Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 07:40 AM

10 posts, read 85,657 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband, myself, our son, and our three dogs all live in Seattle/Tacoma, WA and we want to move to CA. We want to get away from the rain and go where its nice and warm. We have searched the web for nice places to live in CA and we have narrowed it down to five cities and they are: 1) Pasadena 2) Glendale 3) Long Beach 4) Burbank or 5) Anaheim. We know very little about these cities and need your help/suggestions/advice on where we should live. Please help. Thanks.

Pasadena, Burbank, Glendale, Long Beach, and Anaheim Questions:
1) What are the pro's and con's of each city?
2) What city is more diverse? My husband is black and I am white.
3) What city has less crime?
4) What city has less traffic?
5) What city offers more sq ft for your money? We are looking to buy a house...NOT a condo or townhouse....we have three dogs and need a house. We can afford up to $600,000 for a home.
6) What city has more to do (shopping, entertainment, going out, having fun, etc.)?
7) What city is more "dog-friendly"? We have three dogs, so this is very important to us.
8) Is North Madison Ave in Pasadena in a good neighborhood?
9) Is Worcester Ave in Pasadena in a good neighborhood?
10) Can you tell us what areas/streets in each city we should be looking to buy a house (low crime, nice area, etc.)? We can afford up to $600,000 for a home. We like modern/contemp styles, but we also really like the old Spanish houses as well.
11) What city would be closest to and/or a easier commute to the University? My son will transfer down to the CA University from the University of WA.
12) What city has more jobs to offer?
13) How often do you guys get earthquakes? When was the last one? Do most people that own homes have earthquake insurance?

Here's some information about us:
We are both 38 years old and our son just turned 18 years old. Our son started college at the University of WA in Sept. We are a young, hip, and very fun family. We are looking to move to a city that is some what laid-back (but very fun), there needs to have things to do and places to go when we are bored, not too crowded, very nice and safe neighborhood with low crime, diverse group of people, and houses that are around $600,000 or under. We are looking to move there in about 6-8 months. We like both the mountains and the ocean so either places we would be happy.

Please let us know which city (Glendale, Pasadena, Long Beach, Anaheim, or Burbank) is better for us based on the information I gave you above. Thank you in advance for all your help. We REALLY appreciate it. Thanks so much, Misty & Shane

Last edited by chanel1202; 10-20-2007 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Added Another City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 10:09 AM

16 posts, read 27,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanel1202 View Post
Hello,

My husband, myself, our son, and our three dogs all live in Seattle/Tacoma, WA and we want to move to CA. We want to get away from the rain and go where its nice and warm. We have searched the web for nice places to live in CA and we have narrowed it down to five cities and they are: 1) Pasadena 2) Glendale 3) Long Beach 4) Burbank or 5) Anaheim. We know very little about these cities and need your help/suggestions/advice on where we should live. Please help. Thanks.

Pasadena, Burbank, Glendale, Long Beach, and Anaheim Questions:
1) What are the pro's and con's of each city?
2) What city is more diverse? My husband is black and I am white.
3) What city has less crime?
4) What city has less traffic?
5) What city offers more sq ft for your money? We are looking to buy a house...NOT a condo or townhouse....we have three dogs and need a house. We can afford up to $600,000 for a home.
6) What city has more to do (shopping, entertainment, going out, having fun, etc.)?
7) What city is more "dog-friendly"? We have three dogs, so this is very important to us.
8) Is North Madison Ave in Pasadena in a good neighborhood?
9) Is Worcester Ave in Pasadena in a good neighborhood?
10) Can you tell us what areas/streets in each city we should be looking to buy a house (low crime, nice area, etc.)? We can afford up to $600,000 for a home. We like modern/contemp styles, but we also really like the old Spanish houses as well.
11) What city would be closest to and/or a easier commute to the University? My son will transfer down to the CA University from the University of WA.
12) What city has more jobs to offer?
13) How often do you guys get earthquakes? When was the last one? Do most people that own homes have earthquake insurance?

Here's some information about us:
We are both 38 years old and our son just turned 18 years old. Our son started college at the University of WA in Sept. We are a young, hip, and very fun family. We are looking to move to a city that is some what laid-back (but very fun), there needs to have things to do and places to go when we are bored, not too crowded, very nice and safe neighborhood with low crime, diverse group of people, and houses that are around $600,000 or under. We are looking to move there in about 6-8 months. We like both the mountains and the ocean so either places we would be happy.

Please let us know which city (Glendale, Pasadena, Long Beach, Anaheim, or Burbank) is better for us based on the information I gave you above. Thank you in advance for all your help. We REALLY appreciate it. Thanks so much, Misty & Shane

wow ! its good you want so much information before you move !
You are sure doing your "home"work LOL !
All I can do is give my opinion of what I know !
I grew up in Glendale and at the time it was a great city, but now
its wayyyy too crazy and crowded ! Traffic is horrible but since I grew
up there, I know the backroads to take to avoid it .
Burbank is an awesome city ! So much to see and do ! I dont know
of many "cons" of Burbank ... there is some traffic that might be it .
I dont know very much about Pasadena ... I don't go over there very
often, but it is a very nice city . They are re-modeling "old town pasadena"
and it's a hip new town again like it was when my mom lived there.
Dont know about either Long Beach or Anaheim though . Only been
to Anaheim to go to Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm LOL ! And
Long Beach to go to the Queen Mary ...

For diversity, you can go to either of the cities I am talking about.
Burbank and Pasadena are the best for shopping and nightlife.
I would say for "dog friendly" , my vote is with Burbank . Lots of parks
and fun for them too ...

Prices of homes are way up... if you cant find one in your price
range, there are TONS of repos and foreclosures now ... check with
a local realtor you may be able to save some $ by getting a repo !
or check out REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale and type in the city you want to look
at ... it's a good start !
Earthquakes !! man, i had a dream last night that we had one ...
we are certainly due for one that's for sure ! Our last one was
January 17, 1994 ! Here is a cool website to check out earthquakes
all around the world : USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Map Centered at 34°N, 118°W

I hope I have been of some help to you ! Good Luck !!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:10 AM

916 posts, read 3,685,313 times
I like Long Beach. It's a big city that feels smaller because it is a collection of very different neighborhoods. Check out Belmont Shore, Naples, the Peninsula, or Belmont Heights for safe, coastal neighborhoods. They are all walkable to shops, eateries, etc. Fun, relaxed, trendy,atmoshpere that is great for singles and families. Since your from Seattle I would compare it to Queen Anne, Madison Park, etc. Be prepared to pay over $1m for a 3 BR starter home. To rent you're probably looking at about 2,000 per month. LB is nice because is central to LA and OC for commuting if that is a concern.

You may also look at Downtown Long Beach as long as you stay by the coast. A bit more diverse but higher energy level. I would compare this to Belltown, Capitol Hill, or Pioneer Square in Seattle.

LB has some bad areas in the North and Central areas. As long as you live in the areas I mentioned you'll never experience that. They really are like different cities.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Karma View Post
wow ! its good you want so much information before you move !
You are sure doing your "home"work LOL !
All I can do is give my opinion of what I know !
I grew up in Glendale and at the time it was a great city, but now
its wayyyy too crazy and crowded ! Traffic is horrible but since I grew
up there, I know the backroads to take to avoid it .
Burbank is an awesome city ! So much to see and do ! I dont know
of many "cons" of Burbank ... there is some traffic that might be it .
I dont know very much about Pasadena ... I don't go over there very
often, but it is a very nice city . They are re-modeling "old town pasadena"
and it's a hip new town again like it was when my mom lived there.
Dont know about either Long Beach or Anaheim though . Only been
to Anaheim to go to Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm LOL ! And
Long Beach to go to the Queen Mary ...

For diversity, you can go to either of the cities I am talking about.
Burbank and Pasadena are the best for shopping and nightlife.
I would say for "dog friendly" , my vote is with Burbank . Lots of parks
and fun for them too ...

Prices of homes are way up... if you cant find one in your price
range, there are TONS of repos and foreclosures now ... check with
a local realtor you may be able to save some $ by getting a repo !
or check out REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale and type in the city you want to look
at ... it's a good start !
Earthquakes !! man, i had a dream last night that we had one ...
we are certainly due for one that's for sure ! Our last one was
January 17, 1994 ! Here is a cool website to check out earthquakes
all around the world : USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Map Centered at 34°N, 118°W

I hope I have been of some help to you ! Good Luck !!
Thank you for your suggestions/advice. I REALLY appreciate your time. Thanks, Misty

Old 10-20-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
I like Long Beach. It's a big city that feels smaller because it is a collection of very different neighborhoods. Check out Belmont Shore, Naples, the Peninsula, or Belmont Heights for safe, coastal neighborhoods. They are all walkable to shops, eateries, etc. Fun, relaxed, trendy,atmoshpere that is great for singles and families. Since your from Seattle I would compare it to Queen Anne, Madison Park, etc. Be prepared to pay over $1m for a 3 BR starter home. To rent you're probably looking at about 2,000 per month. LB is nice because is central to LA and OC for commuting if that is a concern.

You may also look at Downtown Long Beach as long as you stay by the coast. A bit more diverse but higher energy level. I would compare this to Belltown, Capitol Hill, or Pioneer Square in Seattle.

LB has some bad areas in the North and Central areas. As long as you live in the areas I mentioned you'll never experience that. They really are like different cities.
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I REALLY appreciate it. I also heard that Ocean Blvd., Plaza District, Alamitos Heights, and East Long Beach are all nice and safe places to live in Long Beach. What are your thoughts on those places? I was also told to stay in the following zip codes when living in LB....90802, 90803, 90804, 90808, 90814...what are your thoughts on these zip code areas? Let me know. Thanks again. Misty & Shane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles