Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Being raised in the Los Angeles area and having lived in some of the places mentioned, I disagree with the last poster. I do not think Pasadena would be a good choice at all, not with 3 small children. First consentrate on Glendale itself; it is a great city and your hubby wouldn't have the commute problems, you might also look into La Cresenta and Burbank. So Pasadena is one of the nicest family friendly towns in So Ca but I don't think your budget will be able to handle the rents there. In fact you might have a little problem finding what you want for $2500

I was talking to my niece yesterday. She lives in Granada Hills which isn't that desirable and has 1350 sq feet. The houses are renting for just under $3000 a month. The reason she mentioned this, she is about to inherit some money and says she will pay her house off and turn it into a rental.

if you decide to look at Pasadena, stay either north of the 210 freeway and in the eastern part of the city or the San Rafeal Hills area, bodering Eagle Rock

These are just my thoughts, enjoy your new adventure, it will be that, for sure: an adventure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 AM

218 posts, read 362,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
It sounds to me that you really should consider Glendale itself to live, at least at first because the drive won't be an issue and you can get your bearings. There are some nice areas in Glendale. Burbank is adjacent to Glendale so the drive should be easy, even by streets avoiding the freeways. Since you are truly new to the area don't know anyone, make it easy on yourself and don't go beyond the Glendale/Burbank area. One needs to EASE into the work commute traffic around here. After living in Glendale/Burbank for a while, your husband will have a much better idea of what kind of drive he can endure if you all want to move, that is. Hey, at least Glendale has the Americana at Brand for killing boredom. Your hubby doesn't need to be a 45 minute drive from work at first getting here.

I agree with HarryKerryJr. I am moving to LA this summer from DC and I also have family in Oxford, MS and all throughout the south and I would suggest living in Glendale and give yourself time to adjust and visit other areas once you get settled. I visited LA for 6 weeks last summer with my 12 y/o daughter and got to drive around Glendale. I think it's a good place to start for you and your family. Also, while hubby is at work you and the kids can go exploring, pick him up from work (if you only have 1 car) and have plenty to share with him about your day.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Technically, Santa Clarita is its own valley, the Santa Clarita Valley and it is separated from the Antelope Valley by the Sierra Pelona mountains...but you are correct that it shares a similar climate to the Antelope Valley although Santa Clarita is more chaparral and gets more marine influence from Ventura and Fillmore. The Antelope Valley is, in fact, part of the Mojave Desert and has a similar climate to Las Vegas, NV. You can grow Birds of Paradise flowers in Santa Clarita but they will not grow outside in the Antelope Valley.

Granada Hills is OK, but honestly, you might as well drive north another 10 minutes on I-5 and be in Santa Clarita since that's where you're drawn to. I agree with you about Santa Clarita being a nice community. It is! It's very suburban, bucolic and lots of families, nice wide streets and well-planned communities such as Valencia and Stevenson Ranch.
Thanks for the clarification on the Antelope Valley issue. I wasn't sure and it all kind of runs together (or seems to if you're on the 14). Didn't know that about Bird of Paradise - very interesting.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 AM

19 posts, read 32,027 times
Thanks everyone!

What about Monrovia, near Foothill Fwy? Yay or nay?
Chatsworth?

Last edited by hilaree320; 02-01-2013 at 12:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles