Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family of three moving from Philly to Los Angeles; looking for home with budget of 200k to 350k, husband does not mind commuting to work,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 17,449 times

Advertisements

Hi all... Love reading your thoughtful replies!

We are moving to Los Angeles from Philadelphia. My husband will be working in West LA. We would like to buy a house around $200K to $350K for 2 adults and 1+ child. He doesn't mind a commute...

Also... are all of the highways basically gridlock? We drive a lot to NYC and Philadelphia... NJ Turnpike and all... is it worse than that? Would it be better to live North, East or South?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 05:13 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
You're kidding, right? Perhaps you should look in the rentals on Craig's List.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 17,449 times
Okay... that was of no help.

Are there any suburbs that are worth commuting from?

Old 10-21-2007, 06:02 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
OK. Fine. Go live in Barstow and commute in. You should be able to find a house in your budget out there.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:47 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,973 times
We would ALL love to find a house in that price range commuting distance to West LA. The problem is IF you could find something it wouldn't be the kind of place you would want a child to be. Sorry, that is just the way prices are out here. Maybe you can get something in Lancaster? The drive will be a nightmare though.
I don't know how traffic is back there but I would say, unless he can work flex time then, yes, it will be gridlock.
I know that isn't much help but it is what we deal with.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
You may be able to find a tiny 2bed condo, but nothing else.

This is probably the best you'll get in West LA.
REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

In the San Fernando Valley

Safer area, nicer homes, even single family homes, but very from LA. If you would consider sacrificing a shorter commute for better and safer housing, the Santa Clarita/Newhall is an area to definitely look into.
My Favorite
You get the idea of Santa Clarita/Newhall-very new, quite cheap by SoCal standards.

San Gabriel Valley-closer than Newhall, farther than SFV. Safer in some areas, not so safe in others.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
I personally don't think you will find anything in that price range

Old 10-21-2007, 09:26 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
I just showed several. LOL.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:12 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey77 View Post
Hi all... Love reading your thoughtful replies!

We are moving to Los Angeles from Philadelphia. My husband will be working in West LA. We would like to buy a house around $200K to $350K for 2 adults and 1+ child. He doesn't mind a commute...

Also... are all of the highways basically gridlock? We drive a lot to NYC and Philadelphia... NJ Turnpike and all... is it worse than that? Would it be better to live North, East or South?

Thank you in advance!
Hi,

If your going to be in the $200-350 range, I would suggest you check Apartment and condos rentals. You should be able to rent either type well within your budget range right in West Los Angeles.

Save the difference, get to know the areas, and see what happens with the housing market next year as there may be more activity and a bigger supply to choose from. You also have a much better chance of sending your kid to public school in west LA, rather than having to pay for private in the more affordable suburbs with cheap housing.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:44 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,591 times
I agree with the previous post. It would be insane to buy a place in that price range at the moment, when a huge number of properties are currently in foreclosure and will soon hit the market. Nobody knows for sure what will happen but the betting is that things will become very ugly indeed at that price point. There are some stories about rents going up but I'm not sure I believe them. Or at least I'm not sure rents will continue to rise. Rents are linked to jobs, and unemployment is rising at the moment.

Are the freeways as bad as NJ / NY? I'm not an expert on the latter, but my impression is not. The real problem with LA traffic is not the slowness of the roads (I'm from Britain, and as far as I'm concerned Angelenos don't know what real gridlock is like) but the distances that people try to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles