Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:54 PM

458 posts, read 2,774,734 times

Advertisements

This is really sad to hear about. From what I'm seeing on the news it seems like the Santa Ana winds are not helping at all. Let's all hope that the winds will calm down and they can get these fires under control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 02:54 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
So sorry about the fires friends

We are in NC with our own drought and severe dryness, but no
fires thankfully. And again, so sorry to hear this is happening over there.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:16 PM

142 posts, read 754,628 times
Very, very sad to watch the news with the fires in San Diego and Malibu. My thoughts for everyone there.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 17,573 times
We have fires here almost every other year. I live here near the beach and would never consider moving near dry mountains or canyons. (as beautiful as they are) If the santa anas are blowing, expect the fire to move faster than an automobile on the 405 during lite traffic hours.
Right now the fires seem fewer and far between. I just check out the fire map to find out exactly where they are located, which streets are closed, and size of fires.

If anyone is worried about a loved one or an area of concern please go to the map, just google it. Sorry I do not have the link. The majority of LA is not on fire or in any danger of becoming so.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:38 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I live in Southern California. There are currently 11 major fires burning. The closest fire is about 25 miles from me. The air is choking and the cars all covered in ash. Several friends had to evacuate, actually run with their babies and animals. And to think, some jerk started one of the fires on purpose.
there are 17 now, i just heard. this is going to get a lot worse before it's done.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:27 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,664 times
I'm watching the news right now. They are saying that we don't have enough resources to fight all these fires. They have to let some things burn in order to save others.

Malibu, San Diego, Lake Arrowhead, Canyon Country, Agua Dulce, Irvine area & others ... lots of homes being damaged or destroyed. Its so sad...

I live in S. California and I have started to gather our 'important' papers, photos, etc just in case something starts or spreads into our area.

Prayers to all who are affected by these horrible fires. I also send my prayers to the fire fighters, police, etc. who are trying to keep people safe & get these fires out!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:43 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
SoCalMomma, I bet you can see the fires from where you are in T.O.?
This is so sad. I hope they get these fires under control soon. My prayers are with you guys!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:43 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
those of you who live near an engine company responding to one of these fires, please consider purchasing a few cases of bottled water and perhaps some granola snacks and delivering them to your local fire station. the firefighters get very hot and thirsty on the line for hours without relief. having a few bottles of water and a healthy snack in their pockets is a great help to them. this is what a former fireman told me when i asked what i could do to help during the last bad fire season, and the guys at the fire station where i made a delivery were very grateful.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:56 PM

137 posts, read 818,503 times
God bless you all, my heart goes out to all of you. Born and raised in So. Cal. myself, I'm sitting here after midnight in the UK watching everything on fox news......just makes me sick, and don't remember when I've seen the fires this bad. God bless the firefighters....they've got a tough road ahead. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:05 PM

253 posts, read 1,106,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
So using your logic, people living in the Tornado Alley states (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota) should not receive any help because of the location of their homes. Nor should residents of Florida receive any assistance when they are hit with hurricanes. And the people who were devastated by Katrina, let's not help them either.

Your remark was harsh IMO.
Great post. You are 100% right with comparing this natural disasters with the many others that have occurred in recent times I cant believe that someone would even think such a thing given the severity of the situation. You talk about harsh. That comment is beyond cold. It lacks any human compassion.

I hope that all of the people of California stay safe. Take care of yourselves & your families. You are in my prayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles