Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 12:24 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
'm obviously not one of the wiser ones because I have no idea what a trailing stop loss even is .. please explain.
It's stocks. He is talking about putting stop losses on a position/stock.

Anyways SoCalMomma, we are going to be neighbors. We are going to buy a home on the lake in Westlake Village!!!! Woohoo! I can't wait to get back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 01:45 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
The rich will get richer and the rest will rent from the rich, making then even richer
Yep!

Original poster: I don't think you could get a loan from a lender for $500k with a $35k/yr salary. Even a shady lender would have a hard time with the creative paperwork.

I paid around 500 for my place a year and a half ago. At this time, the value has gone up. I intend on turning it into a rental and moving up to a house for more than my previous place. Gotta spend money to make money, and equity is a beautiful thing if you have it, thank god!

Old 10-24-2007, 02:26 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
It's stocks. He is talking about putting stop losses on a position/stock.

Anyways SoCalMomma, we are going to be neighbors. We are going to buy a home on the lake in Westlake Village!!!! Woohoo! I can't wait to get back.
Congrats!!!! That is awesome... I love that lake

Old 10-24-2007, 03:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
The key is starting the 401Ks at a young age. I started at 21 and cashed that out at 29 with a nice sum to put down on a house.
Do you think cashing out the 401k was a good idea?

Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
Congrats!!!! That is awesome... I love that lake
Thanks. I'm really happy about it and I love that lake too!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 04:49 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
There are also a lot of wealthy people who move here from other countries and buy properties so they qualify as "investors" for visas. Many Asians come to this country that way.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Thanks. I'm really happy about it and I love that lake too!!!
That lake was once the the Russell Ranch. I remember when they built the dam. The Los Angeles County/Ventura line bisects the lake. If you live in Ventura County you do not live in Westlake Village, you live in Thousand Oaks.

Here's a picture of the Russell Ranch, which is now the Westlake Lake.

This is how it looks today.
http://employees.oxy.edu/jerry/russell2.jpg (broken link)

Here is where you can find some very interesting local information on the Russell Ranch with books written by Mr. Russell.

Amazon.ca: Branches on the Conejo: Leaving the Soil After Five Generations: Books: Anne Schroeder

Another two by Mr. Russell are "Cattle on the Conejo" and "Heads and Tails … And Odds and Ends" You can probably get them at the Westlake Village or Agoura Hills branches of the Los Angeles County Public Library or the Thousand Oaks Library.

I've read them all.

Russell Ranch

Looking Back Through Time (http://www.stagecoachmuseum.org/pb/index.htm - broken link)

Old 10-24-2007, 11:42 PM

320 posts, read 1,732,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you think cashing out the 401k was a good idea?
absolutely !! I own two houses in So Cal one clear and free the other I owe 200K but is worth about 550K. Without the first house there be no second house. I can retire on my equity and will buy another house or three in CO once we move there and still own one house here. Not to mention we have still contributed to the 401K over the years and have sore saving there. Not alot but I plan to retire confortably by 55.

Not rich by any stretch but my future is safe when social security runs out of money.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:38 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,396 times
I'll be the first one to ask the dumb question: How did a ranch turn into a Lake? That's kinda eerie. If I were in a boat on that lake I would be fascinated to know that there used to be fields below me. Strange, I dont know why, but very strange.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
I'll be the first one to ask the dumb question: How did a ranch turn into a Lake? That's kinda eerie. If I were in a boat on that lake I would be fascinated to know that there used to be fields below me. Strange, I dont know why, but very strange.
Originally part of the El Rancho Conejo of Agoura and Thousand Oaks, Andrew and Hannibal Russell purchased the nearly 7,000 acres of the Agoura/Westlake portion of the property in 1881 and named it the Conejo Ranch. Around 1913, when the Janss' bought their Thousand Oaks Conejo property and also named it the Conejo Ranch, the Russells changed the name of their ranch to "El Triunfo".

In 1925, all but 165 acres of the ranch were sold to William Randolph Hearst. The Russell family then leased back their former property from Hearst. In 1943, Fred Albertson purchased the Hearst property and 100 of the 165 acres of the Russell's. In 1969, the American Hawaiian Land Company purchased all of the property.

While the property has gone by the names of "Conejo Ranch", "El Triunfo" or "Triunfo Ranch", and "Albertson Ranch", it is best known by its popular name of "Russell Ranch".

Due to the natural slope of Triunfo Creek and canyon the HALC was able to build a dam and a lake around which they could construct a luxury housing development in 1968.

TopoZone - USGS THOUSAND OAKS (CA) Topo Map

There is a great mountain biking trail from Lang Ranch to the Boeing (old Rocketdyne) rocket testing facility in the Simi Hills (Santa Susana Field Labs) called the Albertson Fire Road.

William Randolph Hearst had famous granddaughter.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles