Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 11:54 AM

23 posts, read 103,357 times

Advertisements

hi all

I am moving to LA soon and am looking at west hollywood and santa monica. can anyone let me know within which boundaries I should be looking in in both of these neighborhoods (like, don't go south of this street, etc). I live in NYC so I know about the normal city precautions, but I'm looking for something safe, nice, not dumpy, etc. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 12:54 PM

52 posts, read 181,375 times
take a trip out there if you can. people on these boards are very helpful, but nothing beats literally scouting out the neighborhood. my wife and i did that last july, and we found west hollywood and santa monica to be our favorites... as far as hollywood goes, the further east you go, the shadier. even tho west hollywood is considered pretty safe.. good luck!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:07 PM

54 posts, read 312,522 times
Sorry violet42 this won't be of any help to you but West Hollywood and Santa Monica are my favorites as well. I'd love to live in either

Old 10-19-2007, 12:32 AM

76 posts, read 243,249 times
WeHo doesn't seem to have any bad parts. But the eastern part of WeHo seems more like Hollywood, the west more like BH. I love the Sunset Strip and also the part of WeHo bordered by SM Blvd on the north, Melrose on the south, LaBrea on the east. Santa Monica is maybe the best of the best I have seen here. But Pico isn't too nice, nor Colorado. South of the 10, the part closer to Venice, which I think is sometimes referred to as Dogtown (and Ocean Park) is more beach town-like, north more city-like. North of Montana it gets quieter (richer) and more suburban. Also, the higher you go in the numbered streets, the more suburban it feels, too, except along Wilshire.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:54 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violet42 View Post
hi all

I am moving to LA soon and am looking at west hollywood and santa monica. can anyone let me know within which boundaries I should be looking in in both of these neighborhoods (like, don't go south of this street, etc). I live in NYC so I know about the normal city precautions, but I'm looking for something safe, nice, not dumpy, etc. thanks.
There is a tiny area of Santa Monica, around the eastern end of Pico, that might be described as dumpy. There is even a gang around there, which has a nasty history. That very minor exception aside, SM is broadly divided between the rich (south of the 10), the very rich (north of the 10) and the really sickeningly rich (north of Montana). West of Lincoln is slightly more beachy but by no means bohemian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles