Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:18 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
I live in LA, and I manage to have a situation where I don't struggle too much thankfully. Let's hope it lasts.

But I used to live in London. I loved that town so stinking much, but, I couldn't take, as you say "the struggle and brokeness". It was so expensive, and life without money in London was so different than life with money. It was such an "outside looking in" experience that I ultimately just had to give up.

And I know for a lot of people here, my outsider experience in London is their experience here.

I hope your friend can 'get over the hump' and make it here. If you can make a livable wage, this town is so nice.
You definitely need a side hustle in LA to be somewhat "comfortable". There are more contractors living in that city than anywhere else, because getting a regular JOB with a liveable wage is difficult.

I can see him building a new clientele and meeting the "right" people this time as he still has friends there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 04:20 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You don't? Isn't that exactly what was going on when you were into that LA-NYC debate on here the other week? Or am I wrong?
Doh! And here I was working on getting Marilyn to move back to LA and you have to go and point that out.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
You don't? Isn't that exactly what was going on when you were into that LA-NYC debate on here the other week? Or am I wrong?
Man, get over it. Jeez.

It wasn't all sunshine and freaking rainbows living there. You want me to LIE and say it was a 100% wonderful experience?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:23 PM

184 posts, read 353,584 times
Yeah that is true.

There is this big myth that L.A people get paid so much more than other places..but for the average job (and most people ARE average) that's simply not true..and if it is more it's not enough to rent (and especially not BUY)a place in a DECENT area.

Just doesn't seem worth it for the average person unless they are going for something entertainment/creative industry related like your friend.

It seems hardly anyone moves from somewhere else to L.A just because they like the weather and are going to work a "regular" 9-5 desk job...it seems it's always because they want to pursue something film/industry related.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bophisto View Post
LOL that is funny! GF and I were in NYC a few months back and she said "I thought NYC people were attractive" ..because of her image of NYC from movies,,etc

in L.A ...it's not unusual that the people on the STREET are more attractive even than those in the movies or tv.
LA, hands down has the most attractive people anywhere. I'd say most of Southern Cali.

When the Million Matchmaker had her NYC version a couple of years ago, you could tell the difference quite easily in the women and men that signed up. No, they're not as attractive as LA and probably a few other cities, that's for sure.

They have fat cops on the street. Like seriously?? FAT POLICE OFFICERS!!

I never saw a fat LA cop. NOT FREAKING ONCE.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Man, get over it. Jeez.

It wasn't all sunshine and freaking rainbows living there. You want me to LIE and say it was a 100% wonderful experience?
Well, no. But you were really bitter when arguing against LA and were unwilling to see the light when other members on here presented a valid argument/debate.

Just saying.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Doh! And here I was working on getting Marilyn to move back to LA and you have to go and point that out.
LOL! Oh man, when he told me he got a place already and told me that he has room if I want to stay with him (he's like my brother from another mother) my heart skipped a beat! LOL!!

But I got a "grip" on myself and said "Not now. You don't have enough money, yet."

I don't want to live in NYC either, but I "may" stop and visit him before I make my move to the REAL place I want to live.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Well, no. But you were really bitter when arguing against LA and were unwilling to see the light when other members on here presented a valid argument/debate.

Just saying.
True, true.

And I also kept saying repeatedly how I loved the "attitude" of LA and wished it was something that could spread to other cities and states.

I'm not gonna lie, I hated LA the first couple of years I moved there, because I could not get into the "culture" of the city. People were content to just be "content". I can't explain it. You have to come from a fast-paced city to understand what I'm talking about.

If I ever move back to LA to "live", then I will do just like my friend and others and have SIDE GIGS, but it has to be something I know can make money there or at least something I may need to travel for.

I will never, ever try to get decent paying employment there again. I learned my lesson.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:01 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Where is the REAL place that you want to live...just curious.

I am also seriously considering moving out...I like South Florida a lot ..you can actually live on the beach for a reasonable amount of money ...the culture is truly laid back and there isn't all the Hollywood bull****...plus NO state income tax and a lot lower cost of living in general. It's also much much cleaner as well.

But the food scene definitely isn't as great ...which is probably the big thing I would miss...it does seem to be getting better though.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:01 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I will never, ever try to get decent paying employment there again. I learned my lesson.
Marilyn I am shocked. Don't do the indecent.

Surely there is an attorney somewhere in the southland that would hire a hard working Marilyn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles