Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Anyway, nasty situation. Consult a lawyer, not the armchair bunch in the LA forum.
I second this. You are definitely on the line if she's not making the payments whether you have the car or not.

The loan company will repo the car if she's not making the payments and you've stopped, damaging both of your credit histories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 02:55 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,699 times
Quote:
The car is titled to the lender, no one else.
I've had a car loan and been in possession of the title (in my name) for the entire duration of the multi-year loan. I also bought a car from someone was was leasing it and the lender was holding the title until it was paid off. In both cases the lender was not listed on the title. While it's not uncommon for the lender to hold onto the title legally I do not believe they can do anything other than place a lien against the car (leases may be different.) Meaning, there's nothing stopping you from applying for a duplicate title if you legally own the vehicle. Now if you sell a car with an outstanding lien against, or forge a co-owner's signature, that can be considered fraud and result in some pretty significant legal consequences.

BTW, the loan is one contract. The payment arrangement between the OP and his ex is a separate contract. I think you're confusing the two. The bank could care less who pays the loan as long as they get all of their money.

Last edited by Dunbar42; 01-18-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I've had a car loan and been in possession of the title (in my name) for the entire duration of the multi-year loan. I also bought a car from someone was was leasing it and the lender was holding the title until it was paid off. In both cases the lender was not listed on the title. While it's not uncommon for the lender to hold onto the title legally I do not believe they can do anything other than place a lien against the car (leases may be different.) Meaning, there's nothing stopping you from applying for a duplicate title if you legally own the vehicle. Now if you sell a car with an outstanding lien against, or forge a co-owner's signature, that can be considered fraud and result in some pretty significant legal consequences.

BTW, the loan is one contract. The payment arrangement between the OP and his ex is a separate contract. I think you're confusing the two.
This is extremely uncommon, especially in CA.

I'm not confusing anything .... the OP asked if he had a leg to stand on legally. If he had an additional contract between himself and the ex, he could easily sue her to either start making the payments, or buy the car outright. You're correct in assuming that the bank doesn't care, but it would at least force her to act.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,435 times
Quote:
This is extremely uncommon, especially in CA.

I'm not confusing anything .... the OP asked if he had a leg to stand on legally. If he had an additional contract between himself and the ex, he could easily sue her to either start making the payments, or buy the car outright. You're correct in assuming that the bank doesn't care, but it would at least force her to act.
Yeah. Was there a contract between the man and woman when they bought the car? Probably not. Probably boyfriend bought the car never considering they'd break up.

Was there a contract when they broke up? Did the woman promise to make payments but not actually make them? Maybe, but you've got a probable he said/she said thing going on, unless there's an actual written contract.

OP can easily sue, but he might easily find jurisdiction challenged because woman and car are in LA. Does he want to have to appear in LA potentially to get this car back, or force her to make payments? What's the value of the car anyway?

To many what ifs here to really know. Consult an attorney continues to be the best advice.

This would make a good Judge Judy case if the value of the car is low enough though.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM

91 posts, read 500,215 times
hey guys after a long difficult day her and i came to the conclusion that i will get car back so the both of us will avoid court time. we will be signing an agreement composed by my lawyer and then i will get the car and assume all payments moving forward. life lesson learned here.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by databasegeek View Post
hey guys after a long difficult day her and i came to the conclusion that i will get car back so the both of us will avoid court time. we will be signing an agreement composed by my lawyer and then i will get the car and assume all payments moving forward. life lesson learned here.
That is great news and I'm sure a huge relief to you. Very happy to see this resolved!

Old 01-18-2013, 05:04 PM

Nice. Great outcome.

One thing to mention - definitely keep detailed records of all payments you've made on this car. You don't want there to ever be a question of who was paying and online bank records don't last forever - and online payment systems for lien holders normally lock you out after a payoff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
If he had an additional contract between himself and the ex, he could easily sue her to either start making the payments, or buy the car outright.
The OP would be within his rights to repossess the car if they had a verbal/written contract in which she agreed to make the payments. It would be hard for the ex to claim it was a gift since the OP co-signed for the loan (rather than place the loan in his name only.) The problem comes when he goes to sell the vehicle. It's much easier to get rid of the car if the ex voluntarily signs the title over to him rather than take her to small claims court across the country. And I wouldn't expect to get any money money back even if you do go to small claims court. The best you could hope for is to get the title so you could sell it.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
The OP would be within his rights to repossess the car if they had a verbal/written contract in which she agreed to make the payments. It would be hard for the ex to claim it was a gift since the OP co-signed for the loan (rather than place the loan in his name only.) The problem comes when he goes to sell the vehicle. It's much easier to get rid of the car if the ex voluntarily signs the title over to him rather than take her to small claims court across the country. And I wouldn't expect to get any money money back even if you do go to small claims court. The best you could hope for is to get the title so you could sell it.
That's just simply not true. No CA repossession agency is going to go after collateral unless instructed to by the legal owner (bank). An agreement between the two of them would need to be upheld in court (civil).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
That's just simply not true. No CA repossession agency is going to go after collateral unless instructed to by the legal owner (bank). An agreement between the two of them would need to be upheld in court (civil).
There you go again confusing contracts. Has nothing to do with the loan....The bank doesn't own the vehicle either, they have a lien against it. If the OP has an agreement (read: contract) with the ex that she make all payments he could repossess the car if she breaches it. He could actually go take it himself too and not have to hire anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles