Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 AM

5 posts, read 23,660 times

Advertisements

Hello All, my family and I (wife and two 13 y/o daughters) are having a very hard time choosing a place to live in SoCal. We are moving from Texas out to California in 1 month (end March) for a job transfer. I can either work in Burbank and live in the Santa Clarita area (Stevenson Ranch or Valencia) or work and live in Thousand Oaks. Two different jobs but, very very similar so not really playing into the decision.

We have been to both areas a lot! We have looked at homes in both areas. We will be renting a house for 9 months and then purchasing a new home in the area we choose. We love both areas!!

Can you maybe provide us some info on pros and cons of each area. We have been all over these boards reading up on each area as much as possible but, I thought I would post a direct question out here. We really have considered many areas and have narrowed it down to these two areas. What do you think? What area would you choose/why?

What is important to us:
Schools, safe areas, neighborhoods (nice, clean, walkable), commute, dance studios, things to do, etc.

What are your expect opinions?? Thank you all
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times
For a number of reasons, most of which you stated but also some of my own**, I would choose 1000 Oaks, although it's pricier.

**Closer to Malibu and other beaches
**better culture/social/night life

Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
I went to college in Thousand Oaks, not super familiar with Santa Clarita but from what I understand they are basically identical bedroom communities of the San Fernando Valley. Thousand Oaks is closer to the beaches, Malibu, Ventura Blvd (most desirable / interesting / city-like part of the Valley) - Santa Clarita is closer to.... Six Flags?

I'm not sure why you would have to live in Santa Clarita and commute into Burbank, the commute alone is enough to make me say TO. I mean really, Thousand Oaks isn't that much further from Burbank than Santa Clarita.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,992 times
Santa Clarita is clean for sure--good schools too. Not really walkable unless you mean strolling around the paseo paths within certain subdivisions.

Commuting to/from the rest of Los Angeles, it's basically one way in and one way out (Interstate 5). Santa Clarita to Burbank is actually farther than you might think.

I don't know anything about Thousand Oaks.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I went to college in Thousand Oaks, not super familiar with Santa Clarita but from what I understand they are basically identical bedroom communities of the San Fernando Valley. Thousand Oaks is closer to the beaches, Malibu, Ventura Blvd (most desirable / interesting / city-like part of the Valley) - Santa Clarita is closer to.... Six Flags?

I'm not sure why you would have to live in Santa Clarita and commute into Burbank, the commute alone is enough to make me say TO. I mean really, Thousand Oaks isn't that much further from Burbank than Santa Clarita.

Is the Thousand Oaks to Burbank commute doable???? I have had a few people tell me it isn't?? If it is that may make things easier

Old 02-13-2013, 11:25 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times
TO to Burbank is probably marginally to noticeably worse than SC to Burbank.

But, not knowing what kind of work you do, I would JUMP at the opportunity to live and work in the same area.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
TO to Burbank is probably marginally to noticeably worse than SC to Burbank.

But, not knowing what kind of work you do, I would JUMP at the opportunity to live and work in the same area.

The position is with Disney in Burbank. But, we love TO and SCV....why is nothing ever easy

Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingNow1969 View Post
Is the Thousand Oaks to Burbank commute doable???? I have had a few people tell me it isn't?? If it is that may make things easier
IMO both commutes are terrible and I would avoid them at all costs. For that reason staying within Thousand Oaks is what I would highly recommend. A 20+ mile commute might be reasonable in some cities but in the LA area it can be life-stealing.

Thousand Oaks is one of the least walkable cities I have ever experienced, and not much easier to drive in either. But it is a safe city with good-to-decent schools and a close proximity to a lot of things.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
IMO both commutes are terrible and I would avoid them at all costs. For that reason staying within Thousand Oaks is what I would highly recommend. A 20+ mile commute might be reasonable in some cities but in the LA area it can be life-stealing.

Thousand Oaks is one of the least walkable cities I have ever experienced, and not much easier to drive in either. But it is a safe city with good-to-decent schools and a close proximity to a lot of things.

You may be right about life-stealing. If you were to put a commute time around each - SCV to Burbank and TO to Burbank during morning and evening rush what would you say? 45 min?

Are the schools (middle and high school) equivalent in both TO and Valencia/Stevenson Ranch?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:46 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Quote:
Thousand Oaks is one of the least walkable cities I have ever experienced, and not much easier to drive in either.
Not so walkable, I'll give you (although there are exceptions to that, too), but not easy to drive in? You're dead wrong. The main streets in T.O.have only minimal cars during the primetime hours of the day, and they're downright dead the rest of the time. Everywhere you go there's a parking place. Have never been in a traffic jam on T.O. streets, ever. Even at Christmas time, you can drive to the malls and park without a problem. Even the DMV is barely crowded.

As to the freeways, the 101 is rarely an issue as it passes through T.O., and ever since they widened the 23, that's cool too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles