Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 PM

74 posts, read 181,549 times

Advertisements

this is not a question for me,but for my new next door neighbors. they are a Jewish couple in their mid 30's who recently moved to LA from NYC. they like art and want to see the LACMA and the watts towers but they are very hesitant to go there because of the neighborhood. they don't have a car yet and will rely on the Blue Line as transportation. i'm not trying to sound ignorant,but they totally do not look the part for watts..both have natural light hair and blue eyes and they are sort of shy. i don't have a car either but i have been to Compton and Westmont and West Athens without anyone giving me a second look. i am white too but i have black hair and brown eyes and i tan easy. so,can anyone who has been there or who has lived in LA long enough tell me honestly if they can see the towers without being worried about the location? they want to go during the day and i don't know how far the towers are from the station. if someone can help me with some useful information,i will relay it to them and hopefully they can see the Watts Towers and take pictures without even thinking about anything bad happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 PM

164 posts, read 347,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody067 View Post
this is not a question for me,but for my new next door neighbors. they are a Jewish couple in their mid 30's who recently moved to LA from NYC. they like art and want to see the LACMA and the watts towers but they are very hesitant to go there because of the neighborhood. they don't have a car yet and will rely on the Blue Line as transportation. i'm not trying to sound ignorant,but they totally do not look the part for watts..both have natural light hair and blue eyes and they are sort of shy. i don't have a car either but i have been to Compton and Westmont and West Athens without anyone giving me a second look. i am white too but i have black hair and brown eyes and i tan easy. so,can anyone who has been there or who has lived in LA long enough tell me honestly if they can see the towers without being worried about the location? they want to go during the day and i don't know how far the towers are from the station. if someone can help me with some useful information,i will relay it to them and hopefully they can see the Watts Towers and take pictures without even thinking about anything bad happening.
Take it from someone who lived near the neighborhood and attended high school near there. Do not go there on the blue line. It is very dangerous, especially for people who seem different. your a robbery waiting to happen. Ive been there and done that. Trust me, if you don't have a car, then the answer is no. Going to see the tower isn't a problem, its that you have to walk the streets to get there if your taking the blue line.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 AM

27 posts, read 61,443 times
The only time I've ever been robbed in the City of Los Angeles was in Watts. Coincidentally, I was also going to the Watts Towers. I got lost though. I got off the bus at the "supposed" stop, but couldn't catch view of the towers. That should have been my queue to leave, but I stayed and walked through neighborhoods. Passed through some of the sketchiest places I've ever seen. As expected, I got robbed after about an hour of looking around.

The area around Watts is pretty bad. Like many places of Los Angeles, it used to be much worse, but its still kind of dangerous despite all of its advancements. Hoodlums sometimes hang out at the train stops themselves. Go by car.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 AM

733 posts, read 939,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
Take it from someone who lived near the neighborhood and attended high school near there. Do not go there on the blue line. It is very dangerous, especially for people who seem different. your a robbery waiting to happen. Ive been there and done that. Trust me, if you don't have a car, then the answer is no. Going to see the tower isn't a problem, its that you have to walk the streets to get there if your taking the blue line.
I've gone on the blue line with white people, they got dogged and that's it, in a somewhat similar incident I saw this white boy and dad that were very obviously going to the X Games and they didn't look like they belonged on a bus much less one that went from Downtown through South Central to Carson, I didn't see anything happen to them

It depends on time of day and what sort of attitude you have, if you're gonna be on there and give the impression that you don't belong on a bus or look all afraid then people are more inclined to mess with you, not all the time but often enough, I'd say to be safe they can try to get a cab to take them there, I've never taken a cab so I don't know about cost, but I'm sure it's safer than the bus.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM

164 posts, read 347,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
I've gone on the blue line with white people, they got dogged and that's it, in a somewhat similar incident I saw this white boy and dad that were very obviously going to the X Games and they didn't look like they belonged on a bus much less one that went from Downtown through South Central to Carson, I didn't see anything happen to them

It depends on time of day and what sort of attitude you have, if you're gonna be on there and give the impression that you don't belong on a bus or look all afraid then people are more inclined to mess with you, not all the time but often enough, I'd say to be safe they can try to get a cab to take them there, I've never taken a cab so I don't know about cost, but I'm sure it's safer than the bus.
I have never seen anyone attacked on any bus because of their race. I've seen whites on buses that go through south LA plenty of times. Its just stepping off that bus in South LA that can get you in trouble.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
The Watts towers are 1400 feet from the train stop. If you go in the middle of the day you are going to be fine. Metro advertises to "Go Metro" to the Watts Towers... Somehow I think if white people were getting accosted whenever they go there (or even every once and a while) they would not be advertising it.

The train stop is at 103rd St and Graham. The towers are marked with the "A": Google Maps

I'm a white guy, maybe a little more intimidating-looking than most but I ride PT all the time through the city (admittedly never to Watts though) and have never even been verbally-harassed by other riders or people in the neighborhoods. Sometimes guys will holler at my girl (typically after they have put some distance between us) but that is about the extent of it.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
Reverse Racism?

I only took the Blue Line ones but it wasn't too great an experience on the way...way back was better.

Just some rude obnoxious wanna be or possibly real gang people..

Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,744 times
I did a Google Map Streetview on Watts.

I was magically transported back to the early '90s.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody067 View Post
They will be fine, plenty of other tourist do the same. Despite how much the media scares you people, hood areas rarely have crimes committed against people of the anglo-saxon race. Self-hate is the issue in the hood. I'm more likely to get got in the hood than some blue-eyed person. Sure they might mess with you but cops are on that type of stuff. I can get killed and my case is closed 3 months later with no suspect. You people kill me with you lack of knowledge about places in your own country.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM

733 posts, read 939,436 times
Quote:
I have never seen anyone attacked on any bus because of their race. I've seen whites on buses that go through south LA plenty of times. Its just stepping off that bus in South LA that can get you in trouble.
I'm not saying that they will, white people hardly ever actually get jumped or killed because that can land you and the entire community in water, but they will get messed with, harassed, maybe mugged, when you stick out you're a mark, if you got a scared look on your face or don't have the attitude, you will get harassed and I just feel like if it's that much of an issue for them and if they're scared they can just call a cab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles