U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:06 AM

5,468 posts, read 7,849,992 times
I'm talking about this plane: NTSB: DC-10 Firefighting Plane Clipped Trees Last Month - News Archive Story - KGTV San Diego (http://www.10news.com/newsarchive/13684842/detail.html - broken link)

Is this the Super Scooper you are talking about? Super Scooper For Topanga AFPA Aerial Fire Protection Associates (http://www.topangaradio.com/super%20scooper%20topanga%20Aerial%20Fire%20Protec tion%20Associates.htm - broken link)

If so, we have a bunch of those but I think the DC10 is a lot bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 10:08 AM

5,102 posts, read 10,000,689 times
This picture really shows the scope of these fires. (I admit it, my brain is having trouble comprehending the sheer numbers of acreage involved.)

EO Newsroom: New Images - Fires in Southern California

Old 10-23-2007, 10:14 AM

After reading some more, I guess California has the DC-10 on lease.

Here's a better story, comparing all the planes: Wildland

Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 AM

19,076 posts, read 13,605,899 times
The one I'm talking about is actually made in Canada. Not sure about all of these!! I believe, but could be wrong, that Canada has three of these Super-Scoopers but will not lease them during their fire season. I had not heard that CA had actually purchased one. But after all the losses a couple of years ago you'd think they would have.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 AM

413 posts, read 1,277,676 times
I think California has the best fire fighting teams in the country, if not in the entire world. Some of the video footage shows these men and woman being rained on in dark ash with flames all around them as the wind tries to blow them over. That heat must be hell. They are putting their lives on the line and I hope people show appreciation to them. If I lived there I would ry to bring them some meals and stuff. I think I'm the only one in my town who is keeping up on it, most people here think it's just a little forrest fire. But then again in 4 months I will be a Ca resident so I gotta keep up on my favorite state

Old 10-23-2007, 11:22 AM

19,076 posts, read 13,605,899 times
Yes, those firefighters deserve every bit of our respect! Those people are going without sleep, facing walls of fire, little to eat and drink and are climbing up rocky mountains all to protect our homes and property. I have had them around my home during past forest fires and I don't think anyone can say enough about these firefighters.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:58 AM

California has excellent emergency response. We get a lot of "disasters" here (earthquakes, fires, floods, landslides, etc.) on a pretty regular basis.

I don't believe we've had this many fires at one time though... At least not while the Santa Ana winds are blowing. Santa Ana's can be almost the strength of hurricanes, there just isn't any rain with them. Santa Ana winds are what's causing the fires to spread so quickly. I heard on the news last night, at one fire the fire travelled one mile in 5 minutes due to the wind.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:17 PM

1,184 posts, read 2,438,231 times
Attached is a link from the National Interagency Fire Center that maps all of the wildland fires in Southern California. NIFC is indicating over 300,000 acres burned or burning. To put this in perspective this is over 200 square miles of area.

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/#

Old 10-23-2007, 01:25 PM

51 posts, read 142,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
Attached is a link from the National Interagency Fire Center that maps all of the wildland fires in Southern California. NIFC is indicating over 300,000 acres burned or burning. To put this in perspective this is over 200 square miles of area.

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/#
Boggles my mind.

Image of the Day : This Fire is Out of Control

caption reads: "This Fire is Out of Control"

Weather outlook from all sources say Wednesday evening Santa Anas and High Temps should drop a lot. Good!

What's weird is that this hasn't diminished my interest in moving back to SoCal.
Just reminded HOW much I love it and the people there.

PAX

Old 10-23-2007, 01:30 PM

54 posts, read 216,886 times
Words fail me.

I've been watching it all on the news and reading online .... the stories and images are horrific. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in So Cal and especially those directly affected. They say the weather is going to get better or the winds will die down by Wednesday. We're supposed to be getting rain here in NYC tonight and tomorrow ... I wish I can send that rain to you where its badly needed.

I don't understand why firefighters from other states are not coming in to help. Personally, I think in times of such disasters, that should be mandatory in every state to send in volunteers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles