Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:43 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,788,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Big deal, we get that type of temp difference in less than 24 hours.
Can I have your autograph? You can sign it "Troll."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,532,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Can I have your autograph? You can sign it "Troll."
Even that bit of drafting would require him to edit.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 PM

896 posts, read 1,392,979 times
Quote:
Big deal, we get that type of temp difference in less than 24 hours. Even our Mexican immigrants walk around in sweatshirts at 30 degrees. Angelinos are wimps. Guess all the tough folks got priced out to Victorville and what not. Seems more like that hyped out LA drama, residents are known for. Oh my gaaaawd look at me I'm freeeeeeeeeezing, it's 60 degrees out. Looooooooooooooook at me its soooo cold, now I can wear my ugggggggggggggggs, its freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing.

Newsflash LA, freezing starts at 32 degrees.
This is funny. I remember being in L.A in January. It was 70 and the girl in the hotel lobby talked about how cold it was. I am almost died laughing! It is 70 in January at 7pm at night!

Is this normal the minute it hits under 70 the heat comes on. I remember being in the beach cities with no air on in the stores in 80 degree and almost caught a cold from it being so dry.

Also, I understand how the one poster feels. I like a little humidity too and not dry heat.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 PM

569 posts, read 668,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
dont know if your trying to be funny here but he was just laughing at the fact that what we see as cold is nothing compared to upstate Michigan.
I lived in Illinois for 4 months during Winter one year coming from CA. Yes, after a couple of months temps in the 30's were welcome and it felt maybe a bit brisk but not coatworthy. Your body gets used to it. We are just used to NICE weather much of the year and don't particularly enjoy cold weather. Many of us also don't have the clothing required to stay warm when it is THAT cold. It just SEEMS so wrong to scrape ice off my windshield in the morning in Santa Barbara and to have my lawn be white with ice!

Old 01-17-2013, 04:41 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,364,398 times
Quote:
Big deal, we get that type of temp difference in less than 24 hours. Even our Mexican immigrants walk around in sweatshirts at 30 degrees. Angelinos are wimps. Guess all the tough folks got priced out to Victorville and what not. Seems more like that hyped out LA drama, residents are known for. Oh my gaaaawd look at me I'm freeeeeeeeeezing, it's 60 degrees out. Looooooooooooooook at me its soooo cold, now I can wear my ugggggggggggggggs, its freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing.

Newsflash LA, freezing starts at 32 degrees.
And still lol @ posters who think putting up with miserable garbage weather makes them "tough". That's not the word I would use to describe you.

Chicago is currently at 28 degrees.
Los Angeles is at 76.

Having fun, tough guy?

Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,466,431 times
here on the internet, everybody's tough

Old 01-17-2013, 11:24 PM

810 posts, read 1,337,389 times
Having lived in the midwest almost all of my life, I have never gotten used to the cold. I absolutely hate it. The only season I like is late spring/early summer - because it makes actual summer seem longer. By late summer, it starts getting cool some nights towards end of August into fall (high 40s sometimes). I also prefer winter to fall, only because it means spring is closer. Midwest spring is generally pleasant, better the further south you are in the midwest.

When it's really cold in winter, there is this short "transition period" when you walk into a room temperature from anything under 35. Like you are adjusting to the change, it actually takes energy out of you, it can at least. If it's really cold, under 20 with possibly negative wind chill, then that transition period is even longer. The cold also naturally slows metabolism and people do seem to gain weight during the cold midwest winter (even fit people), although it's usually blamed on the holidays.

Another thing I should say, there's also a large percent of people in cold parts of the US who don't seem to really notice or mind the cold at all, for some it may even be a bit of a pride thing. Anyone who complains about the cold is just a pansy, I definitely did notice a lot of that mentality in Chicago. The very cold also sort of adds to the provincial feel of the midwest, people like these snow days as an excuse to stay in and watch movies all day, they'll post it all over facebook like it's some amazing thing.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:49 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,800,951 times
Well, how about just going on about your life when it's cold?

Out here in the East West, or West Midwest, we don't talk about it unless it's sub-zero, or if the snow is exceptionally bad.

Just push the crap out of the way, put your beanie on and go for goodness sake.

If we want better weather, we know where to go to get it.

There are Southern Californians that rarely traverse the surrounding mountain ranges, so they may not really know what the rest of us outside of them have to endure (oh, the pain! ).

So give 'em a break.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:13 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,073,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
And still lol @ posters who think putting up with miserable garbage weather makes them "tough". That's not the word I would use to describe you.

Chicago is currently at 28 degrees.
Los Angeles is at 76.

Having fun, tough guy?
Do miss sporting a sick jacket though. I can here aswell, but I think i waited alittle too long..

Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,279,457 times
Anything below 60 degrees is freezing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles