Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 PM

16 posts, read 28,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollyoncruiser View Post
This block area around LAX would be my little slice of heaven. From Manchester Blvd south down to Manhattan Beach Blvd with the 405 as my eastern buffer. I love to travel so being able to hop METRO from the house to LAX would be ideal for me. Close to highway and major surface streets access, a plus. Minutes from the beach and beach cities. Plenty of shops, malls and plazas and a few nice restaurants. Awesome!

After that, a spot in the Westwood/Century City/Cheviot Hills area of LA would be nice.
I totally get this. Although Ladera isn't my first choice of neighborhoods per se, I moved here primarily because of proximity to LAX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 01:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
you're telling me! Last night, i go to whole Foods and get one bag of kettle chips, and a solitary bottle of Lagunitas IPA. the lady in line in front of me has a cart full of food and she's splitting it up according to what's dairy, meat, hot, cold, neutral, etc etc - she's got like five dividers on the convertor belt and it's only like three feet long... She looks at my beer and chips, looks at me, and goes back to unpacking her cart. Near the end of the transaction, she finally turns to me and goes, "I'm reeeeally sorry -" i think it's the first time I've ever given anyone the "talk to the hand" instead of telling them they were a blowhard.
I don't know what it is about money but it seems to increase eccentricity and neurosis. As soon as you said Whole Foods I knew your story before you even said it. I like WF as a store but never go because I really don't like the type of people that frequent these places. Was in line at one of them over in the Brentwood/Santa Monica area the one off Montana and this couple was in line in front of me and they forgot something. The dude, a European, looked at me with my one bottle of organic honey (it's good for the esophagus and I have GERD), and said you can go man...his girl spreads out her arms as if to be blocking out in order to rebound a shot on the bball court, said, "No,no no, just go get it, I'll wait here!" She was American and looked every bit the part of a description that I don't even have to give here. He apologized and they argued, I said don't worry about it and the cashier took me anyway. But the audacity of these people. Talk about "The type of people you hate in LA..." these types are in the top 5.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
I need to be somewhat central to the core of the city. Hancock Park is my best bet at this point in my life. I also love high rise living so maybe a top floor condo in one of the high rises that butts up to the foot of hollywood hills. Can't beat those views! If I didn't have to worry about traffic or commute times, I would take a mid century modern up in the hollywood hills overlooking the city in a heartbeat.
Yeah, Hancock Park is pimpin! Definitely a top 5 location in LA in my book.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Interesting you would say Catalina Island. It is really a cool place, love to visit, but I don't know if I would want to live there, plus, for some reason when I think of L.A. I don't think of Catalina, but I guess it really is to some people anyway...
Yeah, it's cool and people own homes there. They are maxed out over there as far as availability too. I couldn't live there though, the thought of living on an island scares me.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Tay lemme tell ya. When you are in your late 40's you might wish you had em in your 20's. My BIL is 48 and my niece and nephew are 10 and 8. And they wear him out. Now mine are mostly grown, and I'm 43. Long as they don't start popping out grandchildren any time soon, I've got some free time.

I did find myself drafted for some soccer tournaments in Sacto and around NCA when my BIL was to tired to go on the weekends. So I drove my sister over.
A part of me wishes that but I got married at 27 and I'm 33, we are trying to get knocked up by next fall but yeah, I'm going to be an old father but I figure by the time I'm 50, they'll have a pill you can take to triple your life span!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Wherever I can live with minimal people, cheaply (yes, money is no issue but I choose not to flaunt, even unintentionally), in a larger, older home, with some trees, and cooler summers.

Where is that in LA?
Northern parts of Santa Monica. Nice ok looking homes, not cheap but not ostentatious and quiet. Very cool summers because 1. It's santa monica, it's always cooler than the rest of LA and 2. This area has tons of treas and the whole area is really cool. I run through this area on my way to some of the trails in the mountains and it's so much shade the whole area feels chilly.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:56 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
A part of me wishes that but I got married at 27 and I'm 33, we are trying to get knocked up by next fall but yeah, I'm going to be an old father but I figure by the time I'm 50, they'll have a pill you can take to triple your life span!
Still a young man. I was born when my dad was 29. He stopped playing sports with me when I started beating him, not when he was to tired to play after work, hehe.

They better hurry up with that pill though, time's a wastin.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:22 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
I don't know what it is about money but it seems to increase eccentricity and neurosis.
The hypothesis I developed when I was a high schooler in Boston who was working at a gourmet cheese and wine shop in Cambridge was that when people have enough money to keep major problems or drama at bay (i.e., car needs a repair? buy a new one; TV not working? get a bigger one. tendonitis? go to the same sports doctor that Kobe goes to; stressed out? take a two-week trip to the Cote D'Azur, etc) they start to create problems and drama at every turn.

Every minor inconvenience or unexpected situation becomes an insurmountable nightmare, and a reason to throw a tantrum and freak the hell out. It gives them a reason to get up in the morning... it's their own personal jihad against the banality of an easy life; their private Mein Kampf that will never be read by anyone... their unending need to experience the hardships of life, but from a good, safe, ultimately inconsequential distance.

Some of them just make a big fuss over wanting to see managers or panicking when they don't have the right provencial cheese at the cheese shop; others start to insist that they can't drink water that hasn't been put through reverse osmosis because the free agents in it will give you cancer according to some blowhard "doctor" who's under investigation - er, being persecuted by the ADA for making baseless - I mean, radical claims that are shaking up the medical industry, or want their items to be packed according to color and regional origin.

Quote:
As soon as you said Whole Foods I knew your story before you even said it. I like WF as a store but never go because I really don't like the type of people that frequent these places. Was in line at one of them over in the Brentwood/Santa Monica area the one off Montana and this couple was in line in front of me and they forgot something. The dude, a European, looked at me with my one bottle of organic honey (it's good for the esophagus and I have GERD), and said you can go man...his girl spreads out her arms as if to be blocking out in order to rebound a shot on the bball court, said, "No,no no, just go get it, I'll wait here!" She was American and looked every bit the part of a description that I don't even have to give here. He apologized and they argued, I said don't worry about it and the cashier took me anyway. But the audacity of these people. Talk about "The type of people you hate in LA..." these types are in the top 5.
Yeah, the people at the Whole Foods (and the Rite Aid as well) here in BH's "Golden Triangle" do that habitually - get their cart to the line, start getting rung up, and then run off to get more stuff. Most of them take it for granted that's just what you do and don't even acknowledge they're doing it, let alone apologize... they just start stacking stuff, turn, walk down to the dairy aisle, get some enzyme-fortified Greek yoghurt, come back... walk over to the water aisle, get six different types of water... etc. Really, really obnoxious.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
A part of me wishes that but I got married at 27 and I'm 33, we are trying to get knocked up by next fall
If you are trying to meet a deadline, I could help just let me know!

Quote:
but yeah, I'm going to be an old father but I figure by the time I'm 50, they'll have a pill you can take to triple your life span!
Unless you are physically staying as you would be at a certain age, prolonging a person's life so they can continue to age until hitting 150 would not be fun or desirable, imho.

I don't even want to image bunch of people over hundred years old walking/driving around, stinking up the place with BO and collecting Social Security! That would also mean; good luck getting the budget back in shape!

Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Still a young man. I was born when my dad was 29. He stopped playing sports with me when I started beating him, not when he was to tired to play after work, hehe.

They better hurry up with that pill though, time's a wastin.
My dad had me at 21 and to this day will not stop talking about the time I was 19 and I beat him and I was blocking his shot and etc., and how I "barely" beat him. I mean literally he brought it up last time I talked to him a couple weeks ago. anyway, yeah, sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I had kids early like that, they'd be just a few years away from leaving the house and I'd still be super young! But those early years are hard on a kid (kid as in the 20 something-year-old parent) and you sacrifice a lot. I admit, I like the traveling wifey and I have done without kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles