Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 02:17 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Pismo is a dope area btw, I need to vacay up there.
I heartily recommend that. Take in Cambria, SLO, Morro Bay, the whole shmear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 06:07 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Agreed. Although, sometimes making it in a place that's hard to live because of things such as cost of living is an accomplishment if you come from somewhere bland. But to consider yourself better than others because of that...so annoying.
So basically you've gone from SFers hate LA to SFers feel superior to LA. I guess that's a nice transition to a more factual based opinion.

Now regarding SF's elitism, it's not as simple as just "we made here in SF and you didn't, ha ha." You have to remember that from pretty much the beginning of the 20th century to present, SF is the place for people to fall head over heels in love with a city. LA is a love it or hate it place, SF is a love it or love it more place - if you don't love SF there's something wrong with you. There are people whose dream is to live in SF, who made moving to SF their life-long goals. People write songs about falling in love with SF. People in SF hears about how awesome SF is from outsiders constantly. So it takes a very level headed person in SF to not to get a big head over it. Many people bought into the hype and truly believe SF is second to none.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
So basically you've gone from SFers hate LA to SFers feel superior to LA. I guess that's a nice transition to a more factual based opinion.

Now regarding SF's elitism, it's not as simple as just "we made here in SF and you didn't, ha ha." You have to remember that from pretty much the beginning of the 20th century to present, SF is the place for people to fall head over heels in love with a city. LA is a love it or hate it place, SF is a love it or love it more place - if you don't love SF there's something wrong with you. There are people whose dream is to live in SF, who made moving to SF their life-long goals. People write songs about falling in love with SF. People in SF hears about how awesome SF is from outsiders constantly. So it takes a very level headed person in SF to not to get a big head over it. Many people bought into the hype and truly believe SF is second to none.
Just let it go, yo LET. IT. GO! We get it and we get you.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
A brief (hopefully) deviation from the SF v. LA thing:

I was also in Orange Co. yesterday, a place I've also been to several times. Yeah, north county is less snobby than south county, but you could make the same general parallel for west side versus east side in L.A. County. Agree or no? Orange Co. really seems like it would be a good place to live (as long as you don't mind suburbia).

Also, I've only been to San Diego once. But, while being laid back for a city its size, the people there didn't really seem very warm or friendly. In fact, they kind of reminded me of San Franciscans (not as snooty, but still closed off). This really surprised me. Did I just visit during a bad time?
No, San Diego is always like that.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,639,000 times
Quote:

Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post

Obviously, it's not me who is expounding those sentiment. Enjoy:

I Left My Heart In San Francisco (composed in 1954 by Douglass Cross & George Cory) - Tony Bennett - YouTube

Old 02-27-2013, 05:35 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Weird, in my 9 years living there I never had that problem or really experienced that.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
So it takes a very level headed person in SF to not to get a big head over it. Many people bought into the hype and truly believe SF is second to none.
I guess that just speaks volumes of how few level-headed and grounded people there are in SF sadly.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Went to Sacramento today for a job interview, spent the day up there. Not a particularly friendly area, but I've been there before, also. Think Bay Area but with more rednecks. I would like the job and probably even the people I'd work with, but probably not the area, so methinks I'll turn down an offer if I get one. Kind of a shame because it actually is a pretty nice city and the only major city in California where the middle class can live reasonably.

Meanwhile, I now have graduate school admission offers from USC and UC-Irvine. Two very great universities.

Folks, I'm beginning to think the writing is on the wall for me.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Well, that's kind of a bummer. I really have met very few people from SD, within or outside of it, that were friendly.

Then again, I've only been once and like to keep an open mind, so I'm always open to changing my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles