Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:52 AM

118 posts, read 465,384 times

Advertisements

The whites there, who are just another minority could care less if the blacks and latinos and asians hate each other, actually maybe they like it because a community divided is better for them. Maybe that is why a white minority is not feared by the wealthy so much because they know that the other groups will never be united and they will keep control by divide and conquer, much like the British where able to control their empire for 100's of years. I had to give a macro point of view here because all I am seeing is ignorant and misplaced attempts at humor over this tragic reality. Massive immigration is not good for America, for now anyway.[/quote]

You are right. Speaking for myself, as a white person, I could not care less if the black, Latinos and Asians hate eachother.

So you think that white people control others by keeping them divided?
It seems to me that the blacks and Latinos are the one's who control the white people in California.
Whites are controlled where they can and cannot go because of fear of the blacks and lations.
A black person can walk down my street and not a mean word will be said to him. Let me walk down MLK Blvd in anytown, USA and see what is said or done to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 09:25 AM

38 posts, read 148,089 times
Hey man I got to say I am against the caning! How about we put some money into outreach programs and legalize drugs so there is no money in selling them.Then lets improve the public schools and force people to start learning English in grade school no matter what color you are ( as you live in California which is part of the United States not Mexico) The next thing we could do is improve the post secondary education and make the tuition cheap so that we will have an even more competitive work force than any other state.Lets lower taxes to encourage startups in poor areas of the city.Then lets hire some cops to kick the ass of the ones who dont want to do what they are supposed to.If everyone joins in we can improve the situation in a few years time but the truth is no one cares because gang violence happens in the Ghetto.I have not heard about to many drive by's in Laguna or Malibu.I think we may have experienced some drive by arson's last week in the burbs.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAngel2008 View Post
How about we put some money into outreach programs and legalize drugs so there is no money in selling them.

Then lets improve the public schools and force people to start learning English in grade school no matter what color you are ( as you live in California which is part of the United States not Mexico)

The next thing we could do is improve the post secondary education and make the tuition cheap so that we will have an even more competitive work force than any other state.

Lets lower taxes to encourage startups in poor areas of the city.

Then lets hire some cops to kick the ass of the ones who dont want to do what they are supposed to.If everyone joins in we can improve the situation in a few years time but the truth is no one cares because gang violence happens in the Ghetto..
Let's put money into...

Let's improve...

We could improve...

Let's hire....

Let's lower taxes....

Old 10-28-2007, 11:23 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Caning was introduced by the British... in the colonial era.
Wrong. It's part of Islamic law and practiced in all countries that follow sharia. Indonesia and Iran practice caning and I don't think they were ever British ruled. It goes back to the Koran and Sunna. In fact canings traditionally have been done in front of mosques.

http://www.corpun.com/aeju9510.htm

Old 10-28-2007, 11:55 AM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Wrong. It's part of Islamic law and practiced in all countries that follow sharia. Indonesia and Iran practice caning and I don't think they were ever British ruled. It goes back to the Koran and Sunna. In fact canings traditionally have been done in front of mosques.

Judicial caning, Arab Emirates, Oct 1995 - CORPUN ARCHIVE aeju9510
This is the reason why we are in a war against these fanatics.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:39 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
When did they adopt caning?

In any case, the British introduced caning to Singapore, so I am NOT wrong.

Overlooked Question in Singapore Caning Debate: Is the Teen-Ager Guilty? - New York Times

"In a caning, a punishment that dates to Singapore's British colonizers, a prisoner is tied to a large easel. His bare buttocks are then flogged by a trained official who wields a rattan cane, which tears open the skin. The punishment is so painful the prisoners typically go into shock, and the scars are permanent."

Now, I am not sure if the British came with caning on their own, or if they got it from someplace else. But, in Singapore's case, caning originated from the British.

Now, I found this letter to the editor, and it points to the origin of caning as... China?

The Singapore Debate : LETTERS TO THE EDITOR - International Herald Tribune

"In his letter of April 26, S.R. Nathan, Singapore's ambassador to the United States, states that "the Singapore government did not introduce caning; the British colonial government of Singapore did." This is correct insofar as it goes. But it gives the impression that the colonial government invented the practice, whereas it merely adapted a form of punishment that had been codified and in use in China since the 6th century. It was under the Sui Dynasty that caning or flogging was introduced as a more humane form of the "lesser punishments" of branding and cutting off the nose, which had hitherto been in use for minor offenses such as causing harm to private property or vandalism."

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Judicial caning, Arab Emirates, Oct 1995 - CORPUN ARCHIVE aeju9510

Old 10-28-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAngel2008 View Post
Then lets improve the public schools and force people to start learning English in grade school no matter what color you are ( as you live in California which is part of the United States not Mexico)
Uhm, all schools are supposed to be teaching English at some point. The purpose of ESL is to get the kids familiar with their native language before going to English.

No, schools fail because many are unable to deal with incompetently educated parents and failing society environments. Many kids who go into these urban schools are illiterate in Spanish AND English. Many houses do not read for pleasure. Schools are having difficulty with low priorities for education among students. Read this, and you will see why urban schools fail and will continue to fail: Los Angeles Unified School District: Inner-City Teacher Blues

Old 10-28-2007, 05:29 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss1956 View Post
If people are so uncivilized and act like animals, they must be controlled.
For every act of violence, there should be an equal and opposite reaction to counter their lawlessness and bring order to our cities.
Isn't that why there is so much murder in the first place? One gang member shoots another. So then there is an "equal and opposite reaction", as vigilante justice so to speak. And again. And again. Snowball effect. What do you think violent crime is? It's the use of violence to try to control a person.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:59 PM

As for the tried-and-true solutions to ending gangs, we have:
* Gentrification
* Arming police officers with heavy-duty weapons, such as machine guns
* Hiring more officers, especially from rural areas in other parts of the US with fading populations
* Controlling bureaucracy and corruption

Old 10-28-2007, 07:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Actually, this is kind of weird (haven't read the story) but the LA Times homocide blog did a study recently and most of the killings were NOT race related. A lot of them were kind of random -- like a black guy getting killed when he was hanging out with his Hispanic best friend and they were both running away from the bullets.

I'll have to read the story before I comment anymore, but I'd like to see what evidence they have that this is a racial thing.

I will say this: The young blacks killing other young blacks has reached a high point. Black mothers and fathers are really angry (as they should be). We all should be reaching out to help them. Something has to be done about this. Attitudes have to change to accomplish anything -- and it's not the parent's attitudes -- it's the kids. What can we do?
LA times quote does not mesh well with el latino newspaper article, a local spanish rag that sites that south LA was 60% black 10 years ago and is now 60% latino.
credits latino gangs with having driven blacks out. i dont think both of these articles present the same picture. my take is there is a major demographic move for black people from from LA to the deep south. they are being displaced by mexican people.
black population has fallen from 14 percent to 11 percent in a few short years. latin population went from 12 to 14% in a few short years.
we are witnessing huge change. there is friction and definitely violance plays a role, definiitely gangs play a role.
competition for scarce resources. this is not random violence, it has a motive and purpose.
stephen s
san diego ca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles