U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-28-2007, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 10,080 times

Advertisements

Hi. This is my first post here and I'm hoping someone can help me find the information I need.

The building in which I rent an apartment is going to be torn down and replaced with condos (or possibly with new rental apartments). This is in West Los Angeles (not Santa Monica) in the 90025 ZIP code.

All current tenants are being evicted. We've been served out 120 day eviction notice and will be given our relocation money shortly.

I've heard a rumor that there is a law stating that current tenants have to be offered the option to buy a condo in the new development (or offered the opportunity to rent if the new building will contain rental units).

Can anyone confirm or refute this and give me a source?

My huge appreciation in advance to anyone who can help!

Best,

- Iggy-22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 09:54 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,734,117 times
Iggy,

They are required to pay a relocation fees in an amount that will depend on your age and # of years living in the unit. But, I do not think they are
required to offer you a unit in the completed structure if its being
demolished and rebuilt.

If the owner is building condos, I'm sure they would love to have you

here is a link to the LA City site that discusses tenant relocation requirements: Los Angeles Housing Department
and more specific: http://www.lacity.org/lahd/relocate.pdf

If the owner does not follow through and offers the existing units/re-rents the existing units, within 5 years, you would have right to first refusal. Cant link the page but search ellis act, landlord tenant handbook on the above sites.

or call the housing dept at 866-557-rent

Last edited by greggd; 10-28-2007 at 10:09 PM..

Old 10-28-2007, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the quick response Greg and for the helpful info. That gives me more to go on.

Much appreciated!!

Best,

- Iggy

Old 10-28-2007, 10:28 PM

5,163 posts, read 10,293,752 times
I have heard of this, yes, but I've just searched via Google, and found nothing in writing. I suppose if you're motivated enough to pore over pages and pages of the L.A. housing codes and rules, you'll probably find it buried in there somewhere.

Here is a phone number you can try: (866) 557-RENT, Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

And here is a website that might be helpful:
Los Angeles Housing Department - RSO Publications and Forms

Good luck to you, and I'm sorry that you're going through this. My apartment is under rent control, too, and I've reached the conclusion that when I move, I will either have to give up a bedroom, or pay at least $500 more per month - $500 that I don't have, of course! Let us know what happens, anyway! And welcome to City-Data as well!

Old 10-29-2007, 12:08 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,734,117 times
For anyone interested in the issue of relocation or laws governing landlords and tenant, here is the link to the landlord tenant handbook for city of los angeles:

http://www.lacity.org/lahd/landlord_tenant_handbook.pdf

Old 10-30-2007, 03:14 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,994,685 times
I live in 90025 as well. If you don't mind saying... which building is it that you live in? I'm curious to see if it's near me.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I live in 90025 as well. If you don't mind saying... which building is it that you live in? I'm curious to see if it's near me.
Hi LASam.

I'm in the building on the corner of Missouri and Beloit. The three buildings along Beloit between Missouri and La Grange are the buildings slated to be torn down and rebuilt as a single huge building. Not sure if it's to be condos or apartments.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:57 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,994,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-22 View Post
Hi LASam.

I'm in the building on the corner of Missouri and Beloit. The three buildings along Beloit between Missouri and La Grange are the buildings slated to be torn down and rebuilt as a single huge building. Not sure if it's to be condos or apartments.
It seems like there is a lot of redevelopment going on in that part of the neighborhood. This surprises me due to the fact the the 405 is right next to these buildings. What is the noise like living on Beloit? Good luck finding a new place! There's a lot of good rental opportunities in 90025, if you are still interested in living around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles