Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:54 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times

Advertisements

I remember walking down Los Feliz, I think on Vermont. There was alot of hipsters.

There was one guy with a neckbeard, thick glasses, in a tight shirt and skinny jeans and sandles walking his small dog. Me being a latino with a somewhat dark complexion, wearing a hooded sweater and regular pants, the dude just kept looking back at me. Like he was expecting to be mugged. He makes a quick turn on the next street.

Thought it was pretty funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,003 times
East coast transplants that start a'hatin' the second they move here.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
East coast transplants that start a'hatin' the second they move here.
"Back home we (insert how they do **** back home here)"

Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
People who drive their nice Audi A6s and Bmws but ruin them with loud ugly sounding mufflers, giant hideous rims and who showoff driving fast and switching lanes on city streets.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
People who drive their nice Audi A6s and Bmws but ruin them with loud ugly sounding mufflers, giant hideous rims and who showoff driving fast and switching lanes on city streets.
Small **** syndrome.

I see it every so often up here in the Bay Area, too. What's more hilarious is that some women actually like this type of "bad boy." I mean, you have to look "cool" with your man, right?!

Last edited by Count David; 02-02-2013 at 01:29 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Well there are threads about people that hate LA but what about a thread of people you dislike that live in LA?

The city is so huge that you cannot hate everyone but I bet there are a few that irk you a lot. For example I personally cannot stand the yuppie/yipster types that are almost everywhere in LA. I work near Burbank and go out to lunch there all the time and in line there are always two yuppie as hell guys raving on about their new dog or something completely meaningless. I mean their conversations are usually very vapid and it makes me think they're so insular on a level that makes non-natives think of the typical LA stereotype.

I mean it's more annoying that watching conversing with two middle aged surburban southern ladies who just talk about the stuff they buy.

Whenever I would watch shows like The New Girl or Glee, I'd always wonder who the hell are these people supposed to represent. I never knew anyone like them growing up. I come out to LA and I am floored at how life is immitating art (or vice versa?). Yipsters, yuppies, cool nerds, and more.

That's one take. Anyone have their takes?
Of course we haven't lived there in years so I am a bit outdated in my views: we do visit every year or so: I don't think there is any one type of person I really hate in Los Angeles. I have trouble with people who are so blinded and loyal to Ca that they can't see any problems what-so-ever with the state or the city. I have problems with anyone who thinks they are owed something or live off the government, but that isn't just people in So Ca for sure. They are everywhere. I don't even hate the So Ca drivers, I just hate the way they drive. Maybe I have the most problems with the condesending, elitest people but I think you see more of that in No California, like in the San Francisco area...

Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 AM

502 posts, read 717,627 times
Quote:
Very true. I don't know if these people are just a product of bad tv and movies or what? They just seem to come here with some attitude like they have to behave and act the part of what they think LA is supposed to be. Mostly that image comes straight from the movies as they act and behave a lot like the insufferable characters in the movies they love.

I wouldn't mind liking all the quirkiness, the aloofness or the carefree almost insufferable attitude if was accompanied by a nice open minded personality but sometimes it's not. It's accompanied by ridiculous snobbery that only works in stupid youtube comedy sketches. I am talking about stuff like oh I don't shop or go past La Brea or you actually like this or that or who goes there? I am talking mindless chatter about the most ridiculous things; "ew, why would you go to Utah"?

Walk into a Whole Foods Market on Coldwater in Sherman Oaks and you will know what I mean. It's not so bad but there some in there that you just think how could anyone take them serious?
Haha! I'm familiar with that Whole Foods, and I've had more than a few "industry" types give me that attitude.

"So why are you in L.A. if you aren't out here to do acting like the rest of us?"

"Your girlfriend lives in Azusa, who lives out there?! That's like a different country out there!"

Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,133 times
To sum it up in three words:: any pretentous people.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Very true. I don't know if these people are just a product of bad tv and movies or what? They just seem to come here with some attitude like they have to behave and act the part of what they think LA is supposed to be. Mostly that image comes straight from the movies as they act and behave a lot like the insufferable characters in the movies they love.

I wouldn't mind liking all the quirkiness, the aloofness or the carefree almost insufferable attitude if was accompanied by a nice open minded personality but sometimes it's not. It's accompanied by ridiculous snobbery that only works in stupid youtube comedy sketches. I am talking about stuff like oh I don't shop or go past La Brea or you actually like this or that or who goes there? I am talking mindless chatter about the most ridiculous things; "ew, why would you go to Utah"?

Walk into a Whole Foods Market on Coldwater in Sherman Oaks and you will know what I mean. It's not so bad but there some in there that you just think how could anyone take them serious?
Agreed, but don't you think this attitude might be a little stronger in highly centralized cities? In my opinion it is. Sure, you have your LA residents that stick to their little corner of the city, but the way greater LA/SoCal is laid out, at some point or another you will over time see different parts of the city or region, because things are very spread out.

I would say Manhattan being an island is MUCH, MUCH worse in this regard. Because you would NEVER have to leave, many don't have a car, etc.
In Chicago, young single, adults pretty much stick to three or four neighborhoods where they clearly make up the overwhelming majority. And then outside the Lakeview-Lincoln Park-Wicker Park cluster, dating, etc. is very tough. Even your hometown of Houston, I would think would be an area where inner loopers, wouldn't go out past the second belt-way if they were paid to, because theres nothing to see for them probably, and its very conservative, etc. I could go on.

But for whatever faults LA has, I would say that because no one corner of greater LA has everything, and every part of greater LA (from Santa Monica to Hollywood to the valley to downtown) and Southern California has something to see (Big Bear, Palm Springs, Disneyland, Pasadena, Long Beach, Santa Barbara, etc.) the % of people with that attitude is less because I think it would simply be hard to enjoy the area, if one DID just stick to their corner. Whereas in Chicago one loves Chicago because they DO stick to the one corner of the city where its all at.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
To sum it up in three words:: any pretentous people.
Pretty much, but damn how could it be that most of the types I run into like this are transplants while the majority of the LA natives are generally friendly? I just think it has a lot to do with people immitating the movies they love to watch.

I know this is true because I have a friend who is dying, I mean dying to live a life that resembles the insufferable rude bastards on tv and movies: Mad Men, James Bond, Clive Owen, Jude Law, House MD, etc. If he had his way he would move to LA or NY, nice apartment and just be a cocky jerk thinking that is what people respect.

But that crap ONLY works in the movies. In real life it looks ridiculous! Maybe it worked while the economy was booming and there was this fascination and reverence for socialites, moguls, royalty and bankers in the early 2000s before the crash but now I doubt people have time or the patience to deal with that level of pretentiousness again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles