U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthtrader View Post
SC is one of the least diverse areas in SoCal.
Actually, this isn't true at all ! There is a very lively Asian community in Santa Clarita and a little "Asian district" in Valencia off of Cinema Drive with many restaurants and grocery stores. The Korean and Fillipino ethnic groups are strongest in Santa Clarita. The city of Santa Clarita is mainly white, but very tolerant of Hispanics and Asians. It is also very safe!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,843,216 times
I live in Valencia and I see plenty of people from all over the place. I also see the attitude that is does not matter much. I walk the Paseos daily and come across numerous people and the vast majority of the time I am met with a cordial greeting. Now I don't try to analyze where the heck these people come from, like are they brown people or just white people with a tan? I simply return the greeting.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:50 AM

3,681 posts, read 3,332,723 times
I live in one of the pricier areas of Santa Clarita and my kids go to one of the best schools out here. My youngest one's first grade class is 75% NON-CAUCASION. We have Asians (Japanese, Chinese, Korean) African-American, Phillipeno, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, and more...pretty diverse if you ask me!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:36 AM

37,703 posts, read 11,495,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I presume the poster meant Santa Clarita.

As others have stated, the area is diverse, though possibly not as diverse as, say, Los Angeles. In other words, the majority of the population is Caucasian, followed by Hispanics, but other races are pretty well represented, too. With your reference to Asian markets, I'll add that I've seen many Asians in my travels around Santa Clarita, and I know a few that live there.

If you're looking to work for Princess Cruises, their offices are next to the Valencia Town Center Mall. There is rail service to Santa Clarita, but you'd need to take a bus from the train station to the Town Center Mall to make your connection. I'm sure Santa Clarita Transit has buses that will accommodate this route. There are two train stations near there, one to the south in Newhall, and another to the east next to what was once Saugus Speedway. I don't know the routes or schedules, but I think you might have a better chance of making the connection at the Speedway station, since it's a pretty straight shot (west on Soledad Cyn. & Valencia Blvd.) from there to the Town Center Mall. edit: I just checked this and found Route 501 connects from the Santa Clarita (Speedway) Station to the Valencia Town Center, which would be your link to the train station.

The best bet, though, is to live in Santa Clarita if you're going to be working there. It's easier to get through the Newhall Pass (south of Santa Clarita) on those occasions that you want to go to L.A., than it is to do this everyday. I travel through the Newhall Pass on a daily basis (southbound in the morning - usually ahead of the crowds), and the travel isn't too bad going the other way in the morning. In the afternoon, though, it's a different story. The southbound traffic on I-5 is backed up to Magic Mountain Parkway on a regular basis at about 4 or 4:30 P.M. I would definitely suggest using the train if you choose to live south of the Santa Clarita Valley.

Train info can be found at metro.net | Transit Services and Information for Los Angeles County

Here's the bus info for Santa Clarita (look specifically at Route 501): City of Santa Clarita, CA - Transit (http://www.santa-clarita.com/cityhall/admin/transit/ - broken link)

I hope this helps.
-Joe
Great post but one minor correction. For train info, you need to visit the Metrolink webpage and view the schedules for the Antelope Valley line.

Metrolink :: Welcome

Old 11-19-2008, 05:35 PM

4,297 posts, read 3,446,360 times
Exactly. How can anyone say that Santa Clarita is the least diverse area in So Cal, have they ever been to East L.A. or South Central?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I live in one of the pricier areas of Santa Clarita and my kids go to one of the best schools out here. My youngest one's first grade class is 75% NON-CAUCASION. We have Asians (Japanese, Chinese, Korean) African-American, Phillipeno, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, and more...pretty diverse if you ask me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles