Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,009,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
No.. Just no my friend. I HATE extremely hot weather. LA is not a desert thank god. I lived in 29 Palms, been to Arizona, Utah, and Vegas. It's like an uncomfortable blanket of heat covering your whole body and no way to take it off. Pool days? Cool. Other than that, HELLL NO!
Not to detour the conversation, but I always wondered; do people move ever from southern CA to PHX/Tucson for the drier weather? I'll admit, I don't know what 110 degree weather feels like. All I know is I'm sick of FL humidity. I want to wake up to a dry car, not with dew all over it. I do remember a particular summer in San Diego and it was probably about 90 degrees and dry, it felt good. Things had that brown look too. I figured Phoenix would just have more of that.

I think I need to do a western trip this summer, and hit both Phoenix and LA. That will probably clear up my confusion and help me make my decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:03 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,400,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Not to detour the conversation, but I always wondered; do people move ever from southern CA to PHX/Tucson for the drier weather? I'll admit, I don't know what 110 degree weather feels like. All I know is I'm sick of FL humidity. I want to wake up to a dry car, not with dew all over it. I do remember a particular summer in San Diego and it was probably about 90 degrees and dry, it felt good. Things had that brown look too. I figured Phoenix would just have more of that.

I think I need to do a western trip this summer, and hit both Phoenix and LA. That will probably clear up my confusion and help me make my decision.
If you found San Diego dry, you must have been in the east part of the city/county. San Diego has fog in the spring, summer and fall, what do you think fog is? Phoenix is truely dry, most of the So Cal regions east of the beach locations are dry but certainly none of the areas like, San Diego, near the ocean..I will also add, we have lived in So, NM, visited Phoenix many times (we have family there) spent time in Laughlin and Vegas, etc. When temps get anywhere near 100 degrees, wet or dry it is hotter than H#LL. of course So Ca isn't anywhere near as humid as Florida..

Old 01-26-2013, 09:13 AM

4 posts, read 7,174 times
Los Angels is a beautiful place, from always. It is a desert only for ignorant.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 PM

116 posts, read 376,560 times
Default To be literal!

If we are being literal, then there is nowhere in LA county is technically desert. Even Lancaster and Palmdale are not technically desert, but steppe, they receive a too much rain to be considered desert. People say LA is a desert because of the fact without irrigation we could not maintain our beautiful green lawns. I'm okay calling LA a desert, I would rather live in a dry desert than a swamp anyday. Technically LA is not desert, but if outsourced water were not introduced to this place, it would still be a very dry, sparsely vegetated plain.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,438,011 times
Just for context, this is a typical view of of the late 19th century Los Angeles basin.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:31 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,469,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I haven't really looked these past few days. I know there was snow on the mountains north of LA County when we had that cold and rainy weather earlier this month.

Mt. Baldy/Mt. San Antonio (just barely on the SB County side) always has snow around this time, though.
Actually, Mt. San Antonio is the highest point in LOS ANGELES County.

The borderline between LA County and Kern County is well north of the San Gabriel Mountains, out in what actually is desert, well north of Pearblossom and Llano.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,692,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post

Well, a few might. You always hear of the people that are recommended to move to Arizona for the clear dry air by their Dr. But I don't think it happens in great numbers.

I've lived in Phoenix and moved to Fresno (we get pretty hot here, just not as hot as Phoenix) as a child when my dad was promoted at work, so we went the other way.

I've been to Atlanta twice and have felt their humidity in spring and fall and I didn't like it. I will take the relatively dry heat of Fresno over that. I worked with a kid who went to Duke in Pasadena who chose to transfer back to Atlanta to be closer to home (NC) though. So it's just personal preference to me.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:33 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,841,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Actually, Mt. San Antonio is the highest point in LOS ANGELES County.
Cool-thanks for the info.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:17 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,844,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Another thing people mistake is agricultural import of water versus municipal. Because of its proximity to San Bernardino mountain snow, the Inland Empire's municipal water supply is local. The Riverside water district imports only up to about 3% of its water supply when necessary. Of all SoCal its ironically the "desert" residents who aren't "stealing" anyone's water.
Excellent point. Same thing goes for Fontana water.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:30 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,692,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Just for context, this is a typical view of of the late 19th century Los Angeles basin.
That's interesting. Do you have the same view as it is now by any chance?

I'm curious where exactly that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles