,636 posts, read 26,559,630 times
Our now grown children's pediatrician and his office partner both lived in Diamond Bar, educated their children there and one has retired there.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 PM

385 posts, read 719,640 times
Diamond bar has always had good schools, they ship the riff raff off to LA. Bad side, if any, is the traffic to los angeles, if you ever head there, is HORRIBLE!!! That being said, where isnt it?

Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM

Thank you so much for your input! Any specific parts of Diamond Bar you would recommend?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,783,864 times
You might consider Chino Hills, too.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,130,409 times
Worth noting is that in DB or walnut, the majority of your child's future classmates will be Asian. This isn't a bad thing by any means, but better to know than be surprised (assuming you didn't know). Also, no health issues in YL. I spent much of my youth there and it is a nice city. I would also throw brea into the mix.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,838,589 times
Snoop Dogg's sons go to Diamond Bar High. Even Snoop knows what's good for his kids.

Snoop Dogg's Sons Headed to Diamond Bar High - Diamond Bar-Walnut, CA Patch

Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Worth noting is that in DB or walnut, the majority of your child's future classmates will be Asian. This isn't a bad thing by any means, but better to know than be surprised (assuming you didn't know). Also, no health issues in YL. I spent much of my youth there and it is a nice city. I would also throw brea into the mix.
Thank you for that. I think diversity is very important. I see lots for sale in YL, you get more for your money in YL then in DB it seems. Currently, Brea has NOTHING for sale, I mean inventory is really small.

Settling in YL would make my commute much shorter then my wife's but still not too bad for her (about 20 miles on way). We will definitely will be looking at Brea and YL.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Snoop Dogg's sons go to Diamond Bar High. Even Snoop knows what's good for his kids.

Snoop Dogg's Sons Headed to Diamond Bar High - Diamond Bar-Walnut, CA Patch
Hey, my son just learned how to talk but never too early to start in entertainment industry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles