Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 02:07 PM

51 posts, read 108,010 times

Advertisements

Dear forum members ,

we are an european-african couple with one baby relocating from Switzerland to Los Angeles in April. Considering our cultural backgrounds (Swiss and Nigerian) we would kindly like to ask you for some hints where a nice neighbourhood for us could be. We visited LA last summer for almost 4 weeks and have seen quite some parts of the city.

Here are the wishes for our neighbourhood:
1. Some kind of walkable lively (not party but just nicely alive) area: The density we are used to is at least the one you find in e.g. San Francisco or Berkeley and last summer we found so many areas in LA where there just have been houses and noone to see on the street (except cars). I know that there is no dense city area in LA but maybe something at least lively (cafes, ppl nicely sitting on the street, shops). We walked Hollywood and Venice Beach, yet I found these areas somehow also disturbing (a bit decay was in the air). I heard good things about South Pasadena, maybe that would be an area (also my wife is a big bang theory fan )

2. We are an intercultural couple, so an openminded place would be nice.

3. I would like to live more closer to the ocean (I am used to fresh cooler air and some nature around from Zurich, which is with 390.000 inh the largest city in Switzerland). This is not important for my wife (she is used to Lagos with 18Mill Ppl and hot weather throughout the year). Yet I assume this is not feasable if I dont want to commute for hours each day . We both loved Mar Vista when we visited LA last summer.

4. Job is in Glendale

5. Budget is 2500 for rent

What do you guys think. Which areas should we consider ?

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Studio city near Ventura Blvd or the old town pasadena come to mind. I wouldn't live near the beach, the commute would be awful.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Burbank near the downtown area
Parts of Glendale(their downtown is more expansive than Burbanks)
South Pasadena
As suggested above, the downtown/old town part of Pasadena
Downtown LA also, but if you thought Hollywood and Venice had decay, you would hate downtown LA.

Of the above, South Pasadena and Old Town Pasadena are the most racially diverse, but I've heard a lot about recent police incidents there(Mostly DWM...driving while mexican).

But all of the above are nice areas and will put you close to Glendale(within 10 miles max).

Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Downtown Montrose (Northern side of Glendale) is very nice. Quaint shopping and dining area. Safe and great neighborhood with great schools.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:31 PM

32 posts, read 57,223 times
Not near the ocean but other than that you may want to consider the South Lake/Caltech area of Pasadena. I also agree with others that mention Montrose, Studio City and South Pasadena as options. I wouldn't want to commute from the westside to Glendale.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:53 PM

51 posts, read 108,010 times
Thank you guys for all your suggestions. I will add them to my list and we would have some drive throughs in those neighbourhoods.

Would you rather look for places to rent in craigslist or realtor.com/trulia or both? Is craigslist cheaper?

Thank you and Greetings from snowy Switzerland

Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM

32 posts, read 57,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmike View Post
Would you rather look for places to rent in craigslist or realtor.com/trulia or both? Is craigslist cheaper?
Just be aware that some of the rental listings on Craigslist are scams. As a general rule — if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
if you're a bit hip & edgy & like alternative urban lifestyles, check out neighborhoods like Los Feliz or Silverlake or even Atwater Village.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
if you're a bit hip & edgy & like alternative urban lifestyles, check out neighborhoods like Los Feliz or Silverlake or even Atwater Village.
I think Los Feliz is a great option. Close to Glendale for work, near Hollywood and Central LA for entertainment / dining / etc., walkable area with decent foot traffic, very hip area, safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles