Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 PM

810 posts, read 1,337,389 times

Advertisements

^^^^

Most people in the US don't live in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 AM

69 posts, read 91,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I could understand you if you were living in Podunk, Iowa but you live in a major city, a major tourist destination that boasts a variety of culture. Nightlife, entertainment is a big factor for people when moving to a city along with employment, affordable housing and low crime. Miami may not be my most favorite city but its not like there isn't anything to do besides clubbing.

I hear you, but for certain things it is almost podunk. There are some incredible musicians here, but they almost never get the chance for real exposure because it's so isolated from the rest of the country and all anyone seems to care about are DJs.

There are many artists that tour nationally and internationally regularly, but never come farther south than Orlando or West Palm. Because so few care about live music. It's at least a 7 hour trip out of the state if you're carrying gear. Virtually anywhere else in the country you can be in a different state or, at least, hit a truly different audience in that time.

There are laughably few good publications out of Miami. Most are just laughable, with elementary grammatical errors, no style or flow and typos/misspellings/just the wrong word entirely. Not a good city for writers.

If you're in media it's not great either. This may be a fast growing field, but I've had more than a few people in industry seek work elsewhere because few want to pay for good work or pay what good work is worth. Photography, video production, post production, etc.

And crime is, actually pretty bad. Unemployment is worse than LA and, as many have said, wages are less and the CoL is really that different between the two.

It's great if you're a DJ into hanging out at the beach all day, though. Not even being snarky, but I don't care for the ocean much or doing the big club thing. I've worked in more than a couple and work at a hotel on The Beach now. I'm trying to get out of the business.

Also, I know NY gets a bad rap for rude people, and I don't know if it's a cultural thing, but many in Miami are incredibly disrespectful. Little things like holding the door in NY gets you a "Thank you." Here? Pssssh, people look at me like it's my job and I wasn't just being nice. It's so bad that if I'm holding it and they aren't acknowledging me by the time they're at the threshold, I'll let it go because I know they won't say thank you anyway.

****ing people try to slip in front of you in long lines and I find the worst offenders are middle aged and older women. And I'm not just talking driving. I mean like a line at the store or DMV or something. ******* trying to inch in front of me like they're invisible...

Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,604,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetWhiteKnight View Post
I hear you, but for certain things it is almost podunk. There are some incredible musicians here, but they almost never get the chance for real exposure because it's so isolated from the rest of the country and all anyone seems to care about are DJs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetWhiteKnight View Post

There are many artists that tour nationally and internationally regularly, but never come farther south than Orlando or West Palm. Because so few care about live music. It's at least a 7 hour trip out of the state if you're carrying gear. Virtually anywhere else in the country you can be in a different state or, at least, hit a truly different audience in that time.

There are laughably few good publications out of Miami. Most are just laughable, with elementary grammatical errors, no style or flow and typos/misspellings/just the wrong word entirely. Not a good city for writers.

If you're in media it's not great either. This may be a fast growing field, but I've had more than a few people in industry seek work elsewhere because few want to pay for good work or pay what good work is worth. Photography, video production, post production, etc.

And crime is, actually pretty bad. Unemployment is worse than LA and, as many have said, wages are less and the CoL is really that different between the two.

It's great if you're a DJ into hanging out at the beach all day, though. Not even being snarky, but I don't care for the ocean much or doing the big club thing. I've worked in more than a couple and work at a hotel on The Beach now. I'm trying to get out of the business.

Also, I know NY gets a bad rap for rude people, and I don't know if it's a cultural thing, but many in Miami are incredibly disrespectful. Little things like holding the door in NY gets you a "Thank you." Here? Pssssh, people look at me like it's my job and I wasn't just being nice. It's so bad that if I'm holding it and they aren't acknowledging me by the time they're at the threshold, I'll let it go because I know they won't say thank you anyway.

****ing people try to slip in front of you in long lines and I find the worst offenders are middle aged and older women. And I'm not just talking driving. I mean like a line at the store or DMV or something. ******* trying to inch in front of me like they're invisible...
If you're into electronica, which I am, then Miami is a mecca for the scene. The Winter Music Conference is up there with Coachella being one of the top musical events of the year. It all depends on what you want. I ate a lot of Cuban food, listend to Latin Jazz, went to hear house music way into the night, went to the beach and several smaller islands nearby.

I can see how it can get boring or after a while the club scene can get tiresome but the point was that you're amputating a major reason why people come out to Miami and making it seem like it's shallow to like that major selling point. You don't like it but that doesn't mean that others who do are somehow vapid. Miami boasts some of the best DJs performing some of the best stuff out on the market. For lovers of electronica it's a treasure trove of good music.

Yes, the douchey ness can be excessive, the people I noticed were a bit rude and anyone remotely toned thought they were just Beckham on steroids. It was ridiculous. But I expect that from them and don't get too sensitive about it.

Imagine being here in LA and dealing with the almost reverse of that scene. I could make the same generalizations about overly sensitive geeks, hipsters, boho chic yipsters, and "cool nerds" that are straight out of an Apple product commercial. Some of them are uppity yuppie people of all the varieties I mentioned above that will flip out if you're within fifteen of them in your car and will look at you as though you hell bent on running them down. A lot of them will react in the most absurd ways and dish out the sarcasm as though it were a weapon they specifically utilize for any occasion when their ego might be in peril. I mean there is a bit of a difference when some tall muscular jock-ish looking douche with ray bans at the club in Miami sarcastically quips about someone being from a town or State that is beneath them, but it is another thing entirely when the same quip is coming from some over the top annoyingly quirky geek using sardonic humor to mask his insecurities. The latter is more annoying than the former. Trust me. I would rather not get annoyed by some dork wearing a bow tie and non-prescription black rimmed eyeglasses than the Cristiano Ronaldo clone. But that is just me.

Also, the grammatical errors and misspellings you’re finding in the local media are nationwide actually. I too am surprised at how third world our national media is becoming. I find misspellings and errors in Yahoo News, the Houston Chronicle, LA publications, major online magazines, and even found one in the CBS National News hour. People just do not perform thorough checks anymore. Since the advent of Fox News, I am seeing hardly any difference between the media here and the third world which is saturated with sensationalist and entertainment driven stories. It’s good that you notice these things though because many people do not notice the subtle little changes and similarities between the changing US and the third world.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 PM

Miami's scene is sometimes too tribal/house influenced. Las Vegas and LA both have a better trance scene, LA also having a "glam electro" scene. Most wouldn't know it, but there's a huge difference in the two styles. I've noticed though, unless you specifically goto places that play the "underground" sound, you're going to hear mainly the same pop-EDM everywhere (Guetta, Avicii, etc). Guetta made such better music before going mainstream, but it's probably hard to turn down that sort of money.

BarcelonaFan..this statement if confusing: "I would rather not get annoyed by some dork wearing a bow tie and non-prescription black rimmed eyeglasses than the Cristiano Ronaldo clone. But that is just me."

Old 04-20-2013, 01:19 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,604,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Miami's scene is sometimes too tribal/house influenced. Las Vegas and LA both have a better trance scene, LA also having a "glam electro" scene. Most wouldn't know it, but there's a huge difference in the two styles. I've noticed though, unless you specifically goto places that play the "underground" sound, you're going to hear mainly the same pop-EDM everywhere (Guetta, Avicii, etc). Guetta made such better music before going mainstream, but it's probably hard to turn down that sort of money.

BarcelonaFan..this statement if confusing: "I would rather not get annoyed by some dork wearing a bow tie and non-prescription black rimmed eyeglasses than the Cristiano Ronaldo clone. But that is just me."
It means I would rather get annoyed by the Ronaldo wannabe than the dork in the bow tie and non prescrip glasses (sarcastic cool nerd).

Old 04-20-2013, 01:36 AM

Miami definitely has that "euro soccer" style more (although it's also found in LA), definitely not as much hipster/grunge in Miami for being a fashion city.

Keep in mind, the cool nerd, at baseline, is still a nerd.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 AM

69 posts, read 91,739 times
Meh, I used to be a lot more into dance music. It honestly just isn't that interesting to me anymore, with few exceptions.
I lost interest over the years. I'd rather see a band play than a DJ, and I'd rather hang out at a cool, divey spot than a club.

As for the scene differences, I'm not worried about that. I'll meet cool people where ever I go. I have a lot of diverse interests, diverse talents/hobbies and, frankly, I can't indulge some of them in South Florida because there is little to no support or community for them.

And an ******* is an ******* no matter if they GTL or read books.

But the point is just that (based on living here and my few visits LA), whatever Miami has, SoCal seems to have more and better, and a lot of things Miami doens't and may never acquire.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:38 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,156,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
The slightly-cool weather is one thing I actually don't like about LA...it routinely can be upper 40s/lower 50s at night for most of the year. Miami at 65 & humid in winter is better for those who don't like any cold.
But LA is warm or mild during the day-65F in winter, 84F in summer, 77F the rest of the year. Also, Miami has only a few days int he 60sF each year, mostly it is 70F and above during the day.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:43 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,156,491 times
I do prefer the Miami weather-I like the humidity, storms and heat. LA has nice weather too. For me, someday I'd like to move to South Florida for the whole Latin-Caribbean feel. Love that. Not much into nightlife, though, but I love beaches, so Miami has that for me. LA has cold waters. But I also really like LA. I'd recommend for the OP to give LA a shot, since she's never lived there before, and it seems more like what she's looking for.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:49 PM

507 posts, read 803,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I'm in LA and making the case that Miami has a much wilder nightlife. The fact that you lambast the notion that a superior nightlife is a notch in a city's favor tells me that you would fit in perfect here in LA with the mopey sarcastic crowd that thinks a party scene is too vapid for their superior tastes. I mean what would complimenting Miami's nightlife tell you about the people other than you think you're better for avoiding it it something?

Don't worry someday you will escape, come to LA and add to the multitude of insufferable transplants that say stuff like you posted. It tells me a lot.
LOL aren't you a transplant yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles