Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,593 times

Advertisements

As far as I can tell, Sherman Oaks is a neighborhood in Los Angeles according to every source I can find. However the USPS insists it is a city if you try to verify any address in its zipcode using Los Angeles as the city (it swaps them). I'm noticing a few other websites not allowing the city to be Los Angeles if using a Sherman Oaks zipcode as well. Can someone explain what the deal is with this place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 10:51 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
sherman oaks is a neighborhood in the city of los angeles. as far as mailing address, you can use either sherman oaks or los angeles with the correct zip code such as 91403 and mail will be delivered to the correct address. much of the city south of mulholland uses Los Angeles as the city in the address (with a few exceptions i.e. san pedro and venice among others) and everything north of mulholland uses the neighborhood name. i live in the valley and i remember when i bought my home all of the paper work had encino as the city. when the paper work went to the escrow company, everything had to be changed to Los Angeles. i think it has to do with the local post office. whatever name the post office goes by is the name that should be used in the mailing address.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Yes, USPS's definition of city and the county's definition of city can be different. Can be a hassle when buying online too. Type in the city you think you live in an Amazon might tell you it is invalid.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
I've noticed this in my area too.. I guess it makes sense as it gives USPS two criteria to sort by

City should really be neighborhood but there is no place for neighborhood on a mailing label.

L.A is such a sprawling city with many different large neighborhoods.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:24 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
I think this is a function of how Los Angeles grew, through annexation of lands. Places that were first established as communities in name, and later annexed by the city of Los Angeles, tend to retain their local name, e.g. Hollywood, Van Nuys, Northridge.

For comparison, look at New York City's Brooklyn and Queens. The whole of Brooklyn is called Brookyln, NY, but in Queens, because the communities were settled first as villages and then got incorporated into the borough of Queens, all the addresses in Queens have their individual communities, such as Flushing, Sunnyside, Roosevelt, Corona.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Also, there is a pronounced status factor for some neighborhoods. People would rather say they live in Los Feliz than Los Angeles. People in Compton may prefer saying they live in Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles