Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
I might be in the minority, BMW/Mercedes are nice cars, but not really "luxury" either.

Most anyone who tries hard enough can find a mid-range BMW or Mercedes from 2007-2009 that looks almost the same as the new model with over 50k miles for under $20k.

The other thing about those brands, they don't make many flashy sports cars either. Dallas TX still takes the cake when it comes to seeing Porsche 911's.

There actually seem be more of these entry luxury (BMW/Mercedes/Audi) in any better part of LA and super-high end luxury in Beverly Hills/SM (Rolls Royce/Bentley), but not as many flashy sports cars as I expected overall.
Nope, you're not the minority. I think the same way. But I wouldn't say I don't see that many flashy cars, I see so much I don't see them anymore. However, it's all in perspective, I was in Monaco two falls ago and those fools in Monte Carlo make LA look like a bunch of pansies. I didn't see one car under a house note there. LOL, so it's all about perspective. But I'm with you, "Lex Coupes, Beamers and the Benz..." (points to whoever can tell me where that's from without looking it up) are just nice cars, I'm not highly impressed by them (anymore--I'm from midwest, we didn't see them that often).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I'm in my early 30's and i still wear dunks, airforce 1's, jays and sport lots of colorful jackets...probably will until I'm dead. LOL. Maybe yall describing me but without the surfer feel. Haha!
Is it really easy to overdress in LA? Because anywhere I've been shorts has always looked way too casual and lazy.

I didn't really take an inventory of how the style was in LA, but I've always been a shirt-and-jeans guy through and through, but it in a nice neat style.

Isn't that just as common as shorts and flip flops?

Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Is it really easy to overdress in LA? Because anywhere I've been shorts has always looked way too casual and lazy.

I didn't really take an inventory of how the style was in LA, but I've always been a shirt-and-jeans guy through and through, but it in a nice neat style.

In general, you'll see a lot of shorts and flip flops and tshirts and jeans but a lot of people (like me) love sneakers, jackets, sweaters and etcs. LA's weather is so moderate that even in the summer by 3pm it's relatively cool enough to wear a jacket and you'll see that. So, I'd say you'd see a great mix but you won't feel like you're over/underdoing it. People just accept people's swag out here. I'm usually pretty tshirt, jeans and a hat but sometimes a throw a little swaggy in it.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
PDF

Quote:
In general, you'll see a lot of shorts and flip flops and tshirts and jeans but a lot of people (like me) love sneakers, jackets, sweaters and etcs. LA's weather is so moderate that even in the summer by 3pm it's relatively cool enough to wear a jacket and you'll see that. So, I'd say you'd see a great mix but you won't feel like you're over/underdoing it. People just accept people's swag out here. I'm usually pretty tshirt, jeans and a hat but sometimes a throw a little swaggy in it.
Here in Florida most people are in a crappy shirt and shorts, and to me that just screams that you don't care about how you look. I guess very "American" if you will. I'm the crazy one wearing jeans here all the time even if it's hot out.

I don't know, I'm used to NYC or something where you're supposed to look your best everytime you go out. I certainly don't dress upscale, but I always make sure I'm neat and presentable.

But I suppose when you have these warm weather cities, its OK to go out in whatever.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Here in Florida most people are in a crappy shirt and shorts, and to me that just screams that you don't care about how you look. I guess very "American" if you will. I'm the crazy one wearing jeans here all the time even if it's hot out.

I don't know, I'm used to NYC or something where you're supposed to look your best everytime you go out. I certainly don't dress upscale, but I always make sure I'm neat and presentable.

But I suppose when you have these warm weather cities, its OK to go out in whatever.
Yeah in NYC people do the most! I noticed that. My wife, who is really into fashion, loves that about NYC. I don't really like shorts so I wear jeans in summer too but I'd say LA is more chill than NY.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM
PDF

Quote:
Yeah in NYC people do the most! I noticed that. My wife, who is really into fashion, loves that about NYC. I don't really like shorts so I wear jeans in summer too but I'd say LA is more chill than NY.
I've spent extensive time in NYC the past few years. When I was in LA over the summer, I was actually worried about being under-dressed. But apparently I just fit right in.

Good to know.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times
Quote:

The general style in this area is California casual. Flip Flops, shorts, jeans, chuck taylors, vans, dickies, tartan shirts, fedora hats. It gives off a laid back type of look.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Transplants trying to live "the life." Fake people in general.

Just obnoxious people. There just happens to be a lot more of them in the city, because it's the city.

I've come across more overheard "private screenwriting" sessions, than I'd like to count.

I only hate hipsters when they're doing stupid stuff. Like blasting through red lights on their fixies.

That's about it really, I don't really hate on stuff that much though. I'm pretty comfortable with who I am, I'm out of the city, so yeah, I don't really pay mind to all that anymore.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 PM

I only dislike "hipsters" if they do something that I find annoying and rude. I don't just see some dude at a restaurant (or wherever) and start hating him because i think he's a hipster.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,082 times
Beligerent homeless people on the redline. If I'm ever arrested, it will be because I stabbed one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles